Newbie to AllDeaf from South Carolina :)

CochlearMusicLover

Reaction score
Hi everyone! my name is Kelly. I am a "deaf" college student who wears a Cochlear Implant but is not a big fan of it. I was born profoundly deaf and got my surgery at age 3. From there on, I had years of speech therapy and it paid off. But honestly the only time I enjoy wearing my C.I. is to listen to music... otherwise it is uncomfortable for me.
I'm hoping to meet other people that are like me and understand... I'm currently learning ASL on my own which is difficult but I am getting there. I'm eighteen and my childhood was spent trying to be as "normal" as possible which only made things harder. I joined this site to meet others like me... but this is also a big first step for me as well because I think I am finally ready to come to terms with who I am and I no longer feel shame or the need to hide the disconnect I have with the hearing world... I am deaf, and I may have a Cochlear Implant but without it on, what do I have? Nothing but silence... so it is important for me to learn ASL and to really involve myself in the deaf community because I feel like this is where I belong. :)

Welcome to this wacky group of people (I'm including myself). :wave:

:welcome: C.I.'s are definitely handy, but I don't really enjoy mine either. With the exception I have been implanted for only a few years versus as long as you have been. :welcome: again, hope you find what you're looking for.

Is there any chance you could transfer to Gally or NTID? I REALLY think that you would enjoy that experiace...there are always kids who transfer there from the mainstream/knowing very little/ no ASL.You would have a BALL......
Gallaudet University and RIT - National Technical Institute for the Deaf
Are you religious? There's the option of attending Christian Deaf camps this summer:Harvest Deaf Camp 2014, 25th Anniversary - Dates TBD and Bill Rice Ranch - Deaf Camp (this one is for up to 19 year olds AND is FREE)

I hope so! :P I'm using it in a general form as they refer to all graduates as alumnus regardless of sex. But just for you, alumna. :)
I don't know who "they" are but the general form is for men and women mixed plural only.

One woman graduate = alumna
One man graduate = alumnus
All women graduate group = alumnae
All men group or men and women group mixed = alumni

Anyway, sorry about the detour.

At AD, we can't make assumptions about the sex of posters. We've been mistaken a few times, so I wanted to be sure. :giggle:

I don't know who "they" are but the general form is for men and women mixed plural only.:

It's the USC Alumni Association. They distribute newsletters and conveniently group us all in general terms I guess. I get what they mean though, things being published today sometimes aren't written out appropriately. Oh swell! :lol:

It's the USC Alumni Association. They distribute newsletters and conveniently group us all in general terms I guess. I get what they mean though, things being published today sometimes aren't written out appropriately. Oh swell! :lol:
:lol:

USC is an excellent school. One of my nephews has a master's degree from USC but my younger grandson will be attending Clemson for engineering next year. My older grandson is attending Trident Technical College. I got my BS from Charleston Southern University and my ITP from Spartanburg Community/Technical College.

South Carolina has several good colleges.

USC is an excellent school. One of my nephews has a master's degree from USC but my younger grandson will be attending Clemson for engineering next year. My older grandson is attending Trident Technical College. I got my BS from Charleston Southern Univmmunity/Technical College.

South Carolina has several good colleges.

That's quite an accomplishment within your family, IMO South Carolina seems to have a better aggressive curriculum than North Carolina, thus my reason to cross state lines. :D I earned a BS in accounting and fortunately I avoided an initial layoff by passing the CPA! If I ever get the chance, if long term experience isn't enough, I'd try for an MBA. School again... :ugh:

Back