New Signers' Funny Mistakes

i was signing at home, and mom asked what i was saying, and i said something about work, so she tried the sign, and did f!@k but i was dumb enough to tell her she messed up, now she wont stop using the sign.

i was signing at home, and mom asked what i was saying, and i said something about work, so she tried the sign, and did f!@k but i was dumb enough to tell her she messed up, now she wont stop using the sign.

the difference between work and f*** must be small since a bunch of people are mentioning it -- what is the difference? i hope i don't do it wrong sometimes :giggle: I'm in ASL 1

the teaching assistant for my ASL 1 class told me a story where she was trying to sign some word (can't remember which) and ended up signing "prostitute" instead :)

the difference between work and f@#k is when you do work your hands are crossed like an x when you do f@#k your hands are straight out.

the difference between work and f@#k is when you do work your hands are crossed like an x when you do f@#k your hands are straight out.

it also has to do with the way the sign for f*ck is made. when making the sign for f*ck, you make a grinding motion with your hands.

A good friend is learning ASL and recently we were in a deep conversation. I don't remember the context, but she tried to sign "poor you/pity" but instead signed "molesting". It definitely lightened the mood, and we still chuckle about it :giggle:

:wave: :shock: "I'm not a cow and your not milking me!" :laugh2: was an ASL signed reply to me asking my friend in a diner very early in the morning a long time ago now, if she wanted milk in her coffee? I done did ASL sign sometin very wrong. Yikes! (me, very embarrassed)

i went to the deaf club saturday night and met a wonderful lady from the lab, she was smoking and i meant to say "i didnt know you smoked" but instead i accidentally said "i didnt know you smoked weed..." whoopsie. :eek3: and then i went to lab on monday and she told people about it. i was so embarrassed.

My mother taught me the greatest gift people can give to themselves and to the world is for us to learn to laugh at ourselves.

Pass it on.

Last edited:
How funny. I met my friends at Mc Ds before church one night, I do the interpretation at church. We were talking about potatoes and french fries at Mc Ds. We go to church, and the song for that night is: God is my Rock. Only I sign, God is my potatoe. The deaf girl and hearing girl both look at me then finally after about the 5th verse repeats God is my potatoe, do they sign back at me HEY...ROCK YOU FOOL!

I am surprised how many people sign work wrong...but in context of the sentence, i know it is work and not.....what u said

while reviewing my weekly signs, my sign language instructor asked me to show her how to sign "work." once i did, she immediately started laughing (which i wasn't offended by since we always found something to laugh about during my lessons) and told me i had signed "f***" instead of "work." i was so embarrassed! :oops: Needless to say, i never made that mistake again. :)

I was just told about a woman, who is now an interpreter, who had only seen the sign "joy" described in a book.

She learned she was doing it wrong when people started laughing or looking at her in horror as she signed "joy to the world": She signed "joy" by using her hands to bounce her breasts up and down vigorously.

My friend tried to sign "color" but instead did mean sign for "jew" . God she felt awful

I was just told about a woman, who is now an interpreter, who had only seen the sign "joy" described in a book.

She learned she was doing it wrong when people started laughing or looking at her in horror as she signed "joy to the world": She signed "joy" by using her hands to bounce her breasts up and down vigorously.

oh no! how embarrassing!

When I first learned the sign for work it was not like it is today. It was more like the manacle sign for slavery.

Considering the work d/Deaf people were allowed to do 55 years ago it was an obvious comparison.

I was signing to some people I had just met at a holiday celebration, and we were standing next to a menorah. I looked over at it, and then told them that my fraternity had the same colors as the menorah. But instead of saying "THOSE CANDLES MY FRATERNITY COLOR SAME", I signed "THOSE CANDLES MY FRATERNITY DIRTY SAME"...the two men just stared at me for a second, and then I realized what I did and corrected myself and we all had a big laugh about it. :giggle:

One time we had a new teacher who didnt know sign -- we were teaching him all sorts of wrong signs. Other teacher came in once and saw him signing something very morbid, we all busted our guts....

:giggle:

Back