New :)

Larimar

Reaction score
Hello,

My name is Sarah or Larimar ;) and I often work with deaf children in my job -I was an educational assistant. This inspired me to want to learn ASL and to one day teach my future children. I moved cities so that my boyfriend could take on a new job, and now work as a daycare provider. I am trying to learn online on my own, but soon want to take classes.

I thought this forum would be full of guidance and information, so I felt good about joining.

Some facts about me..I love animals/wildlife, I volunteer at the humane society, I take wildlife photos, and I am an author.

Nice to meet everyone!!

Hello. I am glad to meet a person with so much concern for animals. Welcome to alldeaf.

Thank you. I love the forum so far. So many friendly people...I am enjoying reading the posts.

Oh yes...lol

My boyfriend and I love to go hiking and take photos of wild animals.
Here is one of my favourites that I took. Photographed in the worlds largest wildlife preserve (just means all the land is no hunting) It's in Chapleau Ontario.

BEAR2_zpsb1322f90.jpg

:wave:Welcome, Sara/Larimar.

I love your black bear photo; I volunteered with wildlife rehab <though we're not in an area to get in black bears> in high school and early college and was volunteering in animal shelters long before that; I also worked with d/Deaf kids and adults in a recreational program some years ago which was my intro to the Deaf World.
Currently am a dog trainer and assist with public training classes as well as volunteer with behav.mod. at a local humane society; I also do private training.

Hi Dogmom,

It's nice to meet fellow animal lovers. We need more in the world.
What country are you in? wildlife rehab sounds like an enjoyable volunteer opportunity.

I'm in U.S.

Several dog folks I know are in Canada.

I enjoyed the wildlife rehab very much. Since I was about 12/13 when I started I volunteered as a baby bird-feeder, caring for baby birds, mostly songbirds, waterfowl and members of the crow family. Occasionally baby owls. A lot of food prep/feeding, cleaning up, charting, organizing and maintaining food storage; also got to watch a lot of medical and husbandry procedures with the mammals and raptors and assisted during an oil spill....tragic :-(

I'm hoh, hub oral deaf, mainstreamed solitaire. You hearing?

:)

That sounds like an amazing volunteer opportunity. I would love to get involved in something like that one day. I am currently in two wildlife clubs and with the humane society, while writing and working so i don't want to spread myself too thin...but definitely on my list hehe.

I am hearing. I started working with a 4 year old one year who was deaf (mother was deaf as well). The child also had severe autism. She was in a school that was hearing. The child couldn't sign much because of the autism, but I assumed she might understand it since it's used at home. I was unable to do her justice, because I couldn't communicate with her. I am determined to learn ASL now.

Hello,

My name is Sarah or Larimar ;) and I often work with deaf children in my job -I was an educational assistant. This inspired me to want to learn ASL and to one day teach my future children. I moved cities so that my boyfriend could take on a new job, and now work as a daycare provider. I am trying to learn online on my own, but soon want to take classes.

I thought this forum would be full of guidance and information, so I felt good about joining.

Some facts about me..I love animals/wildlife, I volunteer at the humane society, I take wildlife photos, and I am an author.

Nice to meet everyone!!
Hello! That is awesome that you want to actually take a class and teaching yourself rght not.. do you use lifeprint.com? they are a good website for guidance.

Back