New To The Deaf Community

trombgirl

Reaction score
I've been completely deaf in my right ear since I was 4 months old (meningitus). My left ear has always been good enough for me to not even have to reveal that I'm half-deaf. But lately it has been coming up on a daily basis. I had my ear checked and my hearing is getting worse (though VERY slowly). I'm a college student and next semester I'm going to have to get a 'real time captioner'. That will make my hearing loss obvious to everyone. Not that I'm ashamed of my hearing loss. I've always been open about it. My friends find it hilarious that I can't play marco polo well and my boyfriend is jealous that when I don't want to hear him snoring I can just turn my good ear into my pillow. It's just that now I'm getting services from the Disabled Students Department and I'm going to be viewed as disabled. I'm NOT disabled and never have been. I just want to reach out to the deaf community so I don't feel so alone in all this.

G'dat Trombgirl,

Welcome to AD. I hope you'll feel at ease here.
Not everyone here feel they are disabled although others might have viewed them in that way at one time or other.

Cheers! :wave:

what the hell you sound like me

:cheers: only i.v been deaf in my right ear senece 12 and went completly deaf at 35 . welcome to the all deaf .the people here are great , and they do understand what your feeling and going through. allthough some may have alittle different disability's . we all here understand what it's like not to hear with your ears . but there is other ways you can comunicate. asl , is the best way for me . :wave:

Hello &
14.gif

Hello and welcome to Alldeaf trombgirl!! Don't ever feel alone and it's good to see you here in AD! Enjoy your stay here as well!! ;)

Herzlich Willkommen zu AD

Come and share your posts here with us :thumb:

:welcome: :wave: Hello Tromgirl and welcome to the AD family!!! I hope you enjoy your stay here, I agree that everyone here at AD are awesome. I look forward to reading your postings.

The word "disabled" is just a title, but, being "DEAF" that is a culture. Before TV captioning came out, I had to interpret everything for my husband, as you well know it's hard to follow a plot on TV when you can't really hear what is being said, especially when it's something funny!!! When my husband did get his caption box, the first program he watched in caption was "Alf". I have never seen my husband laugh so hard like he did in my life. It was so good to see my husband be able to share the program and have both of us laughing at the same time, not just me. TV captioning was one of the first many technologies for the deaf,that has helped my husband to be able to enjoy so many things. His Motto is "Deaf eyes are free, it's cultural"!!

Much good luck in the future for you, keep smiling, think positive, and be proud. Very, very proud of who you are!!!! :hug: :applause:

Have a wonderful day!!!

Back