New Visor Card for Hard of Hearing People Released

Nancy

Reaction score
New Visor Card for Hard of Hearing People Released

From URL: http://www.healthyhearing.com/library/news_content.asp?news_id=678

July 7, 2005. (Stewartstown, PA) The Center for Hearing Loss Help has just released a free, new visor card designed specifically to meet the needs of hard of hearing people.

Used correctly, visor cards can effectively help bridge the communications gap whenever a hard of hearing person is stopped by the police, especially at night.

To learn all about how and why to use visor cards, and to obtain your free hard of hearing visor card, point your browser to http://www.hearinglosshelp.com/VisorCards.htm

THANK U THANK U THANK U !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! gonna share this with the big island deafies!!!

can u find one where it says i'm Deaf and i can't read lips and to please write back and forth please???? this will prevent unwarranted failure to communicate!

Hoh?

I have seen them with "I am hearing impaired" on them. That covers all territory, instead of just the HOH folks. Most hearing people do not understand the difference between "deaf" and "hard of hearing".

Most deaf folks I know refuse to carry one of these cards, don't ask me why. Do I have one? No.

Java, you can always make your own card on a word processor... just get a picture of the ear with the line through it, and then type whatever you want.

Teg

Thank you, Nancy for that wonderful information about visor cards for the HoH, but I read the sample and it says something like, "...but I do NOT use sign language..." I'm HoH and use sign language. I would like visor cards be made for both HoH who do not sign and also for HoH who use sign language.

But what about the deaf? Gotta have something for them too! Right? I'm sure the deaf don't wanna be dragged out, slammed on the ground and cuffed. Let there be visors for the deaf too.

Why don't all police stations give out visor cards for the hearing impaired, huh? Why not? It does not have to wait until the deaf or HoH drivers renew their licenses! Come on! Let's get some action! Yaaayyyy!

BTW, did any of you know that deaf and HoH have rights to be acquitted after being handcuffed and arrested if there was no interpreter present at the time of the arrest? If the police say, "You are under arrest for... blah, blah, blah and find yourself handcuffed without knowledge of why you are arrested you are (should be) acquitted (free), but the disgusting thing is you will be taken to the police station anyway. :pissed: I'm sure that as soon as the officers realize you are HoH or deaf and that you did not understand why you were arrested, you would be free. Correct? That is what I understand about the rights we have in this country. Am I wrong? Any feedback?

>>>can u find one where it says i'm Deaf and i can't read lips and to please write back and forth please???? this will prevent unwarranted failure to communicate!<<<

perhaps it would be worth writing the company that produced visor and suggest this??

Fuzzy

Audiofuzzy said:
hey, look at this:

http://www.soundbytes.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=SB&Product_Code=BS2

I was looking for CI accessories and found this by accident. Thought it may fit here..

Fuzzy

Hmmm! *thinking* I am not sure what to think of the idea of having bumper stickers announce that the driver is hard-of-hearing. I hesitate on that because there are guys who would try to follow deaf drivers and find out where they live and possibly break-in their home(s) at night or wait until the deaf person is gone shopping and one guy follow you to keep an eye on your whereabouts while talking on a cell phone to another guy robbing your house. And because of the good and bad about cell phones, the robber is gone before you return home. I hate to break it this way, but better safe by not being very open about deafness. The deaf need to protect themselves.

A visor card hidden until stopped by police is public enough. There may be people passing by and notice the visor card. Perhaps it would be better if the police find you are deaf while they do their normal check routine. In their normal check routine, they call the dispatcher to check up on license plate number on the car. I would rather that records in file show I'm deaf or hard-of-hearing and that the dispatcher can relay/reply that the driver is hearing impaired. Do we really need visor cards??? :dunno:

I'm now having "second-thoughts" about visor cards, because everyone has to take a test before getting a driver's license and I would want that information about my hearing in their files than to open a visor card for passer-bys to see. I don't want the chance with "russian-roulette" that one of the passer-bys happen to be a habitual thief or somebody even more dangerous.

Rickcares said:
Hmmm! *thinking* I am not sure what to think of the idea of having bumper stickers announce that the driver is hard-of-hearing. I hesitate on that because there are guys who would try to follow deaf drivers and find out where they live and possibly break-in their home(s) at night or wait until the deaf person is gone shopping and one guy follow you to keep an eye on your whereabouts while talking on a cell phone to another guy robbing your house. And because of the good and bad about cell phones, the robber is gone before you return home. I hate to break it this way, but better safe by not being very open about deafness. The deaf need to protect themselves.

A visor card hidden until stopped by police is public enough. There may be people passing by and notice the visor card. Perhaps it would be better if the police find you are deaf while they do their normal check routine. In their normal check routine, they call the dispatcher to check up on license plate number on the car. I would rather that records in file show I'm deaf or hard-of-hearing and that the dispatcher can relay/reply that the driver is hearing impaired. Do we really need visor cards??? :dunno:

I'm now having "second-thoughts" about visor cards, because everyone has to take a test before getting a driver's license and I would want that information about my hearing in their files than to open a visor card for passer-bys to see. I don't want the chance with "russian-roulette" that one of the passer-bys happen to be a habitual thief or somebody even more dangerous.

Maybe its just me, but I think you are being a little too cautious saying someone would follow you home, and break into your house. What about states that have the ILY hand on the license plate, or have the ear with the slash mark on the plate? How many of those Deafies houses are broken into because they are followed home and someone breaks in once they leave the house?? I've never heard of this happening, but maybe it has....

tegumi said:
Maybe its just me, but I think you are being a little too cautious saying someone would follow you home, and break into your house. What about states that have the ILY hand on the license plate, or have the ear with the slash mark on the plate? How many of those Deafies houses are broken into because they are followed home and someone breaks in once they leave the house?? I've never heard of this happening, but maybe it has....

Yes, you may have a point there. Maybe I'm a bit too cautious. I guess it stems from a report close to home about 14 years ago when a middle aged couple (not deaf) were followed to their home from town where I live. Two men thought this couple had a lot of money on hand and killed them. The killers then searched and turned the house upside down looking for money and they found very little money like around 10 to 20 dollars something like that. They ended up in jail. They had bad records before they killed this couple. The victims' son found them about 1 or 2 days later. He was already living on his own, but it was such a shock to see his own parents killed.

While on this subject, had the couple noticed early on they were being followed, I would not drive home, but drive on to the police station. I would think that surely and hopefully this would make the bad guys stop following and vamoose.

Back