No CC using upconverting DVD player

my 1 1/2 year old Sony DVD player is working on CC via Component on 1080i because I bought a new model sony HDTV. There is no CC when I hook up it with old model HDTV. It has do with Video port that has program for CC decoder or something.

my new lately HDTV doesn't support CC thru HDMI or component.

General, it doesn't work and obviously, you had expensive Sony HDTV and better support CC.

Yeah, my hdtv is Sony, it not work too

maybe they not understand, they did not look "Mode" on screen,
I use press Res mode on DVD Player swtich 480i, Sony show "480i" work CC
I press 480p, 720p, 1080i and 1080p, I try press 1080i mode, I saw sony's screen show 1080i, won't work CC,
or ...
maybe they don't know between Subtitle and CC, maybe they said work 1080p on CC (it is subtitle, without black soild background)

I wish they must truth, no fraud or cheat message, thank you

General, it doesn't work and obviously, you had expensive Sony HDTV and better support CC.

Damn right. As far as I know Samsung and Sony do have support CC via component because they built a latest program such as CC decoder or something in component port and I haven't tested a HDMI yet. pacman said vizio does now support it which is good news.

I don't think it matter what DTVCC or Digital CC your HDTV are capable of doing.

All HDTV set plays CC fine but on digial input Compoment or HDMI etc HDTV only capable of playing is DTVCC not older line 21 analog CC. You will need to use composite for older analog CC since that law allow them this.

Now maybe some HDTV manfacturers do add a feature to detect and play older analog line21 CC in digital compoment or hdmi but I have not yet to witness a brand doing this yet.

It matter what upcovert DVD player do with old analog line 21 CC if it will covert into the DTVCC before passing it to HDTV or just send it to HDTV letting HDTV manfacturers worry what to do with analog signals sent to it via componment or HDMI. Or maybe the upcovert DVD player just strip the CC out before sending it over HDMI or Compoment cable.

Upcovert dvd players takes dvd movies that are 480 and upcovert it to 720-1080 for HDTV sets so what happens to the line21 analog CC after it been upcoverted.

Now some folks here said that they still get CC on some brand of Upcovert DVD but only in 480 still or some saying they get it in 1080 only on certain brand HDTV etc.

I think the blame is on upcovert dvd player because they do upcovert movies or picture nicely but they don't do a thing about CC or they don't upcovert analog CC to the DTVCC which allow HDTV to display CC on screen since they only support analog CC on composte cable or any analog input.

But there is no law requiring DVD player manfacturers forcing them having to covert CC to DTVCC because the analong CC is still there and still can be picked up via composte analog cable so DVD player manfacturers save cost not coverting CC.

I think what need to be done is to encourage the dvd player manfacturer to also covert analog CC to DTVCC so probably have to write to manfacturers and tell them your thought and encourage them to do so saying that they will have more people buying thier upcovert dvd players if it appeals to the deaf commuities and we have a very huge commuities all over the world.

Two Chipset

EIA-608 and EIA-708

Wiki
EIA-608 for NTSC
EIA-608 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

EIA-708 for ATSC
EIA-708 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

maybe some work CC on DVD Player to HDTV is EIA-608 or EIA-708??

Nearly all DVD movies are equipped with EIA-608, that where some HDTV (also depends on dvd players) would allow to convert the analog CC on digital screen like 480p or over.

DVD movies are upscaling into high resolution (like 1680 x 1050 on mine) on PC, when use VGA or DVI, CC works on media center, windows media center and dvd player (mac version).

It's also possible to decode captions inside the player and display it over HDMI. (To the HDMI cable's perspective it's already 'open captioning')

With a built-in caption decoder in the upconverting DVD player, you don't even need a caption decoder in the HDTV.

The question is: Which manufacturers of upconverting DVD players have a built-in captioning decoder, so that it can work over HDMI? I heard vizio may do this, but not sure.

It's also possible to decode captions inside the player and display it over HDMI. (To the HDMI cable's perspective it's already 'open captioning')

With a built-in caption decoder in the upconverting DVD player, you don't even need a caption decoder in the HDTV.

The question is: Which manufacturers of upconverting DVD players have a built-in captioning decoder, so that it can work over HDMI? I heard vizio may do this, but not sure.

On high-def formats such as Blu-ray Disc and HD DVD, they are using SDH (Subtitles for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing). This way, you can get access, no matter what high-def (BD/HD DVD) players you use it on. Actually, I do prefer SDH over analog/digital CC because it's a guarantee you will get access, no matter what.

It's already a headache trying to deal with captioning issues with DVD players and HD channels on various HDTV displays because not all are the same.

Hello Banjo

I ask you question. Does SDH have Black Soild Background?
becuase I hard read on Subtitle, I am unhappy, I can read CC, I don't know about SDH's format, Does SDH have options choose color, size, fonts, etc..?

On high-def formats such as Blu-ray Disc and HD DVD, they are using SDH (Subtitles for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing). This way, you can get access, no matter what high-def (BD/HD DVD) players you use it on. Actually, I do prefer SDH over analog/digital CC because it's a guarantee you will get access, no matter what.

It's already a headache trying to deal with captioning issues with DVD players and HD channels on various HDTV displays because not all are the same.

Hello Banjo

I ask you question. Does SDH have Black Soild Background?
becuase I hard read on Subtitle, I am unhappy, I can read CC, I don't know about SDH's format, Does SDH have options choose color, size, fonts, etc..?

You can't manipulate the SDH. They aren't ASCII like analog/digital CC are. They are in fact, images. The style varies from studio to studio. Most are very readable because of black strokes or black background.

I understand that SDH and Subtitle programmer in Disc but not from Player

You can't manipulate the SDH. They aren't ASCII like analog/digital CC are. They are in fact, images. The style varies from studio to studio. Most are very readable because of black strokes or black background.

Back