NexTalk and Clearwire -- Does it work?

Mini

Reaction score
Hello!

My Deaf cousin has moved back to my area and is living in a house that uses Clearwire for Internet. Clearwire is cellular wireless and we get about 1.5 MB download -- not hugely fast, but respectable.

I helped her install a videophone-type arrangement for her phone calls. Sorry, I don't know what it's called. I know it was made by Creative. It has a built-in Webcam and a video interpreter.

Anyway, it turned out that her Clearwire was too slow to support the device. So someone recommended to her NexTalk, which as I understand it is a software add-on for her computer.

Since it also uses a Web cam, I'm worried that Clearwire won't be fast enough either. Does anyone have any experience with using NexTalk and a slower broadband like Clearwire?

Thanks very much for any suggestions. I don't know a lot about this technology (I'm more a generic computer nerd) but of course I want to help my cousin!

Mini

I have Clearwire in my office but I have it only because my local DSL connection sucks big time and the local cable company doesn't service the office.

Get Clearwire only if you cannot get DSL or cable at high speeds.

You will n eed a USB mobile Broadband Router to help with this system, I have one and it works fine.

Most clearwire upload speed is near 200kbps, not fast enough for VP, especially if using VP and computer at same time, it will degrade the video quality no matter what.

Nextalk, if your talking about TTY software, then should work

DHB

Back