Nintendo recalls 3.2 million Wiimote wrist straps

kurtcs

Reaction score
Nintendo recalls 3.2m Wii straps, And 200,000 AC adapters for DS in Japan

The announcement follows scores of complaints about the wrist straps breaking during use.

The strap is connected to a motion sensitive controller which is used to control the on-screen action.

There have been many reports of Wii controllers slipping out of hands and smashing TVs and windows - although some of the photos online are faked.

The company has also recalled 200,000 AC adapters for its DS and DS Lite consoles in Japan.

Nintendo said the recall would not affect adapters overseas, and company executives expected only a small impact on earnings.

The strap recall affects all Nintendo Wiis sold worldwide and almost all units currently on shelves in shops. Nintendo has targetted sales of four million Wii consoles by the end of 2006.

The console has been a huge hit for the company with more than 325,000 machines sold in Europe in just two days, more than 600,000 sold in the US and more than 400,000 on launch day in Japan.

No information was immediately available about how customers can return their Wii straps.

The Wii strap is an important safety feature of the controller - which is waved around vigorously in a typical game. Games for the Wii all feature regular safety messages reminded players to keep the wrist strap on.

Sources from: BBC NEWS | Technology | Nintendo respond to Wii breakages

Nintendo shouldn't have to recall the straps. The consumers are to be blamed.

Posted on Fri, Dec. 15, 2006
email this
print this
Nintendo recalls 3.2 million straps for Wii game
By Associated Press

TOKYO - Japanese gamemaker Nintendo today announced the recall of 3.2 million straps for its popular Wii computer game controllers.

In recent weeks, the Web has been full of reports of excited gamers losing their grip on the Wii's controller or smacking their arms into nearby objects.

After issuing a general ``calm down'' to its customers a week ago, Nintendo Co. responded by quietly beefing up the controller's fabric wrist strap, spokeswoman Beth Llewelyn said.

The recall was announced after Llewelyn made her comment.

The stories of damage and injury certainly haven't hurt sales. The market research company NPD Group estimates that U.S. consumers bought 476,000 Wiis in the two weeks following its Nov. 17 launch. That beat Sony Corp.'s PlayStation 3 console, which sold just under 200,000 units in roughly the same period amid widespread shortages.

Some analysts, like P.J. McNealy at American Technology Research, say the Wii isn't exactly a direct competitor with the PS3 because Nintendo purposely avoided getting into a war over which system has the hottest graphics.

Instead, Nintendo has focused on capturing customers outside the traditional niche of quick-fingered young males by playing up the Wii's ability to get people swinging their wireless controllers like swords, baseballs or golf clubs.

That's why the missiles began flying. The Wii's popular sports games, included with the console, appear to be the main source of gamers losing their grip on the devices that look like TV remotes, Nintendo of America's Llewelyn said.

``It's kind of this novel way to play, and I think people are just figuring that out and may have gotten a little overexcited when they were playing,'' Llewelyn said.

That's what happened to Jessica Chobot, a writer at gaming Web site IGN.com, who sprained and cut a finger on her right hand while trying rally for a comeback victory in Wii baseball.

In the excitement of trying to put a little something extra on her fastball, Chobot said, she got a little too close to her thick wooden coffee table.

``You obviously don't need to go through all the motions, but I did because I was frustrated, and smashed my hand along with the Wii controller right into the table as hard as I possibly could,'' she said.

The impact sent a few Wii parts flying, but the remote lived up to Nintendo's reputation for durable hardware and quickly snapped back together.

``The controller still works, and that's the important thing,'' Chobot said, adding that her finger seems to mending well.

Llewelyn insists Nintendo has only verified a few scattered instances of Wii remotes flying because of faulty wrist straps.

I already placed an order for 4 straps earlier today.

I already placed an order for 4 straps earlier today.
Ahh... I take it you're one of those players who fling their Wii-motes and wave their hands and arms like a helpless maniac? ;)

Nintendo shouldn't have to recall the straps. The consumers are to be blamed.
:werd:

It's like every other problem. People look for something or someone else to blame. :roll:

Sure, I know there's been casualties, and lots of them, but seriously.....

I think people are taking their console'ing a bit tooooooo far.. :D

This is a repost, I posted that already yesterday. Please check before double posting the same thing, except the AC adaptor recall.

so far I havent had any problems with the straps since I got it on thanksgiving...

Ahh... I take it you're one of those players who fling their Wii-motes and wave their hands and arms like a helpless maniac? ;)

(chuckles)

No, I just figured that I'll take advantage of it and replace the straps on my remotes. I have 4 of them, and I wouldn't want any of them to get broken by a friend or somebody.

So, just a precaution.

(chuckles)

No, I just figured that I'll take advantage of it and replace the straps on my remotes. I have 4 of them, and I wouldn't want any of them to get broken by a friend or somebody.

So, just a precaution.
Ah... "by a friend"... good excuse. ;)

I have a few friends who have a Wii. One of them is overly paranoid about his Wii-mote. He expects everyone to wear the strap as well. When I'm helping him out with his Zelda game, he's always taking off the strap just to let me do something for a second. Argh! :(

Back