New To Learning Asl! Introduction And Where To Start?

Myth

Reaction score
Hello,

My name is Myth. I am hearing and became interested in learning ASL because I have a friend who's learning it in college who wanted someone else to learn it along with them. I began reading about the Deaf community and learning about its culture and history and beyond giving my friend someone to learn with, I hope to learn the language to broaden my communication abilities; I live near Portland, OR and there are a number of deaf/hoh individuals I have interacted with in public situations (such as at work) and these interactions have never gone smoothly. In retrospect, my ignorance caused me to act in a way I'm less than proud of. I've never been intentionally rude, but I'm certain I was very frustrating to deal with. I would like future interactions to go better for all involved.

I am ready to start learning some signs now, however I lack access to in-person classes and ASL is not a language I want to study independently and assume I'm getting things right. I think online video courses will be my best bet to start out with until I know the basics and can attend a meetup with fellow ASL learners or signers, hearing or d/Deaf (I'm sure I will have the pleasure of embarrassing myself thoroughly as I will have not had the chance to have a native signer critique my signing). I'm wondering what online resources people have had success with or would recommend, if there are any books that do well in breaking down signs and giving a deeper understanding of grammar/syntax, or just any tips for beginners at the language (especially what not to do).

I hope to become an active member of this site as I continue to learn ASL. I hope you will be patient with me, and thank you for taking the time to read and/or reply to this.

Last edited:
Welcome!

The ideal way is with Deaf teachers and interacting with other Deaf people personally. But I see you wrote about lacking access....sometimes there may be a Deaf school near you that offers community sign classes, or, if you're open to it - a church with a Deaf ministry where they may teach a community sign class. My husband and I did this <latter> together a couple of years ago <though I'm Jewish>

but- "....ASL learners or speakers" - change to "ASL learners or *signers* "
By definition ASL is a visual language, NOT spoken.

It is also apart from English and has no inherent relation.

:mrgreen:

It's good to meet you!

First off, I was aware that ASL is apart from English and a visual-gestural language, I can't believe I typed that mishap of "speakers." Thank you for correcting me so politely, I am embarrassed to say the least and give my sincerest apologies.

I had not considered looking into those sorts of community classes. What a great suggestion! I'll take a look and let you know if anything comes up.

I did a search for classes adding the word "community" and found that the local community college offered non-credit classes nearby. I will definitely be attending!

hey Myth <cool name, meant to say> - you're ahead of many who come on and aren't aware the ASL is a visual language <or a language>, so that's good <smile>.
So glad you found an option!:thumb:

Back