No local group for me :(

RubyQ

Reaction score
Hi everybody! I'm reaching out and trying to learn what possibilities there are for me to chat in ASL with people through Skype or whatever people use these days.
More of my background:
I’ve been stupidly shy for most of my life and have tried to get on here several times since 2008 or so. I am now mid 30s and have two kids - having kids has really helped me become less shy for some reason. So here I am looking to make friends. :D
I’m an intermediate/advanced hearing signer.
Over 10 years ago I completed a 2 year Interpreter Program (NOT enough time to be ready to be an interpreter IMO. I certainly wasn’t ready and I never ended up becoming an interpreter). After that I went on and took some more ASL in college and then ended up studying Linguistics and teaching English as a second language for a while (so if anyone ever needs English help ;-) I’m a good teacher.)
I had one Deaf friend that I lost touch with because I’ve moved around a few times since my Interpreter training.
I tried to socialize but was too shy when I lived in Denver - which I now see has a lot meetup stuff going on.
Now that I’m over being shy and want to dive in - I live in a small town and there are no Deaf/Signing socials anywhere near me. :'(
I’d love to find some people to Skype with at some point. I’ll set up an account with the same name.

Oh, duh! I almost forgot that one of the highlights of my life was going to Deaf Way II in 2002! Being in a room where the lecture was being translated into 10 different sign languages simultaneously gave me tingles and blew my mind. :) (Being a linguist, I wish I could learn every different sign language!) Not to mention how the hotel lobby was filled with signers. Best experience ever.

Sorry for the novel. Thanks for reading!

P.S. My mom has Meniere’s and is 65. Her hearing is definitely starting to go and she can’t afford the hearing aids she should probably have already. Just thought I’d throw that out there in case anyone wants to give advice about being late deaf.

Thank you for the link, Bottesini! I appreciate it! I will pass it on to her.

Id love to talk with you! I'm in a small town too without any deaf activities. Know how you feel. :/

Sent from my iPhone using AllDeaf

Thanks MonaLisa! Sorry it took so long to get back to you. I've been super busy with family this week.

What part of the country do you live in? I'm in Western Colorado and I'm constantly looking for sign language meet ups but find nothing. It's the same for all of my interests. I finally get over being shy and then it's too late to do anything. :/

I did have my first successful Skype chat in ASL last week with someone I met on here. It was great! I'm looking to meet more partners too in case she gets busy with school. Thanks for responding. :)

Sent from my iPhone using AllDeaf

Let's Chat

Hello, So nice to meet you. When I lost my hearing I, too, became very withdrawn and felt uncomfortable in social situations. Learning ASL has helped. Having someone to FaceTime or Skype with to practice would be helpful.

Is that near Rocky MT Deaf School or Colarado Springs (where the State Deaf school is?) Colarado does have regional programs....are you in the middle of nowhere basicly?

Is that near Rocky MT Deaf School or Colarado Springs (where the State Deaf school is?) Colarado does have regional programs....are you in the middle of nowhere basicly?

deafdyke, she is hearing, not deaf or hard of hearing. She have a mother who lose her hearing being late deafened. I don't think her children are deaf, either. But if you are thinking that she could look into the Deaf school to find Deaf meet ups or Deaf events. Maybe that could be possible, I don't know. It is better to check into Hearing society or maybe check out for Colorado Association of the Deaf if they have in Denver or any big city. They will have Deaf events for her to join.

For me, I will be joining the New Mexico Association of the Deaf. Looking forward to meeting and Deaf events in August. It is better than nothing. The meeting will be here in Santa Fe. Not Albuquerque, which I used to attend the meeting with New Mexico Association of the Deaf many years ago. So, yeah, just have to look around what she can find for Deaf events. :)

Back