Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Supercharger

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Turbocharger

Votes: 7 43.8%

• Total voters
Maybe not officially, but:
Urban Dictionary: nos

And, you won't blow out the block if it is used correctly. Conversely, if you put on a turbo and don't match the top end to the bottom your crank shaft will be in the street.

Agreed on both, NOS or Nitrous, both are used interchangeably. I cannot remember the last time I heard the term "nitrous oxide" used in its full vernacular other that maybe at the dentist. They all mean the same, at least in street circles they do.

Second, ALL make power, some in my opinion, based on MY experiance, do it better than others.

Wet nitrous is an easy approach, but as mentioned by many, maybe TOO easy. The "bolt and go" will not lead to long engine life. Built right, a turbo motor on nitrous can and will flat out make serious power.

Maybe not officially, but:
Urban Dictionary: nos

And, you won't blow out the block if it is used correctly. Conversely, if you put on a turbo and don't match the top end to the bottom your crank shaft will be in the street.

Nitrous means nitrous

NOS means Nitrous Oxide Systems, which is a brand...NOT the product

And you can run low levels of boost on many cars without worrying too much about your motor will take it. Such as my car (A stock VQ30) can take about 7-9lbs of boost and not be destructive and make around 300whp.

Now if you were to run a 150 shot of nitrous through that bone stock motor, you have random chance of blowing that motor.

Simply put, any power adder; such as FI (turbo/SC/PC) or Nitrous; could blow a motor if not handled with care but for your specific goal any all of them can be used in certain amounts on certain cars without causing destruction

I've never used NOS, only raced against it. I could be wrong, but another problem was/is control. If you are doing turbo or a blower, do you have better control over the car?

Sorta arguing the same point here...............

I mean really ? NOS, yeah everyone knows it stands for Nitrous Oxide Systems (actually, I think there is a power drink with the same initials) Yes, I captilized the "N" because it is a name. True, I do not hear NOS nearly as much as "bottle, spray, juice, shot " or even just the number or stages you run. Again, this is what I have personally dealt with, your results may vary.

Control is a damn good question, my only experience has been in rear wheel, all wheel or track drive applications, almost all in a straight line, most up hill. Front wheel drive with a big shot ? That could get more than a little interesting in the handling department I would think, but again, I personally have never ran that application.

AGAIN...............my experience...........

and YES I stole this picture from "The Highlander" in his post above ^

Attachments

• Front-Mount-Intercooler-Lrg.jpg
    Front-Mount-Intercooler-Lrg.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 12
I checked out the cost of the NOS kit (bolt-on) is from $400 dollars to over $800 dollars from Summit. Plus cost of refill bottles... I don't know how much for refill the bottles...

I'm pretty sure what Hinglander was asking is why the after cooler is such an advantage ?

If that is the case, cooler air is denser. A huge drawback to direct drive roots style SC's is the heat. They are all compressors, when compressed a gas heats, when released from a pressure vessel it cools. Think about your car AC and the cooler it runs. Now, put it on steroids, turbo. Yeah, I know, way over simplified for so many variables, but in concept its there.

Which sort of brings us if not full circle, at least part way, turbo's take plumbing, room for the aftercooler, superchargers take the drive system, plus plumbing, nitrous takes smaller parts, but it still needs to be hooked up right and set for the motor, well all of them need that. On nitrous, cheater systems get REAL creative.

So, which gives you the most for dollars invested ? Turbo motors can live a VERY long life, roots type suprcharger motors, not exactly your daily driver, centrifugal superchargers are in use on the new Mustangs and I think the Lightning ran them also. Nitrous ? Never seen long engine life as one of its advantages.

Again, this has been my personal experience. Your results may vary.

PART TIME SUPERCHARGER JUST LIKE MAD MAX (Road Warrior)
turbos too messy...supercharger is bolt on without too much work, in real life, it works from 0-redline, engine easier to start...etc its a good tried and true only reason turbo is 'more popular' its because its easier to hide with bonnet shut...and you can have it routed such way so it helps the C.O.G....by haveing it spread over the engine more evenly...but then again the overall handling really comes down tochassis and rolling chassls (shocks/suspensions/wheels).
Nitrous, like turbo lots more works, pistons, rings, cylinder, compression ratio Have to be lowered (turbo is too but get lag) while Super fills up the cly with air everytime...
so
end of day for me...
is Supercharger
but if have it part-time...just like MM!! im sure it doable but to do that is ALOT of work, so just plain ol'd charger

turbos too messy...supercharger is bolt on without too much work, in real life, it works from 0-redline, engine easier to start...etc its a good tried and true only reason turbo is 'more popular' its because its easier to hide with bonnet shut...and you can have it routed such way so it helps the C.O.G....by haveing it spread over the engine more evenly...but then again the overall handling really comes down tochassis and rolling chassls (shocks/suspensions/wheels).
Nitrous, like turbo lots more works, pistons, rings, cylinder, compression ratio Have to be lowered (turbo is too but get lag) while Super fills up the cly with air everytime...
so
end of day for me...
is Supercharger
but if have it part-time...just like MM!! im sure it doable but to do that is ALOT of work, so just plain ol'd charger

LOL at that being the reason why turbo's are more popular. and just FYI not all superchargers stick out of your hood.

Better for what purpose?

Not much use discussing what is better unless you first determine what you are using it for.

so
end of day for me...
is Supercharger

Oh man...............the movies have REALLY made things ten time worse for what happens in the "real" world........MM and the on demand blower, wow. Remember thinking that from the first time I saw it. All of the F&F movies are the same, the modern version the "Dukes of Hazzard". But people believe it.

Back