New Ways of "Stealing".....

rockin'robin

Reaction score
Received this email several days ago....might be worth sharing.....

SCENE 1.
A friend went to the local gym and placed his belongings in the locker. After the workout and a shower, he came out, saw the locker open,
and thought to himself, 'Funny, I thought I
locked the locker..

Hmm, 'He dressed and just flipped the
wallet to make sure all was in order.

Everything looked okay - all cards were in
place..

A few weeks later his credit card bill came - a whooping bill of $14,000!

He called the credit card company and started yelling at them, saying that he did not make
the transactions.

Customer care personnel verified that
there was no Mistake in the system and asked
if his card had been stolen..

'No,' he said, but then took out his
wallet, pulled out the credit card, and yep -
you guessed it - a switch had been made.

An expired similar credit card from
the same bank was in the wallet.

The thief broke into his locker at the gym and switched cards.

Verdict: The credit card issuer said since he
did not report the card missing earlier, he would have to pay the amount owed to them.

How much did he have to pay for items he did not buy?

$9,000! Why were there no calls made to
verify the amount swiped?
Small amounts rarely trigger a 'warning bell'
with some credit card companies.
It just so happens that all the small amounts added up to big one!
============================

SCENE 2.
A man at a local restaurant paid
for his meal with his credit card.

The bill for the meal came, he signed it and the waitress folded the receipt and passed the credit card along.

Usually, he would just take it and place it in his wallet or pocket. Funny enough, though, he actually took a look at the card and, lo and behold, it was the expired card of another person.

He called the waitress and she looked perplexed.

She took it back, apologized, and hurried back to the counter under the watchful eye of the man.

All the waitress did while walking to the counter was wave the wrong expired card to the counter cashier, and the counter cashier immediately looked down and took out the real card.

No exchange of words --- nothing! She took
it and came back to the man with an apology..

Verdict:

Make sure the credit cards in your wallet are yours.

Check the name on the card every time you
sign for something and/or the card is taken
away for even a short period of time.

Many people just take back the credit card without even looking at it, 'assuming'
that it has to be theirs.

FOR YOUR OWN SAKE, DEVELOP
THE HABIT OF CHECKING YOUR CREDIT CARD EACH TIME IT IS RETURNED TO
YOU AFTER A TRANSACTION!
==========================

SCENE 3:
Yesterday I went into a pizza restaurant to
pick up an order that I had called in.

I paid by using my Visa Check Card which, of
course, is linked directly to my checking
account.

The young man behind the counter took my
card, swiped it, then laid it on the counter as
he waited for the approval, which is pretty standard procedure..

While he waited, he picked up his cell phone
and started dialing.

I noticed the phone because it is the same
model I have, but nothing seemed out of the ordinary. ? Then I heard a click that sounded
like my phone sounds when I take a picture.

He then gave me back my card but kept the phone in his hand as if he was still
pressing buttons.

Meanwhile, I'm thinking: I wonder what he is taking a picture of, oblivious to what was
really going on.

It then dawned on me: the only thing there
was my credit card, so now I'm paying close attention to what he is doing..

He set his phone on the counter, leaving it
open.

About five seconds later, I heard the chime
that tells you that the picture has been saved.

Now I'm standing there struggling with the
fact that this boy just took a picture of my credit card.

Yes, he played it off well, because had we not
had the same kind of phone, I probably would never have known what happened.

Needless to say, I immediately cancelled
that card as I was walking out of the pizza
parlor.

All I am saying is, be aware of your
surroundings at all times.

Whenever you are using your credit card take caution and don't be careless.

Notice who is standing near you and what
they are doing when you use your card.

Be aware of phones, because many have a
camera phone these days.

It's a good idea to check it every time, and to check your statement online to check the transactions.

@ Scene #3 - what a wanker. He should confront him.

Or contact the manager or police?

yea that's how you confront it. You call the manager in. If manager tells you to bugger off, then you call the cop.

I would have swiped the boys phone and smashed it and then dunked it in a fishtank or threw it in the toilet in the bathroom. When he went bawling and squalling to his manager/boss I would have told him exactly what was happening and that the pizza should be free and I will not be a returning customer. Not only would it cost the boy his phone, but it would also cost him his job so no new phone either. Ha!

Wow! I would have never thought of that. Good to be aware of this.

Old trick, they been doing it for years-- copying information off of the magnetic strips.

Only difference now is that the tools have changed (ie. cameraphones.)

Mom's advice of of checking the balance after you use an ATM is ringing true, eh?

just got this in my email on something new. I apologize for the Caps, but that's how the email was, Bold and red.

Interesting tactics to harm others!

FYI
News alert.................

Thursday morning, I saw an infant car seat on the side of the road with a blanket draped over it. I did not stop, even though I had all kinds of thoughts running through my head. But when I got to my destination, I called the PD and they were going to check it out. This is what I was told...

"Several things to be aware of... gangs and thieves, are now plotting different ways to get a person to "stop" their vehicle.

"There is a gang initiation reported by the local police department that gangs are placing a car seat by the road...with a fake baby in it...waiting for a woman, of course, to stop and check on the baby. Note that the location of this car seat will usually be beside a wooded or grassy (field) area ...and the person - woman - will be dragged into the woods- beaten and raped- usually left for dead.
DO NOT STOP!!!!! DIAL 9-1-1 AND REPORT WHAT YOU SAW!!!
"IF YOU ARE DRIVING AT NIGHT AND EGGS ARE THROWN AT YOUR WINDSHIELD... DO NOT TURN ON YOUR WIPERS AND DO NOT SPRAY ANY WATER ON IT BECAUSE EGGS MIXED WITH WATER BECOMES MILKY AND YOU'LL NOT BE ABLE TO SEE!!!!

YOU ARE THEN FORCED TO STOP BESIDE THE ROAD AND BECOME A VICTIM OF THIEVES. THIS IS A NEW TECHNIQUE USED BY GANGS. PLEASE INFORM YOUR FRIENDS AND RELATIVES. THESE ARE DESPERATE TIMES AND THESE UNSAVORY INDIVIDUALS WILL TAKE DESPERATE MEASURES TO GET WHAT THEY WANT."

Please talk to your loved ones about this. This is a new tactic used and I would hate for anyone to fall victim to this kind of crime.

Please BE SAFE AND NEVER STOP YOUR VEHICLE

just got this in my email on something new. I apologize for the Caps, but that's how the email was, Bold and red.

FYI

Thursday morning, I saw an infant car seat on the side of the road with a blanket draped over it. I did not stop, even though I had all kinds of thoughts running through my head. But when I got to my destination, I called the PD and they were going to check it out. This is what I was told...

"Several things to be aware of... gangs and thieves, are now plotting different ways to get a person to "stop" their vehicle.

"There is a gang initiation reported by the local police department that gangs are placing a car seat by the road...with a fake baby in it...waiting for a woman, of course, to stop and check on the baby. Note that the location of this car seat will usually be beside a wooded or grassy (field) area ...and the person - woman - will be dragged into the woods- beaten and raped- usually left for dead.
"IF YOU ARE DRIVING AT NIGHT AND EGGS ARE THROWN AT YOUR WINDSHIELD... DO NOT TURN ON YOUR WIPERS AND DO NOT SPRAY ANY WATER ON IT BECAUSE EGGS MIXED WITH WATER BECOMES MILKY AND YOU'LL NOT BE ABLE TO SEE!!!!

YOU ARE THEN FORCED TO STOP BESIDE THE ROAD AND BECOME A VICTIM OF THIEVES. THIS IS A NEW TECHNIQUE USED BY GANGS. PLEASE INFORM YOUR FRIENDS AND RELATIVES. THESE ARE DESPERATE TIMES AND THESE UNSAVORY INDIVIDUALS WILL TAKE DESPERATE MEASURES TO GET WHAT THEY WANT."

Please talk to your loved ones about this. This is a new tactic used and I would hate for anyone to fall victim to this kind of crime.

Yes, someone sent that to me...

These people need to be struck down dead...

Yes, I am evil but I want all the evil people gone from this planet so we all can live feeling safe and secure.

Theres much worse things that can happen. Thats why I have a card that is linked to a very limited balance in an account that will never be overdrawn. If it gets stolen, the max I can lose is five franklins.

FYI

that's what happened to Gemma in Sons of Anarchy (sort of). She got tazered and then gang-raped.

j"IF YOU ARE DRIVING AT NIGHT AND EGGS ARE THROWN AT YOUR WINDSHIELD... DO NOT TURN ON YOUR WIPERS AND DO NOT SPRAY ANY WATER ON IT BECAUSE EGGS MIXED WITH WATER BECOMES MILKY AND YOU'LL NOT BE ABLE TO SEE!!!!

Washer fluid is not made of water.

It's crazy what some people will do for money. Whatever happened to good ol fashioned morals, not connected to religion?

Back