New to VR and also newly Deaf support please?

tdurrant

Reaction score
I became newly Deaf over christmas. I was born with progressive hearing loss. I have vr installed a few days ago but don't think I am good enough in my reading sign to use the service. I have been told I can sign fine. Anyone else been where I am at? Any suggestions? I am also a social work student so if there are any Deaf social workers out there I could use advice on communicating at work and over the phone.

I became newly Deaf over christmas. I was born with progressive hearing loss. I have vr installed a few days ago but don't think I am good enough in my reading sign to use the service. I have been told I can sign fine. Anyone else been where I am at? Any suggestions? I am also a social work student so if there are any Deaf social workers out there I could use advice on communicating at work and over the phone.

I am right there with you now. I am learning sign since I have had random outages. I too have installed VR, since I realized that when I lost my hearing, my 1st thought was to call for help and realized that does not work very well when you can't hear. Since then, my hearing came back, degraded but still usable, so I am still able to use a voice phone for the most part.

I suggest using Purple, since they have a text relay option that I will have to use since my sign is not good enough to rely on for communications.

Any suggestions? I am also a social work student so if there are any Deaf social workers out there I could use advice on communicating at work and over the phone.

i would suggest at least trying the VP at least once. umm at work you can use IP Relay online. all you need is java script and internet on your computer. it is like a TTY but with out the equipment. i love it! Also, i use CapTel. its a captioned telephone with amplified heand set. the only problem using it at work is that you will need tech support for multi line phone system and your customers will need to know the 1-800 number before dialing your work number. its nice though cuz you can use it like a regular phone too cuz you can turn the captions on and off as needed. also you can see your messages from an ansering machine by holding your handset up to the speaker of the message machine and hitting play.; its great!

if nothing else, use skype and or aol/yahoo messenger with video and text or voice. me and my parents use yahoo video calls. its nice because they can hear me talk and they can type back. and we can practice asl together.

hope this helps some.....:hmm:

Back