New to this forum but not to hearing loss. Questions about new technology

DeafandDynamic

Reaction score
Born 61 years ago profoundly deaf. Am constantly in awe of the progress in technology for HoH/d/D in terms of assistive devices, and things even as simple as CC. I grew up with none of that (BTE aids from a young age) and truly believe that young people born with hearing loss today have a great advantage. No IEP programs in education back then (I went to residential school through Grade 8 and was then mainstreamed with an aide into high school), no Disabilities Act. Just curious as to what young deaf people today value most technically in communicating and what they feel they couldn't do without. Thank you.

Well I would say that Video Relay Service/Video Phone (VRS/VP) is what most of Deaf and Hard of Hearing people value the most in technology for a form of communication especially that now it is available for mobile which allows to be used everywhere instead of having to just rely on a physical gadget at home just like it was used to for TTY because you cannot take TTY everywhere to use to make a call but with VRS you can which is great. Hope that answer your question.

Well I would say that Video Relay Service/Video Phone (VRS/VP) is what most of Deaf and Hard of Hearing people value the most in technology for a form of communication especially that now it is available for mobile which allows to be used everywhere instead of having to just rely on a physical gadget at home just like it was used to for TTY because you cannot take TTY everywhere to use to make a call but with VRS you can which is great. Hope that answer your question.
VRS/VP would work for the segment of the Deaf that know ASL/sign. That wouldn't work for those who are late-deafened or those who don't know sign.

cell phones with texting capabilities is one of the best things that's come around in the last 10 years. EMail has been around longer and is also one of the best things.

I'm not exactly "young" in terms of age, but the number doesn't matter I still feel young ;).

VRS/VP would work for the segment of the Deaf that know ASL/sign. That wouldn't work for those who are late-deafened or those who don't know sign.

cell phones with texting capabilities is one of the best things that's come around in the last 10 years. EMail has been around longer and is also one of the best things.

I'm not exactly "young" in terms of age, but the number doesn't matter I still feel young ;).
That is EXACTLY why Federal Communications Commission needs to realize that it was their mistake of stopping IP Relay Service. :roll:

Born 61 years ago profoundly deaf. Am constantly in awe of the progress in technology for HoH/d/D in terms of assistive devices, and things even as simple as CC. I grew up with none of that (BTE aids from a young age) and truly believe that young people born with hearing loss today have a great advantage. No IEP programs in education back then (I went to residential school through Grade 8 and was then mainstreamed with an aide into high school), no Disabilities Act. Just curious as to what young deaf people today value most technically in communicating and what they feel they couldn't do without. Thank you.

:welcome: to AllDeaf Forum.

I am older than you at 69 going to be 70 years old in the Fall. I still use TTY or TDD. I miss Deaf communities in the past and now with new technologies, things have changed a lot. Times goes really fast for me. Pretty soon, I will be learning and using IPad later this year. I like using the computer a lot. But I don't like the changes too fast. I hope we don't become robots. LOL

But seriously, we need Deaf communities back again. But I know there are Deaf events that we can have social chats and do things together.

In the 1950 and 1960, I was forced to be in the mainstreams schools (both elementary and high school) with oral-only method and with hard of hearing and deaf students. It was a lot of frustration and were not allowed to learn ASL and to have ASL interpreters. Now things have changed permitting to have ASL interpreters in their mainstream schools.

Now with CI (Cochlear Implant), the kids were being forced to speak and to listen but then in other places they did have ASL in their own classes. They are still struggling as usual. Nothing much had changed with the school system. Still struggling with workplaces.

Lot of young d/Deaf people are use to all the new technologies. You and I are just old people that are still struggling to try to get use to new technologies especially one thing at a time. Give us a break. **sigh** :cool2:

From the HOH perspective, I have an appreciation of CC. Prior to turning on CC I was losing interest in shows and movies I really enjoyed. CC gave that back to me.

Beyond that, Texting and the Internet are wonderful. I'm an internet native and the internet (email, IM, forums) is my preferred means to communicate with friends, family, and random people. It's also an amazing resource for information and learning.

Another is online chat as an option for support from companies. I dread using the phone anymore (if there's a less than ideal situation I do really poorly on the phone), so this is my go to option whenever it's available. Come to think of it, I love that I can order pizza online too.

Thank you for your input everyone. I was just curious . Being older and "old-school" I am not up-to-date with all the new technology but of course appreciate everything the Internet offers, texting, CC....pretty basic stuff really can be a huge help!! Things have come a long way since I was young and felt so isolated.

Thank you for your input everyone. I was just curious . Being older and "old-school" I am not up-to-date with all the new technology but of course appreciate everything the Internet offers, texting, CC....pretty basic stuff really can be a huge help!! Things have come a long way since I was young and felt so isolated.

On the bold statement, you are not alone. I feel or felt that way, too. Seem that some of the Deaf in the Deaf community don't accept me as a Senior or Elder. :hmm:
'

beb I miss deaf clubs not so many as used to be I know what you mean can be lonely
To the OP I think younger deaf people don't take the crap that older people had to..
Beb I trying to come to terms with ipad at moment it winning I losing..it one of those gadgets you need chill pill before using,i could chuck it out of window with frustration..
I also like coMputer more

Not sure how inflammatory this will seem, but I honestly value my cochlear implant most, in terms of communications. It's not an option for everyone, but it doesn't keep me from valuing it :P

Gemini, that's your choice and if you feel that has enriched your life it's not really up to me or anyone to discredit your decision. For me, personally, it was not an option--fear of change, adapting to new ways, age certainly, together with a combination of just being comfortable with the status quo and what I have known and lived with my entire life. Not sure but I never had the interest. I know this can be a hot topic in the d/Deaf community--the thought being that CIs tend to divide rather than unite us, as Deafies--but I think there are a lot of things and technologies that go into the comraderie and sense of community not being what it was years ago. Come to think of it, maybe this new technology is not all it's cracked up to be. ;). Maybe I should clarify that and say that I think for a young(ish) deaf person or someone who can easily adapt to new things it's great, but I can also relate to the train of thought that misses some of the things lacking in the d/Deaf community as it is today. Mixed blessing. Good for the younger ones--maybe not so advantageous for us older ones set in our ways who miss the social activities that just don't seem to be that plentiful anymore. :(. I'm very glad to have joined this forum tho--it's interesting to hear others opinions. Just my thoughts tho.

Gemini, that's your choice and if you feel that has enriched your life it's not really up to me or anyone to discredit your decision. For me, personally, it was not an option--fear of change, adapting to new ways, age certainly, together with a combination of just being comfortable with the status quo and what I have known and lived with my entire life. Not sure but I never had the interest. I know this can be a hot topic in the d/Deaf community--the thought being that CIs tend to divide rather than unite us, as Deafies--but I think there are a lot of things and technologies that go into the comraderie and sense of community not being what it was years ago. Come to think of it, maybe this new technology is not all it's cracked up to be. ;). Maybe I should clarify that and say that I think for a young(ish) deaf person or someone who can easily adapt to new things it's great, but I can also relate to the train of thought that misses some of the things lacking in the d/Deaf community as it is today. Mixed blessing. Good for the younger ones--maybe not so advantageous for us older ones set in our ways who miss the social activities that just don't seem to be that plentiful anymore. :(. I'm very glad to have joined this forum tho--it's interesting to hear others opinions. Just my thoughts tho.

Oh definitely, it was hard enough for me to get used to :laugh2: can't imagine how bad it'd be for an older person. I was at a conference for CI's recently, and I found it pretty cool how many of the children signed there. I live in Massachusetts, so social opportunities are probably a bit more plentiful.

Oh definitely, it was hard enough for me to get used to :laugh2: can't imagine how bad it'd be for an older person. I was at a conference for CI's recently, and I found it pretty cool how many of the children signed there. I live in Massachusetts, so social opportunities are probably a bit more plentiful.
Well, I think for social activities it depends on the size of the city you live in as well. My city is mid-size but if I lived in a larger city the opportunities would probably be more plentiful.

I should add, as far as the social aspect, (and this is totally off-topic from my original post and probably belongs in its own thread) that I have been in a relationship for several years with a hearing man. This comes with its own set of challenges. Our relationship is good but takes a lot of work. Where I feel the challenges come in is the social time we spend with his/(our) hearing friends, and his (hearing) family. He makes an effort to be inclusive but it's certainly not always easy to keep up with conversation and I usually end up frustrated and worn out by the whole experience.. But he makes such an effort for me on a day-to-day basis and I know that these friendships are important to him that I 'play along', even though I am certainly not in my comfort zone in these scenarios. So, in a sense, I sort of straddle both worlds, but my true comfort zone and sense of belonging is with the Deaf community, which brings me back to the topic of the lack of social opportunities (even for those in otherwise healthy relationships) for those whose identity lies in the Deaf culture. I think I need to start a new thread. :))

CC is great but it sure would be greater if the corrects words were used when watching show or movie on TV and videos on line.

CC is great but it sure would be greater if the corrects words were used when watching show or movie on TV and videos on line.
Exactly! The worst--or maybe the funniest--is watching a breaking story on a news channel like CNN and someone in real time is furtively typing the captioning in a back room somewhere; you get the gist of what's happening but the crawl across the screen is a joke most times.

Exactly! The worst--or maybe the funniest--is watching a breaking story on a news channel like CNN and someone in real time is furtively typing the captioning in a back room somewhere; you get the gist of what's happening but the crawl across the screen is a joke most times.
Any live tv captions are hit or miss from what I've seen, and usually laden with mistakes/typos. Hopefully robo captioning (like what Google has for YouTube videos, and which currently are really quite horrible) will get a lot better soon and we'll see accurate real time captions, in addition to accurate YouTube captions. In theory it could make captioning very cheap and accurate, so it should be wide spread once it's perfected.

Back