New type of glasses double as hearing aids

Heath

Reaction score
A new type of eyeglasses hear just fine.

Scientists from Delft University of Technology in The Netherlands have developed spectacles with tiny embedded microphones on each side.

This is no laboratory pipedream. They were developed commercially and people are already wearing them.

The glasses, called Varibel, dampen surrounding noise while selectively strengthening sounds coming from in front of the wearer. The device separates proffered sounds from the unwanted with twice the sensitivity of a traditional hearing aid, the manufacturer claims.

According to the U.S. National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders, one in three people past the age of 60 suffer from hearing loss.

Apart from their unaesthetic appearance, traditional hearing aids intensify sounds from all directions, sometimes making it hard for a user to focus on normal conversation. This causes many to withdraw from social settings and even leave their jobs earlier in life.

But with Varibel, sounds are picked up primarily from the direction a user is looking.

"Practical experience with the hearing-glasses supports the theoretical claims that the ability to understand speech is much better,” said Cor Stengs, a researcher involved with the clinical tests of the product. “There is a significant improvement in the sound quality.”

http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/20060407/sc_space/newglassesdoubleashearingaids

Heath
These have be around for years! This company may just start making these, But the truth is Eyewear aids have be around alot long then you..
LMM have had a set when she was young, didn't like them, Because if she need glass fix she had wait. Same if Aid need to fix.

LMM

My ENT doctor advised to get a type like that in 1989.. but it's not practical..
I prefer my hearing aid to be independent of my spectacles .. I wear a BTE and love it :mrgreen:

maybe technology behind these changed - but already in the 70ties my brother had Oticon glasses with HA incorporated into them..

very similar to those:

hearing_aid_glasses.jpg

Fuzzy

Blah... not for me. They would make me look like super nerds!

Back