No New Hearing Aids

November Gypsy

Reaction score
I have been, for the last month or so, laboring under the delusion that I was to get new hearing aids. The ones I have are no longer working for me, and I badly need new hearing aids of the 'behind-the-ear' type. I had applied to a program here in KY that helps provide hearing aids to people, like myself, who cannot afford them. My audiologist assured me that I would qualify, and being a fairly optomistic individual, I believed him, and I do think he believed it himself. The long and short of it is that I received a denial from the program today. I am in that uncomfortable place where I am too poor to buy them but not quite poor enough to be helped, apparently...though we just scrap by.

I am devestated. My baby girl is saying 'dada' and I cannot hear her. That's all I want, I swear. Then I will be entirely deaf with all grace and decorum. I realize that I will probably be entirely deaf within a year, and that no hearing aid is going to fix that, but I am heartbroken anyway. Heartbroken and a bit angry. Angry at myself for letting me get, again, very over-excited about something like this when there was no promise it would work out. I want to hear my baby's first word. Damn it.

Anyway, I know lots of you have never heard your baby, so please bear with me on this. I just feel like time is so very precious right now...Botts very kindly gave me a site for new programs to try that I will be tackling in the morning, right now I need to rant a little and try to readjust myself. Thanks for letting me get it out, as it were.

I am sorry I missed this post, November Gypsy!

But I know your baby loves you whether or not you can hear the first word:hug:

"I am too poor to buy them but not quite poor enough to be helped, apparently."

I feel for you. I'm sorry you were denied some help. Keep trying, are there other alternatives? I don't know what program it is that you got denied from, but maybe there may be others?

Too many Americans fit in this same category, unfortunately. :(

Oh November.....I am so sorry. Please don't give up on the hearing aids. Do more research. Contact the Kentucky Commission on the Deaf and Hard of Hearing. 502-573-2604. Tell them your situation. Ask them for information. Many organzations will help to pay for hearing aids such as the Lions Club and many other national organizations. Use your state resources to guide you. Please just don't give up. Good luck!!

November, I am so sorry to hear this news! I have faith that you will get help and you will get the new hearing aids you need...

So sorry hun, I am just giving you gentle hugs. I am a firm believer in manifesting, don't give up. What can you do to raise funds? Who would be willing to donate? I have been watching a 14 year old kid in my neighborhood try to raise funds so he can go on a school trip. He has been very creative and has even sold pointsettas at z-mas, pizzas, I think you are a talented woman, I know you are a busy Mom....but if there is a will, there is a way. Don't stop, don't give up, use your sadness and your anger to fuel you.

How bad is your hearing? There's some cheaper HAs sold over the internet for mild to moderate hearing loss and those with severe loss will hear at least some environmental sounds.

You could visit an audiologist or hearing aid dispenser and ask for a trial. Then youll hear your baby's words. Then if you can't afford to keep the HAs, you can return them within 30 days.

Hopefully insurance companies will start paying for HAs. They pay for CIs, no reason they shouldn't pay for HAs!

Oh November.....I am so sorry. Please don't give up on the hearing aids. Do more research. Contact the Kentucky Commission on the Deaf and Hard of Hearing. 502-573-2604. Tell them your situation. Ask them for information. Many organzations will help to pay for hearing aids such as the Lions Club and many other national organizations. Use your state resources to guide you. Please just don't give up. Good luck!!

She beat me to the info!! LOL I also know there is a 'donor bank', it's basically 'used' hearing aids that people have donated (like if they upgrade, etc) they might could help, is that what you were applying to the first time?? If it wasn't I can ask Adam's Audi to get me the info... I agree w/SarahNicole, use the state's resources!! I'll see what else I can find for you-- and PM you, okay??

:hug: I know how important it is to hear those first words~~

(added:I Pm'd you some info!!)

Last edited:
I know it really suck beeing in that place you are , I was once in it. I can't really help in getting you new HA's but I do have a suggestion that could make you feel a a tad bit better , work out some signs that are just between you and daughter it's not quite the same as "dada" but it will be something special that's just for you.

i hope you'be able to look into what the others have posted to you. You need and deserve HA's(Hearing Aids)
keep us updated!

I have been, for the last month or so, laboring under the delusion that I was to get new hearing aids. The ones I have are no longer working for me, and I badly need new hearing aids of the 'behind-the-ear' type. I had applied to a program here in KY that helps provide hearing aids to people, like myself, who cannot afford them. My audiologist assured me that I would qualify, and being a fairly optomistic individual, I believed him, and I do think he believed it himself. The long and short of it is that I received a denial from the program today. I am in that uncomfortable place where I am too poor to buy them but not quite poor enough to be helped, apparently...though we just scrap by.

I am devestated. My baby girl is saying 'dada' and I cannot hear her. That's all I want, I swear. Then I will be entirely deaf with all grace and decorum. I realize that I will probably be entirely deaf within a year, and that no hearing aid is going to fix that, but I am heartbroken anyway. Heartbroken and a bit angry. Angry at myself for letting me get, again, very over-excited about something like this when there was no promise it would work out. I want to hear my baby's first word. Damn it.

Anyway, I know lots of you have never heard your baby, so please bear with me on this. I just feel like time is so very precious right now...Botts very kindly gave me a site for new programs to try that I will be tackling in the morning, right now I need to rant a little and try to readjust myself. Thanks for letting me get it out, as it were.

Hey, how about the department of vocational rehabilitation in your area? Try googling for "Kentucky vocational rehabilitation" and see what comes up.

My fiance is profound Deaf (not as profound as I am - his is about a 90 - 100 dB loss) and he gets benefit from his hearing aids but he cannot afford them and for some reason even though my Medicaid form (we are both on Medicaid) says that it does pay for hearing aids they won't pay for his so he has to get them paid for by the DARS here (our vocational rehabilitation service down here). They pay for his HAs every 5 years, I think.

My Medicaid and Medicare did pay 100% for my CI (I have not had to pay one red cent at all) but for some reason even though it says on my Medicaid form that it does pay for HAs they don't actually pay for them, which puzzles me and is unfair and misleading. I personally think Medicaid, Medicare, and ALL other insurances should pay for BOTH HAs and CIs so that we would all be on an even playing field if you understand what I mean. I think it would be unfair to offer coverage for CIs and not offer coverage/deny coverage for HAs....it's just stupid.

Good luck.

I agree! So dumb not to pay for HAs! I know a few people who were forced to get CI for that reason, they even said they would rather have HA but can't afford it and CI was free so it was either CI or not hear(unaided) they did have enough of a HL to qualify for CI but they would have prefered to stick with HAs(which did give them some benefit) since they can avoid the surgery required with CI.

Wow. Thanks sooo much everyone. You have no idea how much better I feel just reading your posts. So many of you have great suggestions...I will be checking into every resource I can. There are some people in my family who have been unbelievable enough to say that 'if I am really going deaf so soon, why do I care?'. For myself, I think it's obvious. However, most everyone has been sympathetic and kind and I appreciate it. We will perservere! I am not willing to be a victim in this situation. Yes, I'm going deaf. Yes, I will have a great life as a deaf person. But, I am determined to hear my baby's first word, and I am determined to never let it be said that I let going deaf victimize me in any way.

Raising money (as suggested by Moon-child) is a great idea: and one that I plan to use. I knit, make candles, and bake bread...so I will be finding a way to sell that stuff for the cause, as it were. We are also going to hold a yard sale.

SarahNicole and Adamsmomma...thank you for the info! I will be contacting them today (not by phone, though, can't talk on the phone). I may also have my hubby call them, just for extra boost.

Kateweb: I love the idea! I will do that. She is so smart. She already waves bye-bye and I swear to heaven that she was trying to copy me signing 'I love you' this morning. (Didn't really look very similar, but I knew what she meant).

Deafdude1: I am profoundly deaf in my right ear and severely hoh in my left. We had thought about the internet option some time ago, in fact, when I got the hearing aids I'm using right now. As it turns out, that's illegal but I didn't know that for a long time and we really thought about doing that.

Lucia: Thanks for the info! I feel majorly for your boyfriend. Give him a hug for me. I'm on Medicade too...so, yes, I know allllll about them saying they pay for HA's...and then not. It was very depressing. And not everyone can use CIs, right? I mean, I'm pretty sure my hearing loss wouldn't be fixed by that. I don't get it. I mean, even though the whole hearing world seems so eager to think we 'need fixing' as hoh and deaf people, they pretty darn recluctant to help when it comes down to money. ..but, happily,we have lots of other options like ya'll are showing me.

Thanks guys. I'm not going to give up. I've felt sorry for myself, and now I'm going to do something about it. BIGGGGGG HUGS to everyone! Keep up the good work. I don't know what I'd do without your support.

Ya, you go girl! It is ok to take the time to cry, grieve, feel your emotions, but then ya just gotta pick yourself up and manifest your intent. I am sending some energy your way and a big hug!

Sorry to hear that you can't afford hearing aids at the moment.

Have you thought of silent dinner to raise money... your hearing friends wearing ear plugs and holding conversation over dinner they'll realise it's a problem you are having and may fork out some generous dosh!!

I had my Phonic ear sent to India when I no longer need it. I was glad to see my Phonic ear to go to someone less fortune than me. I was 10 years old.View attachment 13840

Sorry to hear that you can't afford hearing aids at the moment.

Have you thought of silent dinner to raise money... your hearing friends wearing ear plugs and holding conversation over dinner they'll realise it's a problem you are having and may fork out some generous dosh!!

I had my Phonic ear sent to India when I no longer need it. I was glad to see my Phonic ear to go to someone less fortune than me. I was 10 years old.View attachment 13840

*Looking impressed* I've never heard of such a thing, but if you came up with it, it's brilliant. I think I may do that (if I can get up the nerve to have more then two people in the house at once. Grin). Seriously, thank you. I plant to donate the hearing aids I do have when I can get some that may be able to help me. That was really sweet of you, by the way!

Back