Newbie Here!

Hey Rachel :) it's nice to meet you! Lol hope you're figuring everything out okay so far

:) I see you've joined recently, how's it going for you? Have you done this before and what's your story, I hope you don't mind me asking :)
It's not going too bad thanks :) although I seemed to have annoyed a couple of people unintentionally which isn't great, was about to applogise but they don't have the option to private message them
And nope I haven't done this before, I've been deaf for 6 years and I've never even thought of joining a deaf website, I've tried to ignore my hearing loss since I've had it because it depresses me too much and it's not exactly like I want a hearing loss but I can't change that lol, I have around 5% ish of my hearing left and it's got to the point where I'm tired of trying to hear because I can't, the only person I can speak comfortably with my hearing aids in anymore is my mother, and sometimes it's not so comfortable, because even my family refuses to accept that I'm deaf, but then again I wouldn't so I can't exactly ask them to.
I had continuous ear infections in both ears when I was 14 which led to my hearing loss, the doctors just kept telling me it was ear wax and sending me away with drops, I didn't find out I was deaf until I was 16 which is when I got hearing aids. The whole side of my fathers family are deaf from birth but I'm not in contact with them and I don't want to be because..they're not exactly nice people.
When I was 16 my exs mum got me to do an introductory course on sign language, which I passed
When me and my ex split, I came back home, and I studied level 1 BSL but dropped out of the course, and I've basically spent the last 6 yrs of my life indoors other than food shopping with my mother.
I'm on medication for anxiety and depression, and I'm now agrophobic and suffer from panic attacks, because of my hearing I have a social anxiety disorder. And I need therapy to come to terms with everything and get over my anxiety. The root of my depression comes from my childhood and my deafness, which needs sorting. I've realised if I ever want to be happy in life I need to accept being deaf, and learn how to cope with that, because otherwise I'll just stay indoors forever, and I don't want that.
I'm so sorry for all the waffling lol I feel like I've gave you my life story D:

I've noticed how, with some people,it's much easier for me to let them know that I have a HoH situation. I think its mostly because some people give a more understanding, non-judgmental vibe.
And yes, I also understand with the feeling that I'm not "deaf enough" or "hearing enough" for that matter.
I went to a HoH/deaf convention once and my DHS counselor was so surprised to see me there, she immediately asked me what I was doing there!!
I was like "umm I got the invite in the mail"
... I felt like that wonderful experience I had wasn't meant for me.

Who was your DHS counselor? Just wonder.

Well, I live in the Chicago area, and my counselors name was Ms. Sue Kolinek. I think mainly it was because I wasn't "deaf enough" back then. I had mild hearing loss, whereas now I have severe hearing loss. Also, Krissy, I understand what you're talking about, I feel the same way with my family. I think the only people who will ever fully understand are the ones who are dealing with the same situation.

hello everyone my name is clifford i am hoh but i am half deaf and i read on racheal comment yeah same me but i became half deaf when i was 2 caused by somewhat begin really sick from it so i grew up went to deaf school in idaho but weird i can hear little bit i know it hard to explain i been with deaf world till i was 14 went to public school had an interpeter but i can read lip very well if i use hearing aid it annoying me with that hearing aid it hard to understand background what people talking about so anyway i hang out with both ways different world between deaf n hearing i know it hard but anyway thank for ur time to read this but i am new here today so be patient with me smile have an awesome thankingiving with ur family

Back