Newbie in PA

Kenyagal

Reaction score
Hey all,
I'm Kenyagal, 19years old hearing girl in Pennsylvania. I first got interested in sign language when my cousin who is hard of hearing taught me the basics of British Sing Language when I was 13 or so. Since then I've been interested in everything that revolves around Deaf culture: sign language, customs, expressions, etc.
Right now my purpose is to find someone (hearing or not) that would be willing to teach me sign language (over skype), and be patient with me. But I'm also interested in learning how to better engage with the people from deaf community. Right now my ASL knowledge can be described as minimal at best. But even still, I do try to communicate with those who are deaf and hard of hearing. Just to let them know that even-though I'm hearing, I'm willing to make the effort (if they will let me), to get to know them.

*I hope I didn't offend anyone with anything I said. I have a genuine interest in meeting and learning from those in the Deaf community.

Aren't there any ASL classes in your area? It helps to have a 3D model to learn signs.

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. Enjoy reading and posting all the threads here. See you around here. :wave:

Thanks for all the welcomes!
@CC9920, a fellow Pennsylvanian, nice o meet you too!

I used to live in PA. What area are you from? Depending on the area, I have tried finding ASL classes there, and they always seem to just get canceled because not enough people join them. I lived in Wisconsin for awhile and learn some ASL there, and now Im on the west coast taking classes at an actual school.
The best way to learn ASL is being in the Deaf Community. You should find the one near you.

Back