No deaf astronauts?

I didn't talk about warp technologies. That was Sheila. I think she's a huge Star Trek fan. :)

Nuclear engines would be used in space. Not for launching. Also, nuclear power is much safer now, especially here in America. We have over 100 active nuclear power plants and no incidents. I believe that we need to get over the stigma of nuclear power and start taking advantage of it.

Haha, yes, I'm a HUGE star trek fan. I really really really really really really want to see the warp drive or something like that happen.....it's kinda one of my dreams >_>

My BF said he'll work on the warp drive issue and I help him. ;) :P :P :P

I'm sure there are people working on the methods of propulsion for the space rocket to Mars and back.

Haha, yes, I'm a HUGE star trek fan. I really really really really really really want to see the warp drive or something like that happen.....it's kinda one of my dreams >_>

I'm sure there are people working on the methods of propulsion for the space rocket to Mars and back.

Like I said.... SpaceX. Their goal is to go to Mars.

I am not afraid of nuclear power, I live about an hour away from a nuclear reactor plant that generates the electricity that I use. It generates so much power that Arkansas actually sells this extra electricity to parts of Oklahoma and parts of Louisiana I believe. It is not the nuclear energy I am afraid of, it's the nuclear reactors chances of overheating during the space shuttles exit and re-entry in the atmosphere which reaches temperatures of 1,500 degrees Celsius or more during reentry. This can cause an uncontrollable nuclear reaction in mid-air with nothing available to stop it. No cooling tower, no cooling rods, nothing. Even if the nuclear reactor is not used for rocket engines, it may be used to generate electricity to power the ship. However nuclear reactors don't come cheap and definitely do not come in compact size. That is something to consider.

Yep, definitely something to consider. No need to automatically eliminate options because of a "maybe". I honestly think this is why the Constellation project got too expensive and failed. Too many assumptions then going back to correct assuptions. Also, space shuttle (while I do admire it) is extremely expensive, because it was ASSUMED that reuseable launch vehicle is cheaper than expendable launch vehicle. Turns out that it wasn't quite that simple.... (compare Space Shuttle with Soyuz, in terms of how frequent the launch is, how much it is per launch, how long they lasted, number of accidents, etc)

I am all for private companies (such as Space X) to have goals to go to Mars. It kicks the government sector (NASA) into gear. (Ah, one of the good things about capitalism). I am confident that NASA is here to stay.

Because I believe there is still more to learn about the moon from first-hand exploration. It would take about 8 months to reach Mars by modern space craft. Assuming they would spend a short time on the surface and have to relaunch from Mars and propel themselves back to Earth.
no. there won't be a short time on Mars. They'll have to stay there for a year for next window of opportunity.

This could easily be a long 16-18 month long journey. I don't know of any astronaut that has been in space for that length of time. Think of the muscles weakening from the lack of gravity. You would literally have to spend months in physical therapy upon return to regain your strength and learn to just to walk again. What would it do to your digestive system to not eat solid food for that length of time? I have a feeling while it's nice to dream big based upon technology but we need to take into consideration the physical limitations of what the human body can endure.
that effect has already been extensively studied. look at ISS. Typical duration is 6 months or so. The longest stay was 1 year by Russian astronauts.

Yes but you are looking at a possible 18 month tour and you are much much much further from Earth than the ISS so there would be no rescue ship to come save the astronauts if something were to go wrong such as what occurred on Apollo 13 where they had to make a new oxygen supply and had to reduce power in the ship to conserve enough energy to make it back to Earth and they didn't even make it to the moon!

Those warp speed technologies you talk about are decades away and likely will not see it in our lifetimes. As for nuclear power I don't know how this would work as the extreme heat of exiting and entering the Earth's atmosphere might cause an uncontrollable nuclear reaction that leads to a nuclear meltdown, this could be disastrous if it happens at high altitude as the nuclear air bubble could be spread to a wider area forcing an out of this world scale evacuation of civilians. Remember the Chernobyl incident? Now imagine that on a much wider scale. Is that a risk worth taking?

I wouldn't worry about mishaps with nuclear power in spaceship. We've blown up several rockets with nuclear-powered satellites inside and it's fine. It's designed to withstand the explosion. The nuclear power will fall into ocean and it will be safely retrieved by Navy.

But if the nuclear power did explode while in-flight at space/high-altitude, I wouldn't panic over it because it's too minuscule to cause damage to us.

Chernobyl and nuclear power in spaceship are entirely different. The amount of nuclear material used in Chernobyl is hundreds, if not thousands, times more than in spaceship so yea I wouldn't fret over amount of nuclear material in spaceship. It's very minuscule.

I am not afraid of nuclear power, I live about an hour away from a nuclear reactor plant that generates the electricity that I use. It generates so much power that Arkansas actually sells this extra electricity to parts of Oklahoma and parts of Louisiana I believe. It is not the nuclear energy I am afraid of, it's the nuclear reactors chances of overheating during the space shuttles exit and re-entry in the atmosphere which reaches temperatures of 1,500 degrees Celsius or more during reentry. This can cause an uncontrollable nuclear reaction in mid-air with nothing available to stop it. No cooling tower, no cooling rods, nothing. Even if the nuclear reactor is not used for rocket engines, it may be used to generate electricity to power the ship. However nuclear reactors don't come cheap and definitely do not come in compact size. That is something to consider.

NASA knows :)

and we've been using nuclear power in spaceship/satellites for decades. everything's fine. not a single mishap.

Well once I read about how some sciencist are trying to come up with a device that they can send to mars. This device would process some chemical and make it into a fuel. Then that way the rocket could travel with only half amount of the necessary fuel and once the rocket land, the rocket can refuel there then leave.
it was theorized that since Mars may have contain frozen water, it can be processed into fuel.

However... I wonder who would volunteer for such thing? I know I'd not wanna to go there only to find out that there was a error that won't allows me to refuel the rocket lol
a robot who drew with a very short stick :lol:

be careful what you wish for.

if warp drive is so fast that you can get to Mars in a day or so.... it would also means a huge disaster and a pollution worse than our current pollution. Star Trek explains this too and they have a law on use of warp drive within vicinity of Earth too.

Recall what warp drive explosion looks like?

Hey guys, I'm curious if you or anyone know if there are deaf astronauts or something like an astronaut, especially for the CI-wearing astronauts.

Google came up with nothing, so I'm guessing there is probably no deaf astronauts? Maybe there's no deaf astronauts because the hearing aids/cochlear implant might be not able to handle the environmental demands imposed on the internal/external processor. Also, I guess there's the issue of communication back to Earth or some control tower? :hmm:

I'm also wondering if it is possible to experience zero gravity in a space im a astronaut :roll:

I'm also wondering if it is possible to experience zero gravity in a space im a astronaut :roll:
yes...

1. if you have $$$$$ - you can probably hitch a flight at Vomit Comet
2. consider scuba diving. it's how astronauts train too

Back