Newbie here

jokerlad

Reaction score
Hiya peeps . Stone deaf (well without me hearing aid) since a toddler. Originally from London now living on the Costa Del Sol in Sunny Spain.
I will answer any questions you all throw at me.
Cheers.

I bsl.they ok with me...not many do bsl.i got face time with some who trying it as I am asl...so on the costa del sol then very nice...I was London to.east London.It sure not the London of my childhood...I guess same for you..live East Anglian now

Hello there!
I have learn through research that Sign Language is not universal to all countries. Because of the different cultural aspects of each country, they have their own signs to preserve their cultural heritage. Now my question to you is...Since you are now living in a different part of the world, do you still use BSL or are you learning the Sign Language used in Sunny Spain?

:D

Hello there!
I have learn through research that Sign Language is not universal to all countries. Because of the different cultural aspects of each country, they have their own signs to preserve their cultural heritage. Now my question to you is...Since you are now living in a different part of the world, do you still use BSL or are you learning the Sign Language used in Sunny Spain?

Thats not the reason why sign isn. universal, nutshell its not universal for the ssme reason hearie language isnt universal

Hoichi: I am a novice at this, maybe you know more than I do. So, I certainly respect your input.

Sign language is definitely universal . We can make all people understand no matter where we are from and that goes to the hearing of the world.
I believe being deaf is a gift.

Sign language is definitely universal . We can make all people understand no matter where we are from and that goes to the hearing of the world.

I agree with you. As I also agree with this quote by Dr. Bill :
"Being Deaf isn't about having a disability. It is about navigating through life with your eyes and hands." Got this from the website below:
http://www.lifeprint.com/asl101/topics/disability-deafness.htm

Hello there!

don't expect ASL be like ASL..i live in uk

I agree with you. As I also agree with this quote by Dr. Bill :
"Being Deaf isn't about having a disability. It is about navigating through life with your eyes and hands." Got this from the website below:
http://www.lifeprint.com/asl101/topics/disability-deafness.htm

sorry I think just little patronizing.....I born hearing Deaf now. I was very pissed and still am...If born deaf I know no difference but I do know difference if I could having hearing back I run to get it..
It true to extent most deaf find a way of communicating but signing different each country..You think ASL be same bc we all English speaking but far from it.ASL more like French sign

sorry I think just little patronizing.....I born hearing Deaf now. I was very pissed and still am...If born deaf I know no difference but I do know difference if I could having hearing back I run to get it..
It true to extent most deaf find a way of communicating but signing different each country..You think ASL be same bc we all English speaking but far from it.ASL more like French sign

Hi Caz! thanks for your post. That is true, in doing my research on where American Sign Language originated from, showed that ASL has many influences from the country of France (French Sign) One main contributor was (The Abbé Charles-Michel de l'Épée)

The States got Gaullet univecity people go from everywhere if lucky enough..Big French influence

Hello there!

I cannot speak or sign Spanish but can make them understand me in my own way because we the deaf have that gift.

I cannot speak or sign Spanish but can make them understand me in my own way because we the deaf have that gift.

Do you?
us Deaf Sure dont..
Fascinating
Which cracker jack box you get thIs gift from,..?
Neat...

Last edited:

I have no plm if you truly believe sign language is universal, ive known people to believe. They were from mars too.
Its all cool.
Which sign language are you fluent in Again?
Bieng deaf isnt a gift. Thats a curse.
Bieng Deaf is a gift..
Happy learning...

Are you talking about International Sign Language which we could learn and understand which we can traveled any place in the world to visit as tourists? International Sign Language is universal.

Some countries use their own sign language while other countries adopt BSL like Australia. And other countries adopt ASL like South America.

I agree with Hoichi that there is a difference on the letter of d and D. Deaf is cultural and being Deaf is a gift while the small letter for d for deaf is a medical terminology and is a curse by the hearing people, not us.

If you can not speak or sign Spanish sign language, then you prefer oral-only method. I guess maybe you had tried to lipread people or spend a lot of time writing down papers to communicate with them. Living in the hearing world is not easy at all. It is very frustrating and hard to make out what hearing people say. How about Deaf community in Sunny Spain? How about going to the Spanish Sign Language class (very important to have Deaf teacher, not deaf teacher) in the big city where you can learn to sign properly with Deaf community or Deaf events?

Back