New

classic.nikki

Reaction score
Hello , My name is nikki & i'm not deaf i'm hearing . i'm 16 years old, i'm Mexican & i love the deaf community! i'm currently not taking any ASL classes because they wouldn't let me but i'm learning on my own. i wanna meet deaf people, to help me advance in my Signing to become an ASL teacher and/or An Interpreter . I just want to fit in with the deaf community

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using AllDeaf App mobile app

Last edited:
Hi :wave: I know this a typo " dead community" you can correct it by using the 'Edit' button.

Welcome!

Just curious, why won't they let you?

Hello , My name is nikki & i'm not deaf i'm hearing . i'm 16 years old, i'm Mexican & i love the deaf community! i'm currently not taking any ASL classes because they wouldn't let me but i'm learning on my own. i wanna meet deaf people, to help me advance in my Signing to become an ASL teacher and/or An Interpreter . I just want to fit in with the deaf community

On the bold statement, that is new that you were not allow to take ASL in your class in high school. Hearing students, even hearing babies were allowed to learn sign language to communicate with hearing parents and students. Not to the Deaf community. That is your privilege.

We, as Deaf people and HOH people, were not allowed to sign any sign language starting as babies ourselves and later put us into mainstream schools which were very difficult and frustrating times, oral-only. It was very hard for us to lipread hearing teachers and we failed miserably. Some of them made it while others could not made it. Back then in 1972, they finally started giving out ASL class and also let us get ASL interpreter so that we can understand hearing teachers and also know what is going on without lipreading.

I am surprised that you don't get the privilege of having to learn ASL class in high school. Wow. Wonder why? Maybe schools are different in learning to sign ASL or not. I am speechless (my mind is boggle about this).

:welcome: to AllDeaf Forum. Enjoy reading and posting here. :D

Does anyone else find these type of threads a bit weird? Like saying I love cripples, the blind, amputees, or midgets etc. and want to fit in with their community and meet them?

Does anyone else find these type of threads a bit weird? Like saying I love cripples, the blind, amputees, or midgets etc. and want to fit in with their community and meet them?

Yes, I do very much.

But people don't like me to say so

Back