New Writer

KiraWright

Reaction score
Hey, I'm Kira. I'm from Southern California where the sun sneaks its way into every dang season and am a junior in high school. My passion is writing, and somehow deaf culture has snuck its way back into my mind. I had a best friend a couple years back that had a little sister in third grade, Ellie, who was born deaf. She was bullied horribly, called 'retarded' and was pushed around. She had no friends. So, our group of friends, though we were all older, learned sign language for her and took her everywhere with us. After a while, the group split up due to a lot of moving, and we don't see each other really. One is in San Francisco, one in Fresno, one in Manhattan, and one in Compton.

I have forgotten most of what I learned in sign language due to it not being part of my everyday life. I have once again begun learning and want to learn more about the community that comes with being deaf. I am working towards opening an ASL club at our school as well. There are so many kids who want to learn ASL because there's a deaf school not far from ours. I want us to be more aware and understanding, I guess.

I hope I don't sound like an idiot. Well, this is me.

What happened to the little girl? Is she okay? She would now be coming up on middle school which could be a real nightmare for her. I hope you keep in touch with her. It is very important to keep in the picture if you can.

What happened to the little girl? Is she okay? She would now be coming up on middle school which could be a real nightmare for her. I hope you keep in touch with her. It is very important to keep in the picture if you can.
The little girl, Ellie, has become proud of her being deaf and has told me herself, signing in a very strong manner that somehow made her appear older, "I am proud of who I am. I don't care what those people think. My family," she then pointed to each of us, "loves me for who I am. No matter what. Deaf or hearing. I am Ellie. And I am deaf."

That girl will make her way in this world. And no one is going to beat her down again.

The little girl, Ellie, has become proud of her being deaf and has told me herself, signing in a very strong manner that somehow made her appear older, "I am proud of who I am. I don't care what those people think. My family," she then pointed to each of us, "loves me for who I am. No matter what. Deaf or hearing. I am Ellie. And I am deaf."

That girl will make her way in this world. And no one is going to beat her down again.

Your girl is very smart! :D I like your girl! Big hug from me! :)

And you and your friends help that little girl become the person she grew up to be.

YEAH!!!!!! So I assume she got hooked up with Deaf schools/programs and camps? It's AMAZING what adding a little something can do for just one person.

Welcome! I love to write, too. Feel free to drop me a message any time!
You don't sound like an idiot. I love what you did for that kid.

:welcome: to AllDeaf Forum. I hope you enjoy reading and posting here. See you around here. :wave:

Back