New type of implant

neecy

Reaction score
An "intra-neural" processor implanted directly into the auditory nerve might give even better hearing than CI, and might not even require an external processor. People who already have CI's could be implanted too! Very interesting article. Its amazing the advances they are making with science these days.

Courtesy of Science Central:

Cochlear implants have been around for years, restoring hearing for many people. But, as this ScienCentral video explains, a new version promises to improve the quality of what patients hear.

Dr. David Acus of Herrick Memorial Hospital in Tecumseh, Michigan was a twenty-five year veteran of the emergency room when hearing loss forced him to quit his job. Then he got a cochlear implant.
“The cochlear implant is wonderful. It’s allowed me to go back to work.”

In a healthy ear, vibrations are translated into electrical signals inside the cochlea, a small bony structure of the inner ear. The signals are sent to the brain via the auditory nerve. Congenital problems, injury, illness, or aging can cause hearing loss. One solution is to insert an electrical array into the cochlea that translates external sounds into electrical impulses.

These conventional cochlear implants are remarkably effective, and have improved the hearing of nearly 100,000 deaf people worldwide. However, the implants stimulate the ear's auditory nerve indirectly, through the bony wall of the cochlea. Neuroscientist John Middlebrooks of the University of Michigan points out that muddles music and vocal tones.
“It’s a little bit like playing a piano with boxing gloves on your hands: you can make a big sound, and you can touch all the keys, but you can’t play single keys individually.”

Conventional cochlear implant. Middlebrooks points to auditory nerve.
Middlebrooks and his colleague Russell Snyder at the University of California, San Francisco have developed what they believe is a better solution–a tiny silicon device designed to be implanted directly in the auditory nerve.

They published their findings in the Journal of the Association for Research in Otolaryngology. To test the efficacy of the new device, they used three animal models: normal hearing, a conventional cochlear implant, and a new intra-neural implant. They played a tone and looked at the response of the auditory midbrain, a portion of the brain that interprets sounds.

Brain's response to hearing a tone. Coutesy John Middlebrooks.
In normal hearing, there is a strong response corresponding to frequency played. With the conventional cochlear implant, the brain registered sound, but not at a specific frequency. With the new intra-neural implant, the graph shows a strong, specific response–similar to normal hearing.

Middlebrooks explains the benefits of the new device. “It will give people hopefully better hearing in complex environments and also some perception of pitches, so they’ll be able to enjoy music and also understand the melodious quality of other people’s voices.”

Conventional cochlear implant external microphone and battery pack.
He adds the implant has another advantage. It’s so small and uses so little electricity, it may be possible to implant the entire device under the skin. That means people could wear them in the shower or while swimming, giving them 24-hour-a-day hearing with no external battery to charge.

Researchers need to verify the safety of the new implants. And they hope to start human trials in about five years. In the meantime, Middlebrooks encourages people to go ahead and get a cochlear implant now if they are a good candidate for one. Doctors should still be able to implant an intra-neural device at a later time when it becomes available.

Publications: JARO. January 30, 2007.
Research funded by: National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders.

full article: New Hearing Implant: ScienCentral Video News

Sound pretty interesting. Hopefully those kind of new CIs would let me to join the military. But I feel it'd be no-no.

Plus, I've been told that some Japanese scientists tested on a deaf hamster to became hearing. Not sure if it's true.

I can see how it is easy for that implant to bypass the CI implant but I am curious to know how safe it is to inject a needle into that array of nerves and how effective it will be. That's the big concern for me but if it will offer a dramatic improvement over CI, then I am all for it! :)

I can see how it is easy for that implant to bypass the CI implant but I am curious to know how safe it is to inject a needle into that array of nerves and how effective it will be. That's the big concern for me but if it will offer a dramatic improvement over CI, then I am all for it! :)

For me it is hard to say. It seems to me that the drilling needed to reach the area is closer to the brain. Second it appears at first look that the implant will be in the internal auditory canal and I am not sure how this is going to work for people with large auditory canals. It also seems that there is a greater risk of fluid leakage and infection. Maybe the hurdles can be overcome.

i began to wonder... how the hell can i stand the sound all night.. if i can't turn it off when i go to bed.. or if i want to have a peaceful quiet time..

DeafSCUBA98: Ha. My husband and I just had a convo about it last night. I told him I could hear the TV in the other room very well and he was saying he could barely even hear it. I asked him how the hell can he not? He said that maybe it's cause he is used to it, he's able to tune it out much better than me as he is hearing & I replied that I am glad I can turn off my CI's whenever I want it to be completely quiet. He said "just turn down the volume on the CI!?" I replied "Um, it's at the lowest setting!" lol.

So with this new implant, and being able to wear it during shower sounds cool but I don't care to not hear for my 10-20 mins showers! As for swimming, that'd be awesome, I would then be able to actually hear everyone I swim with. :)
But for sleeping. . . grr, I'd want some peace & quiet. lol. Unless, of course, tinnitus acts up that's when I'll keep the CI on to listen to music/TV to mask the Tinnitus. :)

Can't wait to know what will become of this new type of implant. . .

Sounds very interesting. I may consider that for my non CI side. That way I get the best of both worlds.

Well, that sounds interesting. I'll have to look into it for my right ear if I don't get bilateral implants.

DeafSCUBA98: Ha. My husband and I just had a convo about it last night. I told him I could hear the TV in the other room very well and he was saying he could barely even hear it. I asked him how the hell can he not? He said that maybe it's cause he is used to it, he's able to tune it out much better than me as he is hearing & I replied that I am glad I can turn off my CI's whenever I want it to be completely quiet. He said "just turn down the volume on the CI!?" I replied "Um, it's at the lowest setting!" lol.

So with this new implant, and being able to wear it during shower sounds cool but I don't care to not hear for my 10-20 mins showers! As for swimming, that'd be awesome, I would then be able to actually hear everyone I swim with. :)
But for sleeping. . . grr, I'd want some peace & quiet. lol. Unless, of course, tinnitus acts up that's when I'll keep the CI on to listen to music/TV to mask the Tinnitus. :)

Can't wait to know what will become of this new type of implant. . .

Yep, and sounds are magnified by the presence of water, whcih makes them even more annoying and confusing!

Sounds very interesting. I may consider that for my non CI side. That way I get the best of both worlds.

that's exactly what I was thinking too!!! I can't wait to find out more about it in the future!

It's too late for me since I'm already bilateral, but that's okay. I *love* the bilateral hearing I have now. :)

Sounds horrible. I'd go mad if I was forced to wear a hearing aid that I just couldn't switch off.

Sounds horrible. I'd go mad if I was forced to wear a hearing aid that I just couldn't switch off.

Naw, it ain't so bad. One gets used to it. I would love to be able to hear all the time. I admit the biggest adjustment would be when sleeping and hearing stuff.

Each to their own...;)

well i don't think its too late since at the end it says people with CI are still able to get one

I obviously missed that part. :stupid: I still don't think I'd opt for this since the only advantage for me would be being able to hear while swimming. One thing I *would* be very curious to know, however, is if this CI has the potential of increasing people's speech discrimination scores to any degree compared to today's current technology.

I obviously missed that part. :stupid: I still don't think I'd opt for this since the only advantage for me would be being able to hear while swimming. One thing I *would* be very curious to know, however, is if this CI has the potential of increasing people's speech discrimination scores to any degree compared to today's current technology.

You would have to believe so from this excerpt below...

They published their findings in the Journal of the Association for Research in Otolaryngology. To test the efficacy of the new device, they used three animal models: normal hearing, a conventional cochlear implant, and a new intra-neural implant. They played a tone and looked at the response of the auditory midbrain, a portion of the brain that interprets sounds.

Brain's response to hearing a tone. Coutesy John Middlebrooks.
In normal hearing, there is a strong response corresponding to frequency played. With the conventional cochlear implant, the brain registered sound, but not at a specific frequency. With the new intra-neural implant, the graph shows a strong, specific response–similar to normal hearing.

Middlebrooks explains the benefits of the new device. “It will give people hopefully better hearing in complex environments and also some perception of pitches, so they’ll be able to enjoy music and also understand the melodious quality of other people’s voices.”

To me, that is something really worth considering for this alone...

Back