Nitrition: Cholesterol -- Either LDL, HDL, or Both?

GraysonPeddie

Eye/Hear/Speech Impaired
Premium Member
Reaction score
When it comes to looking at nutrition for foods, like cereal (I don't eat breakfast every morning -- not even lunch, since I'm in a diet), under the Total Fats, is the word "Cholesterol" considered "good cholesterol" or "bad cholesterol?" I know that cholesterol has two parts to it: low density lipoprotein (bad cholesterol) and high density lipoprotein (good cholesterol). For example, aerobic activities is a good way to raise HDL and losing weight (I weigh about 210 pounds) is the good way to lose LDL. For me, it is important that I must keep LDL low while keeping HDL high.

But the "cholesterol" in nutritions is quite generic, so I'd really want to know about the cholesterol when it comes to looking at nutrition.

I think it depends on what you are eating. When it comes to breakfast cereal like Cheerios, I assume they mean bad cholesterol since this is what they often refer to in their TV commercials. (i.e. lowering cholesterol by 4% in 6 weeks) This would be a good question to ask your GP or dietician if you have one.

4% in 6 weeks is not that much for Cherrios, but having a couple amounts of low-density lipoprotein while Cheerios claims that I can lose 4% of low-density lipoprotein in 6 weeks just seem to contradict itself.

4% in 6 weeks is not that much for Cherrios, but having a couple amounts of low-density lipoprotein while Cheerios claims that I can lose 4% of low-density lipoprotein in 6 weeks just seem to contradict itself.

I agree. I don't pay attention to claims made by any food manufacturer because they will do whatever they can to make their studies reflect the results they want them to.

Back