Nice to meet you!

Hayden

Reaction score
Hello,
My name is Hayden. I'm a sophomore in college studying fisheries and wildlife. I have two dogs, a Pit Bull and a Dachshund. The Dachshund is blind, has brain damage, can't feel pain and we recently discovered he doesn't have knee caps, but he's really cute so we keep him around. :lol: I like horseback riding, hiking, and looking for wild animals like snakes and tarantulas! I want to go to law school after undergrad.
I was raised in a hearing family who opted not to teach me ASL or expose me to Deaf culture. I speak really well, but I would like to learn to sign. I know enough to get by in a conversation, but I want to be able to to really express myself through ASL. I also don't know any Deaf people in real life, so I am hoping to make friends who can teach me about the culture.
Anyway, I look forward to meeting you all! :)

Thank you caz and smith!
Caz, sometimes I feel that way, too, but I try to put myself in my parents' shoes. They did what they thought was best for me and I can't be angry at them for that. All I can do is try to immerse myself in Deaf culture now to make up for lost time! :)

OMG, yes.in that case go to Gally as a visiting student. You will LOVE IT.

I thought so! I'm very embarrassed that my ASL is so poor, though. Do you think people will be understanding?

I thought so! I'm very embarrassed that my ASL is so poor, though. Do you think people will be understanding?

There are tons of new signers there. I have a friend who goes there and she said its not like in the old days when the bulk of the enrollment was made up of res school deaf program kids..there are a ton of new signers and hoh people there too

That's good to know! :) I would very much like to be a part of Deaf culture, but because I was raised hearing and I speak well I always feel like I am not deaf enough to participate, or that I won't be accepted. That's part of why I joined this website, to work up some courage and make new friends. :)

i not american but i know all about Gally all the world do and you lucky to have it so take advantage

Welcome.

Please keep in mind that do not give up or don't take any offend or anything, just be bold when you learn ASL and the Deaf culture. Remember everyone is different.

Back