New to ASL, hearing, 19 Female

Reaction score
I am new to learning ASL and I want to get more experience with talking to someone who is actually deaf/hard of hearing. Let me know and we can video chat. I can't skype due to my computer type but if you have a gmail then we can chat over that.

I am new to learning ASL and I want to get more experience with talking to someone who is actually deaf/hard of hearing. Let me know and we can video chat. I can't skype due to my computer type but if you have a gmail then we can chat over that.

I'm 19 and fluent. Add me "pilotavery@gmail.com" or you can use Skype on the online chat, without downloading it, on website, or you can use tinychst or anything else.

Also there is no computer or phone type that can run video chat that can't run Skype. Even Chromebooks run Skype if you know the simple workaround. You just run the android version of Skype.

Hi my name is James

Hi my name James and I take ASL class in school and If you want to lean the language I love to help and I have a hearing problem sometime.

Glad to see you ended up there! Hope you're having a BLAST!

Ehh. Good days and bad moments.
It's been as lonely here as it was growing up in the Hearing community. (I'm very close to deaf; technically HH, but only with my HA's. Without, I'm just about stone deaf.)

Feels like I'm reliving my life in the Hearing community. This time, my hearing status is not as much of a barrier anymore, but my status as a new signer IS. I've been here 5 months, and still haven't met anyone that vibes with me.

I've honestly been considering giving up; the loneliness is overwhelming.

I have searched for reasons to continue and found many, but don't have the heart to do anything unless i force myself to, which I've been doing frequently. Any words of advice? :c

Ehh. Good days and bad moments.
It's been as lonely here as it was growing up in the Hearing community. (I'm very close to deaf; technically HH, but only with my HA's. Without, I'm just about stone deaf.)

Feels like I'm reliving my life in the Hearing community. This time, my hearing status is not as much of a barrier anymore, but my status as a new signer IS. I've been here 5 months, and still haven't met anyone that vibes with me.

I've honestly been considering giving up; the loneliness is overwhelming.

I have searched for reasons to continue and found many, but don't have the heart to do anything unless i force myself to, which I've been doing frequently. Any words of advice? :c

Hi, I went to Gally for my Master's (2012-2014). I have met several new signers and they all felt the same way. There are many organizations on campus, but I know they can be kind of elitist. I did not really join any due to living offcampus and my internships ate up my time (I lived in MD and commuted). I do not know if you like theatre, but if you do; I know they are always looking for stagehands if you are not comfortable performing.

I know it can be lonely and mentally exhausting. But you are at Gally for a reason, right? You said you only have been there 5 months; I consider that fairly new. I was in your shoes -- I had reasons to continue and found many, but had to force myself to get to the end, which I did and I have this lovely degree. When you graduate with yours, you will look back and see that you have grown so much.

If you want to talk more, feel free to PM me. I know that you will have a month off pretty soon; that is the best time to shift the focus back onto yourself. =)

Rachel

Back