No Child Left Behind testing

Deborah

Reaction score
Hi everyone! Anyone with kids in school knows that the spring semester of each school year is full of those dreaded standardized tests. I have VERY negative feelings about the whole NCLB issue--it is intended to make sure "no child is left behind"--but it seems to me that MANY more kids ARE getting "left behind" BECAUSE of it!!!! In our state, I think as many as 50 to 60 percent of 8th graders didn't quite make the minimum scores in math and reading. Right now, parents are getting those preliminary scores--MANY of them are getting info that tells them that their child cannot proceed from 8th grade to high school because they did not meet the minimum scores. Those kids often are making good grades and are on honor roll, but just did not do as well on the standardized tests as expected. They are all highly stressed out--they will have to go to summer school and take the test again. If they don't make the minimum scores then, I think they have to be retained in 8th grade!

On a more personal note--my daughter just received her scores yesterday. Since she is in 7th grade, the scores are not as "do or die" as they will be next year. She didn't quite make the minimum scores--she was close, but not quite there. They have to make at least 800 in reading and math--she made a 793 in reading and a 777 in math. She was VERY upset about her scores! She did SO well in school this year--even made AB honor roll--but this loomed over her head and knocked her self-esteem down a notch. She was really worried about summer school, not going to 8th grade, etc. I told her that she WAS going to go on to 8th grade--the tests NEXT spring will be very important, though. I don't know what more she can do--she studied hard and did her very best, but, according to the NCLB-based minimum scores, she didn't do "well enough". This upsets me so much--I feel that my child is in danger of getting "left behind" by the system ironically named "no child left behind."

From what I can see, NCLB lets each state determine SOME things. They seem to claim that any of these "make the score or you won't be promoted" ideas to be strictly state-based, not NCLB-based. Whoever is behind it is irrelevant to me--I just want my daughter to have an appropriate education, not one that either sets expectations too low OR ignores everything done in school in favor of standardized test scores. Not to mention, I have noticed the change in the school environment since NCLB came into being. As the spring semester begins, it really seems that the number one priority in our local public schools is these darn tests!! I have truly seen the change in climate happen--we have to get ready for the tests, we have to make sure the students do their best, we have to be sure that we make AYP (adequate yearly progress), etc. For months, the standardized testing is THE number one priority form any public schools--their funding is completely reliant on how well their students do on the tests. This causes a lot of undue stress in the educational environment, not to mention the stress on students to make sure they do well on them. My daughter is now terrified of 8th grade--she WAS looking forward to it, but now the pressure of: make an 800 in reading and math on this test next year, or you won't be going to high school!!--that is not good!

As I said before, MOST of our state's 8th graders did NOT make 800 or above in math and reading--I think math was the more difficult of the two. If "gifted" kids and "average" kids aren't passing it, how can kids with any type of learning issue pass it? I am really worried for my daughter! NOW--many of you know that I am planning to send her to FSDB for high school--if we can ever get ourselves moved to Florida, that is! She really really wants to go there. She was ready LAST year, but our move to Florida is taking much longer than expected. At first, I thought that as long as it happened within the next year, that she could attend 8th grade here and then move there for high school. Now I am worried about those darn standardized tests! I know Florida has them, too--I just don't know what Florida's rules are regarding the "do or die" aspect of moving up from 8th grade to high school. Aren't there any modifications made for disabilities? Yes, I know there are DURING testing--I mean regarding the scores. No, I don't want to lower expectations--I'm not sure WHAT is the right thing to do. I just know that my daughter would be devastated if she didn't "make the grade" on these tests and couldn't move up to high school on time. I also worry about things like: what if they repeat the test several times, go to summer school, repeat a grade, continue to make good grades in school, and STILL don't make the required scores on these standardized tests? Is my child DOOMED to be in the "special certificate" track instead of the "regular diploma" track just based on standardized testing? What if she keeps making good grades in school but falls a bit short on these minimal scores--is that enough to keep her from earning a REAL diploma?

Does anyone have info about these NCLB tests and deaf schools? Since they are usually state schools, thus public education, I assume they have to all take them and make the minimum scores, too. Anyone know how that is going? Apparently, the tests vary greatly from state to state. In our current state, there seems to be a BIG problem with them--if 50 to 60 percent of all 8th graders in the state didn't make the minimal scores, I would think that definitely constitutes a problem. Anyone in Florida have the statistics for their testing scores? I am wondering if I need to get my daughter down to Florida for 8th grade to avoid this issue here next year. I really WANT to get there soon, but money is a HUGE issue (selling the house, landing a good paying job). But I have some ideas up my sleeve, including moving myself and my daughter first, renting a tiny apartment and letting her go to FSDB for 8th grade, working anywhere I can find employment (I have a masters degree but haven't found anything yet), and then having my husband and son join us whenever possible in the upcoming year. I don't know exactly what is best for my daughter's 8th grade year, but I am beginning to question whether staying here is the best thing or not. Yesterday, she was begging me to hurry up and move to Florida so she could start at FSDB in the fall--for 8th grade--and not waiting until 9th grade.

All I want is to find the best educational path for my daughter. I want her to learn as much as she can and become as prepared for adult life as possible. I want her to have an enjoyable time as a teenager, too. I want her educational needs met, and I want her to have an active and thriving social life. It is SO hard to find the BEST resources for our children! I know the laws only provide for an "appropriate" education, but that isn't enough--I want her to have the BEST education and socialization that she possibly can! As she reaches adulthood, she will have to make many choices in life--I want her to learn how to make the BEST choices for herself, not just the ones that will help her "get by" in life. For the next few years, it is up to me to help her do this--and I am constantly baffled as to what IS the best choice for her regarding her education. I truly think that she will do MUCH better in a school with lots of other deaf students--i.e. a deaf school that is the right fit for her--as opposed to a large public school with only two or three (if that!) other deaf students. I think I have made the decision just from writing this--my daughter's BEST placement is in a deaf school. I will do whatever I can to make this happen for her. BTW--the deaf school in our current state is NOT an option--it does not even begin to compare to FSDB. We either have to move to Florida to get her to a deaf school that "fits" her, or we will have to look into sending her up to the one in DC. I would much prefer moving to Florida and seeing her each and every weekend, so that is what we are trying to do. Wish us luck--and please share any info you have about deaf schools and the standardized testing issues. Thanks!

Florida standardized testing

I just talked to someone at FSDB and I feel a bit better about my daughter and 8th grade testing. Apparently, Florida is not doing things as my current state regarding retention based on standardized testing scores--at least not in 8th grade. I guess that means that IF she did not meet the minimum score here when she takes the test next year, FSDB would not prevent her from entering high school solely based on those scores. I know every state is having issues with this NCLB testing, but I now feel that Florida is handling it better than my current state. I just read an article in our local paper about it--and the many comments on line, too. With so many students not passing the test and being told they can't proceed to high school, it is a MAJOR issue around here! My daughter may do just fine--she is not too many points below the passing score this year and she may bring everything up to 800 next year--BUT, if not, it looks like she would not be punished by being retained based solely on these scores. If we HAD to stay here for her 8th grade year, it wouldn't negatively affect her high school situation in Florida. Still, I am thinking more and more that being at FSDB for 8th grade would still be a much better situation for her. I think that she will receive a better education, may very well pass the NCLB test in Florida, and would not be held back in 8th grade even if she did not (as long as she keeps her grades up). I am always adding pros and cons to a list of why moving to Florida would be better for my daughter and our whole family--this is yet another point in the pro-Florida column! I know no state is perfect and there are problems everywhere, but I think Florida is the answer for us. My husband's job transfer is a bit "iffy" at the moment, but he does still think it will all work out and we will be moving to Orlando as soon as possible. Selling the house here is a HUGE issue though--it is very hard to pay the mortgage on a home in one place while living in another place--at least for us. I may be proceeding with the plan to move my daughter down there with me THIS summer--getting her enrolled in FSDB for 8th grade--and hoping my husband and son (will be 10th grader) can join us soon. I feel guilty because my son has to move in the middle of his high school years to accommodate his sister's needs. I really was trying to make everything work out for both of them LAST summer--I really wanted him to begin 9th grade in Florida. BUT, he doesn't like it here and he really does want to move, so the only problem is the timing. We wanted to move for his 9th grade year and my daughter's 7th grade year. It looks like it will either be his 10th grade and her 8th grade year, or his 11th grade and her 9th grade year. There just doesn't seem to be a way to have "perfect timing" on this for both of them! Anyway--I hope to be a Florida resident soon so we can get both of my kids on the right educational track. I know--many northerners, midwesterners, and west coasters may not think highly of any educational systems in the southeastern US, but there are some that are better than others. Honestly, because of family, jobs, and other issues, Florida is the best place for us. I am originally from St. Louis and we lived there a while--considered moving back there, but it just wouldn't work out for the whole family(especially my husband). SO--Florida here we come (I hope soon!)!!

NLCB has been a nightmare for many of us teachers. Seems like it has been a nightmare for many parents as well.

I think it is a joke!

And especially a nightmare for the students! This really does a number on their self-esteem! Just think how proud of themselves they are all year--working hard, achieving goals, raising their reading levels, accomplishing higher math skills, etc.--some even doing exceptionally well by making good grades and getting on the honor roll---lots of pride being instilled in their sensitive hearts. Then, boom, someone says they didn't cut it--and the repercussions are severe, even if you just missed it by a few points--kids who fail classes during the school year dread summer school and the threat of retention, but kids on the honor roll are beaming with pride and are in complete shock to be faced with "failure" because of a few points on these standardized tests. Look, I am all for challenging them to do their best, but the truth is, these tests are NOT measuriing what they have learned all year. They are arbitrary--and I can see that they are NOT reflecting accurately, especially not where I live! News reports are covering this like crazy right now--I think the latest figure I heard was that about 150,000 8th graders will have to attend summer school, retake the test, and if they do not pass, they will be retained. Think about that: 150,000 students retained. Many parents are protesting--saying they won't put their kids in summer school or make them retake the test so they can challenge the system by having 150,000 students show up on the first day of school--where would they put them--who would teach them. It is crazy! When that many kids "fail" a test, I would begin to think the TEST may be the problem--especially when a lot of "star students" failed it! Anyway--I feel for all of those students who truly worked very hard all school year and gave it their all--and were rewarded with good grades fror their hard work, only to be slapped in the face with failure from these tests. This is not working, people--obviously it needs to be re-examined and changed--poor kids have to suffer for the mistakes of the adults in the system!

And especially a nightmare for the students! This really does a number on their self-esteem! Just think how proud of themselves they are all year--working hard, achieving goals, raising their reading levels, accomplishing higher math skills, etc.--some even doing exceptionally well by making good grades and getting on the honor roll---lots of pride being instilled in their sensitive hearts. Then, boom, someone says they didn't cut it--and the repercussions are severe, even if you just missed it by a few points--kids who fail classes during the school year dread summer school and the threat of retention, but kids on the honor roll are beaming with pride and are in complete shock to be faced with "failure" because of a few points on these standardized tests. Look, I am all for challenging them to do their best, but the truth is, these tests are NOT measuriing what they have learned all year. They are arbitrary--and I can see that they are NOT reflecting accurately, especially not where I live! News reports are covering this like crazy right now--I think the latest figure I heard was that about 150,000 8th graders will have to attend summer school, retake the test, and if they do not pass, they will be retained. Think about that: 150,000 students retained. Many parents are protesting--saying they won't put their kids in summer school or make them retake the test so they can challenge the system by having 150,000 students show up on the first day of school--where would they put them--who would teach them. It is crazy! When that many kids "fail" a test, I would begin to think the TEST may be the problem--especially when a lot of "star students" failed it! Anyway--I feel for all of those students who truly worked very hard all school year and gave it their all--and were rewarded with good grades fror their hard work, only to be slapped in the face with failure from these tests. This is not working, people--obviously it needs to be re-examined and changed--poor kids have to suffer for the mistakes of the adults in the system!

Trust me...I am with u allll the way on this one. The reason I didnt elaborate cuz I am tooo tired to really express my thoughts after a hard day of teaching.

I wish this law was never proposed nor created in the first place.

I saw this thread earlier, but I really don't knowwhat I can say about NCLB that I haven't already said many times over.

I may be proceeding with the plan to move my daughter down there with me THIS summer--getting her enrolled in FSDB for 8th grade--and hoping my husband and son (will be 10th grader) can join us soon.
Deborah, I would strongly strongly suggest that you do that! FSDB is going to be an awesome experiance for her....Are you a member of the Parent-deaf-hh listserv? I have seen some educational dilemmas simalir to your sitution talked about on the list. Please join!

Deborah, I would strongly strongly suggest that you do that! FSDB is going to be an awesome experiance for her....Are you a member of the Parent-deaf-hh listserv? I have seen some educational dilemmas simalir to your sitution talked about on the list. Please join!

Hi! Yes, there is a lot of chatter in my state right now--lots of REGULAR education people talking about pulling their kids out of the public schools because of this crazy NCLB nonsense. Private schools are getting an earful right now! And that is just for all of the 150,000 8th graders who face summer school and possible retention based solely on these tests. It is insane!! Throw in any type of learning issues or disabilities, and it is ten times worse! AND there was an incident with my daughter last week at school--a social issue--and now she DEFINITELY does not want to return to this school for 8th grade!! Academic issues and social issues combined--my daughter will not likely be happy here for 8th grade. It has really been a roller coaster for her this past month or so. She WAS saying that she wouldn't mind staying for 8th grade--her grades were great, she received an award for AB honor roll, she LOVES her teachers, etc. Things were "ok" on the social front--same as usual, poor girl--lots of "acquaintences" but no TRUE friends. She is SO sweet and friendly and it breaks my heart to see her feelings hurt over and over!! This last thing to happen is the last straw--basically, the one other deaf girl(who really is mild to moderate hard of hearing) shunned my daughter in a very public and embarrassing way. I won't go into the gory details, but there is really no chance of her ever really being friends with the ONLY other deaf girl at this school. I mean, how fair is it that my daughter only have the choice of ONE other deaf girl to form a friendship with--when that didn't work out, she STILL felt isolated!! Anyway--many things happening lately that shouts to me: GET THIS GIRL OUT OF HERE!!! She absolutely deserves a better educational environment than what is currently available to her here!!

I am really scared about just up and moving--mostly financial concerns. BUT--we have done this before, and it DID take 8 months for our family to all be reunited in one place--but I think it will be so worth it. You know, it is bad when you have to choose between possibly ruining the family financially or keeping your child in a bad educational environment!! We are going to try as hard as we can to make this work out--both financially and otherwise. We do NOT want to end up in foreclosure with this house--that would be really tough on our family, ruin our credit, and make it difficult to give my kids the life they deserve once we move. So if I take my daughter to Florida and make enough money for us to live there, my husband will stay at his job here and keep paying that mortgage until we can sell the house. My son--we have discussed his options if we do this--he is trying to decide what to do. He is not happy here and really wants to move with us. He may have to sleep on the couch in a tiny apartment in order to do so, though. He really wants to live in Florida, too. I just wish we could make this move the "right way"--all of us together, the house sold and money to find a decent sized place for the family, etc. Who knows--maybe I will land a great job soon and things will be better than anticipated--and maybe we WILL sell the house soon! This darn economy is killing us!!

About the listserv--I think you gave me info before but I couldn't seem to get it all worked out. I would like to try again--I am dying to speak to other parents in the same situation! Please send me the links that you have again and I will try to get "on board" one more time. I'm not sure what I did wrong last time, but I never got "in" or "on" the listserv. Thanks for everything!

Just goes to show that the mainstream school environment is not even serving its students without special needs well. How in the world can anyone beilieve that it is the best academic environment for a student with a need for additional accommodation?

and now she DEFINITELY does not want to return to this school for 8th grade!! Academic issues and social issues combined--my daughter will not likely be happy here for 8th grade. It has really been a roller coaster for her this past month or so.
*nods* You really have no clue how common your daughter's experiance is. Middle school can suck so badly socially, even for nondisabled kids. Have you read Reviving Ophelia? Although it was written in the '90's about 90's teens, it's still pretty revelant. My friend Jane (who is in high school now ) read it, and she said she was openmouthed at how it described her high school experiance. Let me dig up the Parent-deaf-hh list info for you. Its a great resource! Hopefully you guys can pull it off, moving to Florida. I know there are a ton of people with kids who go to FSDB on the list, who can help you!

NCLB is one of the worst things that ever happened in Deaf Education (and regular education as well, for that matter). It is a ongoing nightmare. I even made a dartboard with NCLB lettered on it. *throwing dart*

Grass roots movement?

Does anyone know of any organized groups who are protesting NCLB? I have read articles here and there, but I don't know of any group efforts who have had their say in front of Congress. ESPECIALLY when it comes to special education and deaf education--surely there are groups letting our lawmakers know how their "no child left behind" is actually leaving behind MANY if not MOST children with special needs. I guess they were concentrating on the average students who graduate with inadequate skills, I don't know. They are "supposedly" trying to help THOSE kids not "get left behind." BUT--in the process, they are practically PUNISHING any children who need specialized education and need to have things presented in various ways instead of one standard way. If I can find a group that is advocating for the voices of all of these kids getting left behind because of their special needs, I will definitely look into joining. Kids need us to advocate for their right to a good education--instead of just complaining, we need to have our voices HEARD by the people making these laws and unjustly punishing our children. Is there a group advocating for deaf education regarding the NCLB laws?

I don't know of any group, but you're right. There is a great need for such a group, and I'll be first in line to join. If there isn't a group, maybe you can consider starting up one.

And because of NCLB, there are high school-level math and English integrated into the college curriculums.

I find that sad.

Back