No Screaming Allowed on the `Screamer'

lumbingmi

Reaction score

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) - No screaming on the Screamer!
A suburban amusement park has gotten so many complaints from neighbors about bloodcurdling screams that it has instituted a no-shrieking rule for its scary new thrill ride, the Scandia Screamer, a gigantic, windmill-like contraption that sends people plunging 16 stories to Earth at nearly 60 mph.

Riders who let out a screech—or just about any other noise—are pulled off and sent to the back of the line.

"After the first complaint, our rule was no profanity," said Steve Baddley, general manager at the Scandia Family Fun Center. "Then neighbors said it wasn't just that—it was the crazy, excessive screaming. Then they said it was really all of it, the loud laughing, everything. Eventually, we said, `Bag it, that's it—no noise.'"

The rule was imposed March 29, nearly three weeks after the ride opened.

As passengers are strapped into the two metal baskets, the operator recites this warning: "We are required to remove you from this ride if you make any noise. If you feel you might make a noise, please cover your mouth tightly with you hand, like this (The operator then covers mouth with hand). If we hear any noise through your hand, we will remove you from the ride. So please remain silent and enjoy the screamer."

Those who dared the ride this week said keeping quiet is harder than it sounds.

"I think we were just talking loudly. I wouldn't say it was screaming," said 15-year-old Anna Matsoyan, after she and her little sister were pulled off the ride for what sounded more like a whimper. "It's kind of a bummer. It makes you want to scream."

The ban can also be confusing for the ride's operators. Last weekend, park employees stopped the Screamer only to realize it wasn't a rider who ran afoul of the new policy, but a customer on the park's miniature golf course who howled after hitting a hole-in-one.

Most of the complaints have come from residents in a pocket of neatly landscaped homes that are separated from the 30-year-old amusement park by a 12-lane freeway.

Tom Gardner and other neighbors acknowledge that living next to Interstate 80 is noisy, but say the Screamer has become an entirely new kind of nuisance. It is loud, lights up at night and gives riders a peek into backyard swimming pools, they say.

The 165-foot ride is so tall that the Federal Aviation Administration forced the amusement park to install warning lights on its rotating arms.

Gardner has moved his cigar smoking to his garage because the Screamer has marred the view from his back patio.

"I'm sure it's affected our property value," he said.

Given the new policy, will the Scandia Screamer be renamed?

"No, we can't afford a new sign," Baddley said. "Besides, it's kind of our niche now. Those who have complained have created a ton more business for the very thing they complained about."

wtf!?!?

i rather to scream "whooaaa baby go faster!" when i ride on it..

no one will stop me from screaming ;)

This might break the world record for being the quietest amusement park! :thumb:

Well... the interesting part about amusement rides is how some hearing people would comment how quiet deaf people are on roller coasters.

Sometimes, the entire ride would be populated by deafies and there wouldn't be a single peep out of them the whole time.

Anyone ever told you that one?

^^ deaf pp have voicebox so it s impossible to NOT hear a peep out of many deaf people on one ride. It s pretty hard to not screaming anything when youre going in 60 mph in open space.

Well... the interesting part about amusement rides is how some hearing people would comment how quiet deaf people are on roller coasters.

Sometimes, the entire ride would be populated by deafies and there wouldn't be a single peep out of them the whole time.

Anyone ever told you that one?
Yeah, I have.

I once brought a hearing friend to a deaf party. He was shocked to see how quiet it was. He said, "Damn, this is the quietest party I've ever been to! In fact, it's the only quiet party I've ever been to! Wow!"

I would've told those people to STFU. If the ride drops people 16 stories, people ARE going to scream...

what idiots.

^^ deaf pp have voicebox so it s impossible to NOT hear a peep out of many deaf people on one ride. It s pretty hard to not screaming anything when youre going in 60 mph in open space.

I don't scream on any rides.

Here's an idea... duct tape everyone's mouth when they go on the rides. :twisted:

WTF???? Screaming is a lot of fun when you are on the rides!!! JEEEZ!!! I am not sure if that is at water park or what? SACRAMENTO, I know that area pretty much (not all of the town, no just by I-80 to I-5 and HWY 99 and few others HWY to where I am going to.

Good lord I think the neighbors are forgetting that amusement parks are going to be noisy. If they dont like it, pack their bags and move. Stupid people.

Good lord I think the neighbors are forgetting that amusement parks are going to be noisy. If they dont like it, pack their bags and move. Stupid people.

Amen, why not sell their homes to deaf people, that way no one will whines lol. Beside I think that amusement park broke its record for being the quietest one, I'll check for it when the guiness book comes out :giggle:

I lol'd at what the ride operators tell the riders:

"We are required to remove you from this ride if you make any noise. If you feel you might make a noise, please cover your mouth tightly with you hand, like this (The operator then covers mouth with hand). If we hear any noise through your hand, we will remove you from the ride. So please remain silent and enjoy the Screamer."

That totally takes the fun out of riding roller coasters. :stupid:

I will be opening my mouth and go " "

What about screaming in ASL..will they pull us off?:giggle:

This is the most lamest excused for not to scream or you're out. I don't scream but do held my breath for a short period of time and besides I'm afraid of heights.

Does laughing hysterically fall under the "noise meter?" When I am on those kind of rides I just laugh hysterically instead of screaming. Dunno why. :giggle:

Back