New "VideoPhone"?

Were demonstrating that at our deaf awareness booth at OC Fair this year.

Richard

NightwarriorJin said:

I don't get it. What do you mean by 258?

You can this Ojo buy now for $800. No thanks. You can get a DVC-1000 for $200 while supply your own TV for about $100 and still get a bigger screen and good features.

The 16:9 ratio in all the demonstrations and pictures doesn't give enough wideness for signing -- contrast that to D-Link DVC-1000 promotional pictures on the D-Link website and you'll see they often show the person from top of head to elbow, vs. Ojo's centering of the head down to the top of the chest. The shoulders of most people in it are cut off. This prevents signing from being seen or being clear and natural.

The phone book feature is neat -- have a picture with the person by it. Very desireable.

Creating custom messages for incoming calls is great -- but it's a "future enhancement" meaning it's a bunch of bull put out for marketing purposes. It mentions nothing about "answering machine features" that would really take advantage of the custom messages.

I don't like anything else about it. The overall shape is okay, but leans towards form over function -- it's meant to look good instead of meeting the needs of a deaf user.

258- very interesting..

DAMNN I LIKE THAT STYLE MUCh better than a regular vp on tv and etc but its must be too expensive!!!! :shock:

*grumble*

I forgot that 258 = "very interesting." I kept thinking it was a technical spec, like 256K or the $$$ price.

Next time, I'll have to turn on my brain and do a grammar check before I post.

:laugh2: thats okay because its been a longest while for us to remembering the signs that we forgot to use... shit happens.

What is even more interesting is that they are using the latest video compression (H.264) so--- I wonder when we will have a device similar to VP that have: CCD sensor and H.264 (the vp we have now uses CMOS sensor!)

I think that this device is the best one I ever seen.

The D-Link device and TV set are old fashion because the TV has a lot of electricity.

The price is way too expensive. I definitely will not buy it unless it is less than 200 dollars, and especially it does not charge a monthly service fee.

If the company wants you to pay the service fee every month, it is likely that the company will go out of business.

Good good good! let the sucker shell out $ on research and try to sell high only to find out they aren't as profit as they thought, then they will scrap that idea to somebody else. That way, somebody else would even had better idea and cheaper. Happens all the time, seen that already, and its gonna to repeat. Your right, h.264 seems to be newer protocol. Hope this lands to something else better.
IMHO it is nice device, but the screen is way too small! looks like 4 by 7 inch screen. Perhaps Im too used with 36 inch tv! 800 dollars is little too high, you could buy nice 13 inch LCD tv for 300 dollars and hook up these free videophone you can get from one of three providers ($500 dollars savings).

No, they don't use as much electricity as you think. Believe me, Sorenson and Dlink VP uses about 15 watts of electricity, equals to 2 night lights, and most modern TV uses anywhere from 25 watts to 75 watts (Depends on what kind TV), still less electricity than regular light bulbs. No big deal, and if you left them on 24/7 and assume electricity rate is ten cents per 1,000 watts an hour will cost you about 3 dollars for whole month, are you crying over 3 dollars?

webexplorer said:
The D-Link device and TV set are old fashion because the TV has a lot of electricity.

diehardbiker65 said:
No big deal, and if you left them on 24/7 and assume electricity rate is ten cents per 1,000 watts an hour will cost you about 3 dollars for whole month, are you crying over 3 dollars?

Laughing. Unless if you have a large TV like over 25" and sit on a chair watching sports and drinking beers all day that make you fat.

I like the H.264 because it is a plenty of room on a table. Maybe, you might able to hook it up to a TV or 20" LCD set. It is a peace of your mind that make your house beautiful and roomy.

I don't see any AV outputs or TV out connectors on these device. I don't think it is designed to hook up with other TV.
Time will tell
I got 4 TV in my house, remmy I have kids, 19, 27,32, and 36 inch, and some of them tend to be left on most of the time. I also have three PC. My electric bills, (My area is one of highest rate in the usa) only cost me 65 dollars a month average, this includes central air. What makes my electric bills darn cheap? That is cause I have high energy efficent refridgerator! Don't you all know about 60% of your electric bills came from fridge? That is if you don't have electric stove, and hot water heater. So taking good care of fridge will save you bunch of money! Keeping your fridge at least half full and 90% full will make your electric bills cheaper. Keeping it mostly empty uses more electricity because air don't keep cool as well as solids does. Keeping it overfilled will make the circulating less efficent.

webexplorer said:
Laughing. Unless if you have a large TV like over 25" and sit on a chair watching sports and drinking beers all day that make you fat.

I like the H.264 because it is a plenty of room on a table. Maybe, you might able to hook it up to a TV or 20" LCD set. It is a peace of your mind that make your house beautiful and roomy.

There are ALOT of questions to be asked.

1) Is this device compatible for calling exsisting Video Relay Services?
2) Is this device compatible with D-Link and Sorenson Video Phones?
3) Is the image on the screen big enough so that you can back up from the device for signing?

These are a few questions I would have. You guys who use VPs more may have more questions.

Not really, depending on how old it is, and what kind of hot water heater it came from. And how it was set up. Just remember, dishwasher does use little more electricity than fridge (probably around 1,000 watts), but it runs only couple hours each time it cycles (The dishwasher heater takes the most of the electricty and turns on about half of the time just to keep water hot). Verses modern fridge that uses 600 watts, but runs more than half of time in 24 hours period. That is ALOT! Even worse, older fridge usually takes around 900 to 1100 watts. Here is little serect about energy savings with dishwhasher, it is skip the heat dry, and when it done with washing dishes just pry it open for 10 seconds to let alot steam air out then shut it. It will get dry in no time. I have done that many times and works each time.
NightwarriorJin said:
What about dishwasher? I was told that Dishwasher do cost lots in enegry stuff. Just wondering.

1: Maybe not
2: Maybe not

Why #1 and #2 is maybe not? It has alot to do with protocol. H.264 isn't compatible with h.232! Same concept, America TTY protocol uses 45.5 baud baudot and Europe TTY protocol uses 50 baud baudot and you Americans can't call europe TTY. So, that 45.5 and 50.0 baud baudot is a protocol! So it is a good chance that h.232 and h.264 won't be compatible. I won't bet on it yet.

#3 I don't think so. It looks like 3 by 7 inch screen. For people who wants talk in ASL, really need wider than that!

So my gut feeling is that this device will be a flop, but perfect for next person or company to improve the idea. Motorola is getting general idea but into wrong direction.

prostock19 said:

3) Is the image on the screen big enough so that you can back up from the device for signing?

These are a few questions I would have. You guys who use VPs more may have more questions.

diehardbiker65 said:
#3 I don't think so. It looks like 3 by 7 inch screen. For people who wants talk in ASL, really need wider than that!

You know more about the device. Can you write to the company about the problem? I hope that the company is willing to change its version such as the LCD (monitor) size and a standard baudot that meet the international code (?). And, perhaps an adaptor for a TV set.

Nah, let them figure out. hehehe Really I think their major problem would be protocol issues. If they want to stick with H.264 then its useless for most of deafies anyway!
I just talked with one of my friend who knows about about these stuff, he told me no way it would work with any VRS, nor any Dlink VP.

Back to point, $800 dollars?, should I care? not really!

webexplorer said:
You know more about the device. Can you write to the company about the problem? I hope that the company is willing to change its version such as the LCD (monitor) size and a standard baudot that meet the international code (?). And, perhaps an adaptor for a TV set.

prostock19 said:

1) Depends on a couple of things. a) Can the device do both H.323 and H.264 protocol transmissions? If yes, then it probably can. If not, then most, if not all, VRS players will have to upgrade their servers and desktops to accept H.264. That's not an easy or quick task to do. They will probably have to wait 6 months to do that.

2) See above. DVC-1000 and VP-100 only advertise H.323 protocol on their devices. In order to upgrade to H.264, you have to change the hardware inside. It is not able to be done downloading an automatic software upgrade. Sorry.

3) From what I see of every ad for the Ojo, NO. The screen is too small to see if you move back, and the person can't see your arms if you stay close enough to see.

The Ojo screen is 6-by-3.5-inches. That includes the "self view" portion of the program. Every single review I saw had a picture of the Ojo without a self view while mentioning the '6" x 3.5" screen.'

If you have a tiny TV screen, like 13", you're still getting close to 9" x 9", and even with the videophone program taking up some screen space, you still have plenty of room for video.

What's missing on the discussion here is that THERE IS A MONTHLY FEE for using Ojo. $14.95 a month. What?! Other videophones are free!

Protocol have nothing to do with transmission. It have alot to do with "Handshake language". Just like trying for a person who speaks only english talking to a person who speaks russian only. Can this work out? Ofc nope! Upgrading is the least likely will happen. Only time will tell for sure.

Your right on it, screen is WAY WAY too small! Especially with sign language. Man! I was almost right on size! It was my pure estimate 3 by 7 inch

Finally, I am not interesting in paying extra fees for somthing else that I don't have to pay subscription.

Now you see why I said good good good, because Motorola is going to make huge mistake! They thought VP is in high demand which is indeedly correct, but not for hearing side market. They missed out BIG time, they forgot about deafies where there is majority of demands are! I am just laughing.

Dennis said:
1) Depends on a couple of things. a) Can the device do both H.323 and H.264 protocol transmissions? If yes, then it probably can. If not, then most, if not all, VRS players will have to upgrade their servers and desktops to accept H.264. That's not an easy or quick task to do. They will probably have to wait 6 months to do that.

2) See above. DVC-1000 and VP-100 only advertise H.323 protocol on their devices. In order to upgrade to H.264, you have to change the hardware inside. It is not able to be done downloading an automatic software upgrade. Sorry.

3) From what I see of every ad for the Ojo, NO. The screen is too small to see if you move back, and the person can't see your arms if you stay close enough to see.

The Ojo screen is 6-by-3.5-inches. That includes the "self view" portion of the program. Every single review I saw had a picture of the Ojo without a self view while mentioning the '6" x 3.5" screen.'

If you have a tiny TV screen, like 13", you're still getting close to 9" x 9", and even with the videophone program taking up some screen space, you still have plenty of room for video.

What's missing on the discussion here is that THERE IS A MONTHLY FEE for using Ojo. $14.95 a month. What?! Other videophones are free!

Back