Nice to meet you

LindaBob

Reaction score
Hi there,

Grew up in NY (orange county). Lost my much of my hearing about age 20 (50 now), genetic reason. Progressively lost more (now -70dB, & -90dB). Understanding speech is hard with the HAs and impossible without them. Pretty good lipreader ;-)

Learning ASL (2nd year) - my husband is learning too! - We can have a halfway decent conversation and I am LOVING ditching the HAs whenever I can!

It's not the easiest transition to make (using ASL instead of English), but it's going ok! I'm sure it'll become easier with experience. For now, I understand ASL about as well as I understand English (which ain't that great, lol).

Nice to meet you,
~lb

Thanks for the welcome!

Happy to be here!
Looking forward to a long an interesting relationship!
~lb

thanks! my HA's are also funky. Maroon with aqua and white molds.
why be boring?

now, if I can just figure out how to post properly. I meant to say thanks to everyone that welcomed me. I'll get it down. thanks for your patience!

Hi :) I also have a genetic hearing loss later in life. I have been learning ASL for a few years. I love not having to read lips too! Its like kicking my shoes off when I can use sign and not have to read lips. Just so relaxing and a load off to not have to concentrate so hard all the time :) Welcome to AllDeaf

What do you do?

It's true. Using sign is much more relaxing! I still struggle with when the family is over and they are rambling away. My husband isn't a good enough signer to interpret all of that. Besides which, that would interfere with his own fun. For the most part I just watch. What do you do?

I try to read lips and rely on what hearing I have. I smile and nod a lot because when lots of people chat at once I can't understand anything anyone is saying. I remind them that I'm hard on hearing and ask them to not all chat at once or while they are chewing. But usually they forget soon and so I go back to the smile and nod. It's frustrating, but I'm pretty used to it now.

@BrittBritt, thx, pretty much the same here. I am thinking stopping the smiling and nodding though, it's too much work and it makes them think I know what's going on. I won't be mean or anything but I will stop using a look on my face that makes them *think* I am understanding.

thanks! my HA's are also funky. Maroon with aqua and white molds.
why be boring?

that's cute! :D I have purple hearing aids with my red and yellow earmolds *no, not full colored, just colors, clear, glittery and also cat's eye!*

2mpeex2.jpg

@BrittBritt, thx, pretty much the same here. I am thinking stopping the smiling and nodding though, it's too much work and it makes them think I know what's going on. I won't be mean or anything but I will stop using a look on my face that makes them *think* I am understanding.

Feel so many deafies just nod their head but actually don't know what the heck is going on....:giggle:...sure beats trying to listen to boring people but at times can really be hilarious...oh well.

I joke that I am like the roomba, you know that little automatic vac? It just wanders around and washes up. That's the easiest thing for me to do just keep busy like that. Otherwise just sit and watch. I find it better when they know I am in my own world.

Back