Nic ????

codaterp

Reaction score
I am an Interpreter who works primarily in education and for religious ceremonies as well. I have been interpreting for 16 years. I never completed a program, but I have taken many courses over the years to maintain my state license for educational interpreting. I never felt the need to invest in national certification because it would not benefit me in my place of employment (which I love and plan to continue doing). However, a few months ago I decided that I wanted to go for NIC certification for myself. After becoming an RID member I found out that in order to take the performance test after June 30th, I will need to either have an associates degree. I also noticed that there is an alternative to the associates degree. Does anyone know what the alternative to the associates degree would require?

I don't know what that alternative would be. Have you called RID office or you can look at the website RID - in the Frequently asked questions. Hope that helps you :)

Here's the information from the RID website:
There will be alternatives to holding a degree. The Certification Council recommended equivalent alternatives in lieu of the educational requirements that the RID Board of Directors approved. These are:
• life experience: a portfolio assessment would be prepared by an accredited college or university;
• years of professional experience: (a) national certification would be considered; and (b) a portfolio assessment would be prepared by an accredited college or university;
• years of education: a person would need at least 60 college credits in defined categories below to be equivalent to an associate's degree and 120 credits for a bachelor's degree.
Categories of credit for equivalencies (Nine credits must be completed in each category. Fifteen credits can be completed in any area of study):
English-English Literature, English Composition, etc. Social Sciences- Psychology, Sociology, etc. Math/Sciences-Algebra, Basic Mathematics, Biology, Chemistry, etc. Language arts- ASL, Spanish, etc Liberal Art- Art appreciation, Music appreciation, etc.
*Categories listed above were obtained by The Council for Higher Education Accreditation.

Hey, gang.

RID has posted an "Alternative Pathway" for interpreters in similar situations.

Check out the site: RID - Testing & Testing Process and click on "Alternative Pathway" to get an exact calculator that will help you figure out if you are a candidate for the alternative pathway or not.

On a side note, I train interpreters for the NIC. Feel free to contact me any time! :)

I just took the written exam yesterday, and I was 7 points shy from passing :(

Yes, I need to wait 3 months. I got to work on task 9A my weakest area according to the results and I did study soo hard. I even had test anxieties.

Written Prep

If you're looking for how to pass the NIC written, I just published a workbook to prep for the written. It's part of my training series "Master the NIC." It has hundreds of questions and activities about ethics, linguistics, interpreting, Deaf Culture, history of interpreting, history of Deaf Culture, etc. If you're interested, send me an email and I'll give you details on how to order. shonna@shonnapareja.com

~Shonna

Shonna...4 out of your 5 posts on AD have been advertising your prep materials and denigrating your colleagues. AD is a community, not an advertising forum. Can I suggest you participate in the community rather than just promoting your products and services?

Shonna...4 out of your 5 posts on AD have been advertising your prep materials and denigrating your colleagues. AD is a community, not an advertising forum. Can I suggest you participate in the community rather than just promoting your products and services?

:gpost: :gpost: :gpost:

I didn't know where to put this post, I decided here since, it can benefit others who are studying for the NIC exam.

I have heard two different answers to my question, perhaps, someone can help me out. While interpreting, the speaker uses profanity , as an interpreter do we fingerspell that word or do we sign that specific word?

I have been told either one fs or sign that word, which is best?
Thanks

I didn't know where to put this post, I decided here since, it can benefit others who are studying for the NIC exam.

I have heard two different answers to my question, perhaps, someone can help me out. While interpreting, the speaker uses profanity , as an interpreter do we fingerspell that word or do we sign that specific word?

I have been told either one fs or sign that word, which is best?
Thanks

Wow...that's a decision I make on the fly every single time, I think. It depends on the speaker's inflection, the topic, attitude, the importance of the specific word...depends on a lot of things. But thinking about it, I would say I spell it about 75% of the time - usually because the attitude of the speaker is one of emphasis, and fingerspelling individual words provides emphasis.

According to our Code of Ethics, we must remain faithful to the message , when we are on the hot seat. I remember, an interpreter at church, the preacher mentioned, someone flipping him off. The interpreter literally, signed the gesture. We were in :shock: She did the job right heehee

According to our Code of Ethics, we must remain faithful to the message , when we are on the hot seat. I remember, an interpreter at church, the preacher mentioned, someone flipping him off. The interpreter literally, signed the gesture. We were in :shock: She did the job right heehee

Ah, well that's a little different - yes, if someone refers to giving the middle finger, of course you give the middle finger. And if there's minimal enthusiasm about the word "fucking" I might give the middle finger for that too. If they're being really emphatic about it I would spell out #fucking but for less excitement it might just be the middle finger.

Like I said, profanity is dependent on a lot of factors. There's no right or wrong answer. You don't ALWAYS fingerspell or ALWAYS sign it. It depends on the situation. And two interpreters sitting back to back interpreting the same speaker might use different options.

I was just curious, if there was a right answer in all this due to the different answers I have heard from other terps. When it comes to the exam one has to wonder. I have the book, Encounters with Reality 1.001 Interpreter Scenarios, some have answers others don't.
Thank you , for the reply :)

I was just curious, if there was a right answer in all this due to the different answers I have heard from other terps. When it comes to the exam one has to wonder. I have the book, Encounters with Reality 1.001 Interpreter Scenarios, some have answers others don't.
Thank you , for the reply :)

If I have heard one thing about the NIC more than anything else, it's that there is RARELY only one "right" answer. The chance of there being ONE "right" answer for any of the interview questions is VERY slim. You are expected to pick the "most right" answer, but it does not mean that other answers are wrong.

On the written exam, the best answer is suppose to be the right answer. Its tricky at times.

Back