Newbie and getting hearing aids (hopefully)...

HOH33stars

Reaction score
Hello all!
I've been lurking around this site for quite a long time-I just signed up though. I'm 22 years old and just returned back to college this summer. I'm double majoring in Art Education and Education of the Deaf and HOH. I've been working in retail management for the past 4 years...
I always knew that I had trouble hearing...especially with working in management...but I adapted and "faked it" for a really long time. I never thought much about any of it...the constantly asking people to repeat things, not understand people when I couldn't see their lips, hating the phone, people telling me I talk way too loud or I have everything way too loud...
ANYWAY, so returning to school made me realize...there's a big "problem". I've been totally screwed in my lectures (to put it rather lightly)...so I figured I'd talk to my ASL teacher about getting my hearing tested (my college runs a speech and hearing clinic...)
I "failed" miserably. So coming to terms with the fact that yes, I AM HOH, has been quite interesting...and I'm still struggling.
In any case...the audiologist had put a set of headphones on me and asked me to tell her when I could understand her...she kept turning the headphones up to a point where I was like...oh my goodness, I can hear!!! I could completely understand her!
That's where the hearing aids come in. I need to get a set of hearing aids (for both ears)...I've never had them before (obviously). Here's the thing though...I'm a college student. I'm broke. I can't afford to go out and get 2000 dollar hearing aids. I have a meeting with my state's OVR this wednesday...however I'm petrified that they'll say I'm not at a level where they'll financially support me. Also I'm afraid that the entire process will take months...where as I'm going to be in fulltime classes come the fall. Right now I'm barely getting through two classes a day at this rate (I walk out exhausted and completely frustrated because I'm not understanding a thing)...
I need to get a set of ear molds for an FM system, but I can't do it until I meet with OVR to find out whether they'll financially support me or not. So I'm trying to prepare myself also for if they don't help me out.
I found a few websites with hearing aids...but obviously I don't know what's good and what isn't... :aw:
I decided after doing a TON of research...I don't want in the canal aids...I want behind the ear...whether it's open fit or the regular ones with the shells in the ear...
I was looking at Hearing Aids - Digital Hearing Aids - Order Online Today!
And was looking at the Rexton but I don't know anything about them. Are they any good? There's also this other website...Hearing Central
but I don't know anything about them either...
Does anyone have any advice? Experiences with any of these? What did you do if you couldn't afford the hearing aids? My insurance doesn't cover these, and my parents don't want anything to do with any of this...the school's clinic will do all the testing for free, however they don't dispense hearing aids...
Help? All of this is so much to process...I'm working on "self-advocacy"...but I'm finding myself locked up in a shell. I can type and say that I'm "hard of hearing" but especially since I don't understand people a lot, I don't talk more than I have to or initiate a lot of conversation...
In any case...sorry for this being so long. If you read it all, wow I'm impressed!
I think you all are amazing, and I'm so excited to be a part of this community...people who actually understand! :wave:

Last edited:
2cejiqe.jpg

I save savings bonds to replace hearing aids as needed. I don't have any good advice for paying for them now if you never saved money. Enjoy your stay at AD.

Hi Lindsay, I read your post. Thank you for sharing! Did you go to audiologist and have a hearing test? How many is your hearing loss?

Hi Lindsay, I read your post. Thank you for sharing! Did you go to audiologist and have a hearing test? How many is your hearing loss?

Well I had the hearing test from the school's audiology department (they just don't dispense hearing aids). It showed me ranging around a 50db straight line across in both ears however they think that it ranges depending on the day (if I'm really tired, I can't hear worth crap-everything is muffled-that audiology exam i had when i was well-rested). Granted, that lloyds hearing aid website i posted about...I took their hearing test, and they showed me at a very low moderate to severe hearing loss-around 70-80db loss-(I did it after staying up almost all night) and was having a rough day also. When she set the headphones, she said that I preferred having them set at 80-90 amplification (whatever that means?)

80-90 amplification is what your getting bak in dB i think...but u cannot really rely on an online hearing test it's a bit bias because ur not in a soundproof booth, don't have proper head phones, your hearing the beeps with a computer speaker..lots of factors.but i am around 50 dB almost across the board as well and also if im having a bad day it swings a bit...i have Phonak Una which is great! It's an entry level ha but u can either have mild-moderate/severe or the HIGH power una which is a hearing loss 85 dB and higher i think. My una was not too expensive and depending on where u live u can get help from VRS i think..i dont live in the US anymoe so i don't entirely know what help there is...

80-90 amplification is what your getting bak in dB i think...but u cannot really rely on an online hearing test it's a bit bias because ur not in a soundproof booth, don't have proper head phones, your hearing the beeps with a computer speaker..lots of factors.but i am around 50 dB almost across the board as well and also if im having a bad day it swings a bit...i have Phonak Una which is great! It's an entry level ha but u can either have mild-moderate/severe or the HIGH power una which is a hearing loss 85 dB and higher i think. My una was not too expensive and depending on where u live u can get help from VRS i think..i dont live in the US anymoe so i don't entirely know what help there is...

I'm meeting with an OVR counselor on wednesday to see if they can help me out with affording a set of aids. I'm just afraid that it's going to take MONTHS to get approval-which I really can't afford either because of the classes I'm taking...it's kinda a catch-22. I need the aids now, but will go in debt if i try to do it myself...yet I will lose money if i fail the classes because i can't hear a thing in them!

I'm meeting with an OVR counselor on wednesday to see if they can help me out with affording a set of aids. I'm just afraid that it's going to take MONTHS to get approval-which I really can't afford either because of the classes I'm taking...it's kinda a catch-22. I need the aids now, but will go in debt if i try to do it myself...yet I will lose money if i fail the classes because i can't hear a thing in them!

So get the debt. You can pay it back easier if you pass your classes and get an education.

So get the debt. You can pay it back easier if you pass your classes and get an education.

That is what I'm leaning towards...this past summer semester has been **** to put it lightly. I'm only taking two classes but it's enough to send me over the edge since I'm spending all of my time trying to figure out what is being said in the classes! I'll see what this OVR counselor has to say...any advise? Has anyone else ever dealt with vocational rehab people in their states? How long does it normally take?

I'm so frustrated with how things are with not being able to hear that I'm afraid I'll walk in to this meeting and just start crying.

mine were 500 bucks and so far they work been wearing them for 4 years unfortunately my insurance and alot of others wont pay for it because they said and I qoute "not a medical problem" grrrrrrrrrrrrr being a kinda deaf militant you dont know how bad I wanted to say a couple extra words hehe. anyhoos do you have any extra savings stuff you could draw from to pay for them ?

mine were 500 bucks and so far they work been wearing them for 4 years unfortunately my insurance and alot of others wont pay for it because they said and I qoute "not a medical problem" grrrrrrrrrrrrr being a kinda deaf militant you dont know how bad I wanted to say a couple extra words hehe. anyhoos do you have any extra savings stuff you could draw from to pay for them ?

What type of HAs do you have? BTE? Are they Starkey...Rexton...? Just curious...
I do have some savings...the only problem is the savings are for the studio classes for my majors in school...so if I take that, then I have no way to pay for the studio supplies for my classes (plus essentials to live on lol)! I figure...that well, if I can't get the financial support, I'll postpone my studio classes (and take all of my other requirements) take on more hours at a job to pay for the aids and then get enough to get my studio supplies...in like two years lol. hopefully. My advisor is seeing if there's any other way to get some financial assistance so I don't have to postpone my schooling in exchange for aids...

I hope it works out and a solution presents itself. You could consider getting a notetaker in class and they will supply an FM system to you.....give that a try too

I have the brown/beige (more beige though) btes that are ugly as hell in my opinion however (after seeing an american flag display hearing aid I might have to do the coloring myself hehe, anyhoos) they get the job done and I proudly display and wear them to show that I am hard of hearing, as for what they are hmm good question Phonak swiss made Pico-Forte SC-2, but yeah as the post up there says I know that many colleges provide note takers that will help you note taking is a good way to go I did that as well as had my recorder with me for reflections on a topic when I got home

Hope this Helps
your friend Babyface

Back