No cost, low cost interpreting

Endymion

Reaction score
Lately, I've been trying to figure something out.

Interpreter fees are reasonable when you attend a sponsored lecture, a business meeting, or similar events. But what if I'm at a small club with low membership dues (Toastmasters, etc.)? Obviously asking for an interpreter at standard rates is pretty outrageous, especially since it may blow the budgets of some of these smaller organizations.

I've been trying to tackle this problem and have come up with a number of solutions. I'd love to hear what you charming, brilliant people have to say on this, though!

How can we make small events accessible to deaf people when interpreter fees are too expensive?

Endymion said:
I've been trying to tackle this problem and have come up with a number of solutions. I'd love to hear what you charming, brilliant people have to say on this, though!

How can we make small events accessible to deaf people when interpreter fees are too expensive?
As you all may suspect, I am neither charming nor brilliant! ;) I'll take a stab at it, nonetheless.

How about recruiting the unsuspecting interpreter to be a member? :) That certainly helps! One time, I attended a classic computing expo and lo and behold, a Gally alumni was also there! He volunteered to interpret some presentations gratis, and I am grateful for such ad hoc interpreting.

Another possibility is to use VRI, especially if the meetings are short in duration, lasting no longer than 15-20 minutes. Remote captioning is also suitable for this kind of thing.

Quickly mate with another person, wait a while and let things percolate, and then have the hearing child interpret the proceedings at your next Amway gathering. (Ok, CODA's, this was a tongue, ahem, 'signing'-in-cheek response!!! Put away the pitchforks!) :)

Recruit ASL students from the local ITP program. Some DHH individuals do just that, trolling the classrooms and 'silent dinners' in vain hopes of snagging an interested student or two to do some ad hoc volunteer interpreting.

Lastly, if nothing else works out, just have a deaf-only or ASL-only group! Viola! No communications problems there, whatsoever.

You knew I would reply, didn't you? :wave:

Honestly, I'm not sure what can be done to resolve these types of situations. Sometimes it's possible to find an interpreter willing to work for little or no money, but I realize that's not always feasible. Plus you run the risk of getting an interpreter who is desperate for work because they're lousy, or a student looking for more practice.

I guess this is just my long-winded way of saying, "I don't have a clue, good luck figuring it out." :mrgreen:

Can I safely assume that the semantic meaning of 'interpreters' in your post mean sign language interpreters? Or are you employing a more broad meaning to encompass all kinds of communication modes in both languages, English and ASL?

me_persnickety

I volunteer for these kinds of events, and I believe a lot of other interpreters in my area do as well because there are always calls for volunteer interpreting. I was taught by interpreters who believed that this is a necessary part of giving back to the community that helped teach you your skills. Do you live in an area where volunteers aren't readily available?

Eyeth said:
Quickly mate with another person, wait a while and let things percolate, and then have the hearing child interpret the proceedings at your next Amway gathering. (Ok, CODA's, this was a tongue, ahem, 'signing'-in-cheek response!!! Put away the pitchforks!) :)

This thought has crossed my mind, but I fear that it'll backfire for two reasons.

1) The hearing child could end up resenting me so much for permanently scarring his pysche. He'll plot a murder scheme in meticulous detail and then decapitate me in my sleep.

2) I don't produce hearing children, thanks to dominant recessive genes. D'oh!

Good Posting Eyeth

Eyeth said:
As you all may suspect, I am neither charming nor brilliant!
Brilliant!

Eyeth said:
How about recruiting the unsuspecting interpreter to be a member? :) That certainly helps! One time, I attended a classic computing expo and lo and behold, a Gally alumni was also there! He volunteered to interpret some presentations gratis, and I am grateful for such ad hoc interpreting.
I can tell ya, especially if you don't pass on that you didn't even request a terp, it won't making the hearing signer feel too great. Even though most people are willing to do it, it's not like "oh yay, I can join an organization so I can miss the point and enjoyment of the whole thing and make sure someone else gets it." It is nearly impossible to take and terp a class at the same time--- I know you get a lot less out of meetings and stuff too. Good practice, yes, scores brownie points with the deaf community, yes (if you terp decently) but...

Eyeth said:
Another possibility is to use VRI, especially if the meetings are short in duration, lasting no longer than 15-20 minutes.
THAT's a good idea. As long as the terp can hear the speaker, it could work really well. Brillant!

Eyeth said:
Aww, poor CODA's, lol. But that's what they're there for, right? :whistle:

Eyeth said:
Recruit ASL students from the local ITP program. Some DHH individuals do just that, trolling the classrooms and 'silent dinners' in vain hopes of snagging an interested student or two to do some ad hoc volunteer interpreting.
You actually can get some great terps that way! Make sure you find someone who is really interested and involved in the deaf community, (not hard to do, their sign skills usually give it away) and one who has taken/is taking some interpreting classes at least (you need it just for the confidence and etiquette). Seriously, you can get great free (albeit developing) terps from ITPs.

Eyeth said:
if nothing else works out, just have a deaf-only or ASL-only group! Viola! No communications problems there, whatsoever.
YAY! If you can...and then you will have the lovely hearing people that don't sign but want to learn trying to get an interpreter for free to join your group! (It happens.)

One thing Eyeth forgot, you could just get bilateral CI's, those make you hearing, right? ::ducks::

Make friends with interpreters who share your interests! Often, my interpreter friends will give me a heads-up about interpreted film festivals, street performances and protest rallies, because they know I'll be interested in attending them. A lot of public interpreting work can be done pro bono.

What about posting friendly requests on bulletin boards? Online and community colleges with quality interpreting training programs, for example. Does your state have a mailing list for deaf event announcements and deaf-related news? You could post to it too.

Lastly, you could try a more risky, entrepeneurial approach. If you want to join an organization that has exclusive membership, you could convince the people to let your "friend" in as a member at a major discount (or even for free) in exchange for interpreting services. I do not know if this sort of deal will benefit the organization, but it could bridge the communication accessibility gap for you.

We have no problem going to interpreting classes and getting interpreting students to volunteer at certain functions like what's described.

Usually the interpreting instructor will give the student extra credit for it as they done with us.

It wont hurt to canvas local interpreting classes for volunteer interpreters.

Richard

Most ITP's require their students to get practical experience, so that would be a good opportunity for them.

If the organization provides services or products, sometimes they can offer those things free or discounted as an incentive for interpreting services. That is, "barter".

Some civic groups include dinner at their meetings. Some terps will "work for food". :D

Sometimes smaller local groups come under a larger national "umbrella", and that organization will pay for terp services.

Some educational terps seek out opportunities for community work in order to keep their skills fresh in areas other than "school" work.

Whatever you do, don't "trick" a terp into an assignment. He/she might graciously interpret for that one meeting but won't show up again. No one likes to be blind-sided, or invited to something under false pretenses.

Back