New stuff for the Deaf re access...

NitroHonda

Reaction score
I didn't want to post this in the HA section nor the captioning section as it lists a wide range of devices, 8 to be specific. Anyway, this may be a little old but I did do a search and I couldn't find anything.

A couple of these sound interesting... for me... the Babelfisk glasses and the Aria bracelet look pretty danged cool! Plus... I can see Foxrac using these hearing aids.

Right Hear, Right Now: 8 Terrific Techy Devices for the Deaf | WebUrbanist

I used captioning glasses last week when I saw the movie, The Great and Powerful Oz in 3D. I have to admit they are a really good solution. If they could make a smaller pair that would work through my Phonak FM system, it would really be something I would buy. The only issue I found was that when you look directly at the screen the captions overlay and the coloring is off. If you keep the captions just below the screen, you can see them more clearly.

P.S. The movie was pretty good, I'd recommend it.

I used captioning glasses last week when I saw the movie, The Great and Powerful Oz in 3D. I have to admit they are a really good solution. If they could make a smaller pair that would work through my Phonak FM system, it would really be something I would buy. The only issue I found was that when you look directly at the screen the captions overlay and the coloring is off. If you keep the captions just below the screen, you can see them more clearly.

P.S. The movie was pretty good, I'd recommend it.

The captioning glasses at the movie theatre and real-time captioning are VERY different. The ones at the movie theatre are captioned by real people while real-time captioning is done via a software based program.

The captioning glasses at the movie theatre and real-time captioning are VERY different. The ones at the movie theatre are captioned by real people while real-time captioning is done via a software based program.

Yes, I would imagine they are streaming the man made captions which come from the film distributor through the FM system. Although, the ones I experienced in the movie were not HoH captions, they were regular captions.

Speech recognition software is getting much better so it doesn't make me wince as much when people mention it. While Google translation still sucks when watching net videos the software Microsoft puts out isn't bad for speech recognition.

Yes, I would imagine they are streaming the man made captions which come from the film distributor through the FM system. Although, the ones I experienced in the movie were not HoH captions, they were regular captions.

Speech recognition software is getting much better so it doesn't make me wince as much when people mention it. While Google translation still sucks when watching net videos the software Microsoft puts out isn't bad for speech recognition.

What are HoH captions?

Thanks Bottesini!

I still don't understand? Can you dummy that explaination up for me?

:aw:

Subtitles for deaf and hard of hearing. It says things like, "bird sings" "footsteps approach in a sinister fashion" "eerie music plays" instead of just being the spoken word.

Thanks Bottesini!

I still don't understand? Can you dummy that explaination up for me?

:aw:

In addition to words, the captions also state other sounds such as music playing or the wind blowing. It's a jazzed up version of plain captions. Personally, I find it helpful. I can't hear the background music during most movies so I only get the voices which is great for me, but it's not the whole picture(hearing people get a different experience).

Subtitles for deaf and hard of hearing. It says things like, "bird sings" "footsteps approach in a sinister fashion" "eerie music plays" instead of just being the spoken word.

Well... that stuff should always be included! I am not hard of hearing at all but I have always liked it. It's nice to "know".

Well... that stuff should always be included! I am not hard of hearing at all but I have always liked it. It's nice to "know".

Yeah!! I watched The Grudge one night when I came home from working 2nd shift and I didn't want to wake anyone so I just muted the TV and put the captions on and they didn't have HOH caption, like it wouldn't *phone ringing* and I had noooo idea that the ghost in the movie made some freaking noise until weeks later when I was talking to my stepson about it. Apparently that noise she made was on the of the scariest elements of the movie....and I had no idea she was even doing it lol

The hearing aid gauge just kind of blows my mind!!!

some of these are interesting..and abrosia I totallyyyy forgot you live in MB..shoulda told you I was going a few weeks ago and had you meet up at the convention center when I had my competition!

Yeah!! I watched The Grudge one night when I came home from working 2nd shift and I didn't want to wake anyone so I just muted the TV and put the captions on and they didn't have HOH caption, like it wouldn't *phone ringing* and I had noooo idea that the ghost in the movie made some freaking noise until weeks later when I was talking to my stepson about it. Apparently that noise she made was on the of the scariest elements of the movie....and I had no idea she was even doing it lol

Seems to me like you just saw Nightmare on Elm Street again. Ghost kills people, makes scary noise. Ghost kills people. Ghost dies in the end.. or does it?

I probably just described the whole movie without seeing it right lol :)

Last edited:
I'm interested in that bracelet! Were still trying to find a cost-effective solution for me at home. We got a bed shaking alarm that doubles as a smoke alarm, but need to get something for the door, timers, phone, etc. Seems the bracelet would be a cheap route and not require technicians lol.

ETA: I have a service dog, but since moving in with my parents, he almost never has to work, so he's super duper lazy now ;P

some of these are interesting..and abrosia I totallyyyy forgot you live in MB..shoulda told you I was going a few weeks ago and had you meet up at the convention center when I had my competition!

Woman!!! :D That would have been fun!!

I know! Damn now I know for next year! ill try and remember..we stayed at kingston plantation? Wasn't too bad...sucked as it was far from the boardwalk though!

I know! Damn now I know for next year! ill try and remember..we stayed at kingston plantation? Wasn't too bad...sucked as it was far from the boardwalk though!

It's been kind of cool so far this spring, usually it's warmer by now I think. I'm inland a bit, right on the other side of the waterway not far from the Hard Rock Park/Freestyle Music Park....anyway the amusement park that was only open for 3 years....you might have seen the big roller coaster if you were on 501 at any point, I can see that from my apartment :) During the summer I usually stay away from the boardwalk :) When I go to the beach I park past the hotels in between the houses. Less crowds.

Water's still cold for that though, I usually don't go in it til May, too bad you guys don't do it a little later, might be a little more fun ;)

Back