no CC in old DVD using computer

paper

Reaction score
Hi, I am running on Windows vista and can't get closed caption to work with old commercial DVDs. Those CC show up in stand-alone DVD player when play on TV but not on DVD drive with a computer. i have tried windows media center, powerdvd, and a lot of free software for DVD watching on computer. I start to think the problem is Vista. I find that some functions can just stop working after windows update. Does anyone know what is going on? Is this Vista problem or DVD playing software? Driver?

This has nothing to do with operating system.

Did you try enabling CC from inside Media Center Edition or PowerDVD. I have both software under Vista and they work fine.

For Media Center Edition:

Using mouse or remote control, scroll main screen until you see "Tasks". Scroll left and select "Settings". Then click on "TV" and finally click on "Closed Captioning".

For PowerDVD. While playing movie, right click on screen and click on "Closed Captioning".

TVs with built-in CC decoder may not work well with computers, so you may have to enable CC from inside DVD software.

Also, how is your computer connected to your TV? HDMI, DVI, component, S-video, or composite? If you are using HDMI, DVI or component then TV's CC decoder won't work and you have to enable CC inside DVD software.

Peter

I will get new HP Pavilion laptop soon which including Cyberlink DVD Suite. I will check it for installing closed captioing encoder.

My computer is not connected to TV. I watch DVD on TV or computer. These DVDs work fine with TV with CC but not on computer. I don't see any CC when I use DVD drive. This only happens with some old commercial DVDs. I am positive that CC is enabled with windows media center and cyberlink powerDVD but I still don't see CC.

I have Vista and the Media Center's CC worked just fine.

Back