LadyAbigail

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am a hearie from Joplin, MO. I have loved ASL since I was little girl and learned some off and on, but I just recently started studying the language and deaf culture in earnest and I want to glean as much as I can wherever possible. :) Thanks for letting me be on your forum. :)

Welcome! You are going to have a lot of fun here. I'm taking ASL classes full time, too! How long is your program?

Thanks, I hope so! :)

Right now I'm just teaching myself out of a book, YouTube and a really good video course I found in a college library along with trying to find some local deaf people that I might can hang out with...not much luck there so far. Ozark Christian College has an (reputed to be VERY good) ASL program so I'm thinking about taking evening classes there. I would just take ASL at first, but their full degree program takes 2 years and you get to go to a deaf school in Iowa at the end! :)

Thanks, I hope so! :)

Right now I'm just teaching myself out of a book, YouTube and a really good video course I found in a college library along with trying to find some local deaf people that I might can hang out with...not much luck there so far. Ozark Christian College has an (reputed to be VERY good) ASL program so I'm thinking about taking evening classes there. I would just take ASL at first, but their full degree program takes 2 years and you get to go to a deaf school in Iowa at the end! :)

That's cool, I used those methods too! Next week I'm doing a preparation one week course before I go to college (one of the only colleges in my province that has a full ASL/Deafblind program) and then hopefully I can get a masters at Gallaudet University, but for now that's just a dream :)
Btw, how is OCC? It sounds like a great school.

I haven't actually attended OCC yet...unless you count one class I sat in on when I was 13. :P I was born on campus (they had married student housing until a few years ago) and have hung out with the students at various times, gone to events, etc. My older sisters each attended for a short time. It wasn't their thing, but I think that was that just them. :P There is a very strong Christian influence and their main goal to equip people for ministry, which is great! It's fairly small, but they still have some good degree choices and excellent teachers! :)

I've been hearing good things about the ASL program for years. Kinda nice to be interested in a language and have a good school 3 minutes from your house that teaches it. :)

Chris, are you attending right now/after summer or did you graduate?

Welcome to AllDeaf! ;)

Chris, are you attending right now/after summer or did you graduate?

I have text and emailed Mary a few times. I'm thinking about doing the 5 main ASL classes then finishing my BA where I'm at now, what I have left I can do all online. I've only been in Joplin for two years now.

Back