Newbie finding HA hurt ears. Advice please.

Melbourne

Reaction score
Hi all,

I just got my first HAs. They are OTE Phonak Yes. I've had them only two days but my ear canals are getting tender and it's starting to hurt when I put the HAs in. It is made worse as I have to take the HA in and out as I find it overwhelming to have them in for too long.

Also they feel uncomfortable when I have them in my ears. They feel huge, sharp and hard. I expect this is usual? Any advice?

Huge thanks :aw:

Perhaps your molds aren't properly fitted. I had the same problems you have and had to get my molds remade.

Sounds like a poorly fitted moulds. Perhaps go back and have it re done (don't worry too much about it we all had it done many times in our lifes).

Since you are new with moulds/HA's, the ear mould should be well fitted and comfortable.
Little advice while have it done keep yourself quiet and no mouth movement (most certainly no talking!!) because when you talk/move your jaws the ear canals moves hence most of ear mould impressions would not mould well.

And welcome to AD :)

Last edited:
Are they the hard moulds then yes it could be a poor fit.

If it's soft moulds again poor fit may be the issue but also consider an allergic reaction to the earmoulds?

I know this cos I discovered purely by accident that when I went for new earmoulds and they said they're using a new substance and its supposed to be superior so I tried them anyway and wow, the made my ears very hot, tender and sore and it started to get 'crustey' - flakey skin. So I returned to the clinic and they said that I'm allergic to the stuff so i have hypoallergic earmoulds but now don't need them anymore as I have a CI now.

Do ask the clinic to find out whether it's the poor fitting or an allergic reaction, and get them to remake it in another substance. Don't worry about asking - it happens all the time and they're very used to it and don't mind at all.

You need new molds. Although for a first time wearer new aids may take getting used to, they should never ever cause pain. Oh and don't assume your audiologist screwed up when he made the impressions. Too often I have seen the place where he sends the impression screw up when making the molds.

If you are having the problem with both ears, maybe you just need some time to get used to them. I sometimes find new moulds uncomfortable at first, and I've had HAs for decades, must be even worse for a new user.

just get a dremel out and shave it away. that's what my dad did when I was little. certainly a lot cheaper than getting a new pair of earmold! :lol:

just get a dremel out and shave it away. that's what my dad did when I was little. certainly a lot cheaper than getting a new pair of earmold! :lol:

That's true. If there is a little bad spot on a new mold, my husband does that for me, With the new soft molds with an exacto knife though.

But I thought if it is a new wearer, maybe they should just try the creme in case there is nothing wrong with the molds, but they just are not used to it.

That's true. If there is a little bad spot on a new mold, my husband does that for me, With the new soft molds with an exacto knife though.

But I thought if it is a new wearer, maybe they should just try the creme in case there is nothing wrong with the molds, but they just are not used to it.

yep. couple of times - audi inserted the cotton ball (or whatever it's called) into ear canal too deep so the earmold is longer. The technician simply used the razor knife and cut it short and then used dremel to smoothen the edge. problem solved!

sometimes yea - there is some bad spot so yea - dremel it away!

I too would say you need new moulds. Although I haven't had behind-the-ear moulded aids, I have in the past had in-the-ear aids (like this http://www.hearing-guide.com/Concha.png), and putting them in/wearing them felt somewhat like putting a shoe on- you can feel the presence, but it's not painful in any way.

I have just googled the Phonak Yes, and I can see these: Audo YES - Overview | Phonak - life is on
do yours look like the photo with a thin tube with small domes at the end? I have a similar type, with a dome. The dome can be removed from the thin tube, and the tube has ridges on the end for the dome to grip onto, so if you don't have domes, the ridges can scratch your ear canals- I've had that problem before.

I hope I helped!

I would let your audiologist know your ears are getting sore and see what they advice. New ear molds might be needed. How long are you wearing the hearing aids each day? Maybe you need to wear them a little less until your ears are used to them.

If your ears are read, inflamed and really itchy and red etc it might be allergy to whatever your mould is made from...although I didn't think the AUDEO YES phonak HA came with an actual mold but with slimtube and domes...but im sure you could get a regular mould with it as well...anyways definitely ask your audi about the moulds and get him/her to check it out!

when you have your new mold made, open your mouth when they inserted the mold in your ear. open and close your mouth a few times.

sounds like to me the molds aren't made the right way. I've talked to my parents about it plenty of times. I'd just go and have it remade. Sometimes putting on a bit of hand lotion on the mold helps your ear canal. Trust me, i've tried it and it helped while i was waiting for my new mold to come through. Talk to your audiologist and have it remade.

If the earmolds are new then they will be replace free of charge. Start messing with them yourself and you will have to pay for new replacement molds.

Back