New to alldeaf and learning ASL.

Devora

Reaction score
Hi my name is Tosha and I am self learning ASL. I am looking to make friends to learn more about the deaf community and culture. I will be starting ASL classes next year but would love to practice online. I live in North Eastern Pennsylvania.

Greetings Devora!

It is a pleasure to meet you as it is to have you be apart of this community! :D

There is many of us to Skype and practice with as immersing your self with a deaf person is one of the best ways to accurately (I use this word for your area, but this may be different from other locations in the world) learn ASL.

Make sure to use EVERYTHING at your disposal when learing ASL. Even learning ASL in school isn't enough because exploring every possibility is what will make you a master at ASL and also, unqiue about it too.

I stick out when I sign, mainly because I "emphasize" my words! For example, when hearing people say "Good". It is a quick saying and takes less than a second to say. Now, if they say "Gooooooooooood", that takes about lets say, 3 seconds to say. Now, in ASL. To say good, you would take your dominant hand, palm towards your face, and blow a kiss (sort-of) into your left hand with your right hand's backhand placing onto your left hands palm, which means GOOD. However, just as in hearing culture, one word has many meanings. So does ASL! So, to say good, you would "dramatize" how you would sign ASL sign GOOD!

I hope I no make this confusing to you, hehe!

Don't be afraid to ask anyone questions here. We all here looking after one another!

cooltext119704021693060_zpsbtttmwvj.gif

Back