New Scientist article

R2D2

Reaction score
Ear implant success sparks culture war - health - 23 November 2006 - New Scientist

Click to PrintEar implant success sparks culture war
23 November 2006
NewScientist.com news service
Rachel Nowak
COULD the end of sign language for deaf children be in sight? A spate of new studies has shown that profoundly deaf babies who receive cochlear implants in their first year of life develop language and speech skills remarkably close to those of hearing children. Many of the children even learn to sing passably well and function almost flawlessly in the hearing world.

These findings may sound like a triumph to audiologists and the hearing parents of deaf babies. But they have done little to convince those in the deaf community who maintain that it is unethical to give deaf babies cochlear implants, which bypass damaged areas of the ear and stimulate the auditory nerve directly.

"The idea of operating on a healthy baby makes us all recoil," says Harlan Lane, a psycholinguist at Northeastern University in Boston. "Deaf people argue that they use a different language, and with it comes a different culture, but there is certainly nothing wrong with them that needs fixing with a surgeon's scalpel. We should listen."

Ever since cochlear implants became commercially available 20 years ago they have been seen as a threat to the culture and language of those born profoundly deaf. The fiercest opposition has been to their use in children, who could otherwise grow up proficient in sign language. Until recently there was no good evidence that implants routinely improved children's chances of developing normal speech and language, raising fears that those fitted with implants would be stuck in a no-man's land - part of neither the hearing world nor the deaf one.

That concern may be put to rest by the new studies. In one, presented last week at the Bionic Ear Institute in Melbourne, Australia, a team led by Richard Dowell at the University of Melbourne showed that 11 profoundly deaf children who received cochlear implants before the age of 1 had entirely normal language development at least up to age 4 to 5. Language skills were assessed using a battery of tests, including routine tests of comprehension and expression and observing at what age they started different types of babbling and using key words.

Their language development was also superior to a further 36 children who had been implanted at age 1 or 2, suggesting that the earlier the implant is fitted the better. "The kids still don't have normal hearing, but they have normal language. They can have a conversation, make a joke, lie, tease - all those normal things that 4 or 5-year-olds do," says team member Shani Dettman.

The team's findings are supported by other studies, including one from Johanna Nicholas of Washington University in St Louis, Missouri, and Ann Geers of the University of Texas at Dallas. It showed a dramatic improvement in the spoken language skills of 76 profoundly deaf children at the age of 3, if they had received their cochlear implant closer to 1 year old rather than 3 years (Ear and Hearing, vol 27, page 286).

The findings are particularly important because spoken language skills seem key to a child's chance of fully integrating into hearing society. A separate study by Thomas Lenarz and Anke Lesinski-Schiedat of the University of Hannover in Germany found that a child who gets a cochlear implant before the age of 2 has a 70 per cent chance of attending an ordinary school, compared with a 30 per cent chance for a child who receives an implant between the ages of 2 and 4.

Geers agrees deaf culture may be under threat, but says "there is no hostility here. People are doing this so that deaf people can live in the hearing world, marry who they like, and work where they like, and so that hearing parents can have their children as part of their culture. But it must seem like genocide to the deaf."

Until these latest findings, implants had only been shown successful in adults who had gone deaf later in life, rather than in the estimated 1 in 2000 people born profoundly deaf each year. The majority of those born deaf had had their implants fitted when they were older than 3, and while many could understand speech, very few developed normal language abilities, suggesting that experience with language from a young age was needed to fill in the gaps in the information provided by the implant. Even the most technically advanced implant provides the brain with only an extremely coarse approximation of the signal provided by a healthy ear.

The new results show that very young children can learn the complex rules of language using a cochlear implant, presumably because the infant brain is so adaptable.

From issue 2579 of New Scientist magazine, 23 November 2006, page 16-17

Indeed a very interesting article!

Even the most technically advanced implant provides the brain with only an extremely coarse approximation of the signal provided by a healthy ear.

Ummm...I dunno about this coarse approximation bit. It sounds pretty good now... :whistle: I guess it will keep getting better and better with the upgrades. Sooooo, I can't wait for them. :D

The new results show that very young children can learn the complex rules of language using a cochlear implant, presumably because the infant brain is so adaptable.

You bet your bippy! This is a no brainer...pardon the pun.

It says in the article "no man's land" .

That's where I'm at even though I dont have the implant.

Richard

I must confess to having very mixed feelings toward this article. While I think it's great that infant implantees would have access to spoken language, I must confess that I don't like the idea of sign language dying out due to progress.

deafskeptic, I agree..........I think that the article sounds a little too optimistic. Just b/c a deaf kid has done OK with speech, it doesn't mean that Sign might not be helpful. Matter of fact, I remmy reading that most kids do pick up ASL as a second language. The article doesn't acknowledge that being technologly dependant is just as bad as being dependant on an interpreter.

...The article doesn't acknowledge that being technologly dependant is just as bad as being dependant on an interpreter.

To borrow a phrase from a now infrequent poster...QFT! So, true...so true. I'm so aware of that and always have been since being a teenager (with HA then) centuries ago. Now, I have a CI and all it would take is the economic system as we know to collapse and where does that leave me?!?!?

Oh, how I walk a such a fine and narrow line in life....*sighs*

To borrow a phrase from a now infrequent poster...QFT! So, true...so true. I'm so aware of that and always have been since being a teenager (with HA then) centuries ago. Now, I have a CI and all it would take is the economic system as we know to collapse and where does that leave me?!?!?

I'm aware of that too and that is why if I had a very profoundly deaf kid in the future I would teach him/her sign as well go through the process of a CI. It's good to have a range of communication skills and in fact the way the article talks about speech progress with the CI that just makes the ability to both speak and sign proficiently that much easier.

I think I was more deluded when I had hearing aids - I didn't even conceive that one day I might not be able to use them until the day my hearing was zapped in just seconds. How things can quickly change!

So true. If I were to have kids, I'd want to raise a child who'd be fluent in at least two languages. Given my lifestyle, I'd want that my kid to be fluent in ASL, English and Spanish. If the child is deaf and an CI, I'd want the kid to be somewhat fluent in LSM (Mexican Sign Language) as well because there is also a Deaf Mexican population where I live. When I was a kid, I remember thinking I'd want my child to be fluent in French or Spanish. It never occurred to me when I was growing up that Sign would be just as valid as French.

It also never occurred to me that one day I'd receive little benefit from my HA and that I'd stop wearing it for a while when I was a child.

Did I mention that I was a hold out against CIs before I joined AD? This site has changed my mind on CIs.

Wow...... its awesome that the oral sucesses here, think that ASL is a pretty good tool to have. It all depends on your perspective. Yeah, someone with oral skills doesn't have to depend on a 'terp, but on the other hand, they are dependant on good quality health care. That is something that's expensive for even nondisabled people nowadays!

So true. If I were to have kids, I'd want to raise a child who'd be fluent in at least two languages. Given my lifestyle, I'd want that my kid to be fluent in ASL, English and Spanish. If the child is deaf and an CI, I'd want the kid to be somewhat fluent in LSM (Mexican Sign Language) as well because there is also a Deaf Mexican population where I live. When I was a kid, I remember thinking I'd want my child to be fluent in French or Spanish. It never occurred to me when I was growing up that Sign would be just as valid as French.

Heh, I do use some LSM, am learning it as I go along, and we do have a very sizeable deaf mexican community here in San Antonio. I've only lived here 8 months so far.

Lucia,

How does LSM differ from ASL, PSE and SEE? Does LSM use a different grammatical structure (like ASL) or is it more English based (English word order, but in Spanish)?

I'm glad that the deaf Mexicans do use LSM around you. They wouldn't use LSM around us at the local Deaf Club and I've seen 'em at the club only once. I remember talking to a hearing Mexican via ASL. She didn't know English and I don't know how to speak in Spanish so we used ASL which she learned from her son. I can read just enough Spanish (thanks to all the bilingual signs at the grocery store) to order food in Spanish if I want. Hopefully the Mexicans kids won't be so shy about LSM around my kids if I ever become a mom. I'm 40 now so it's not likely that'll happen. I do know a few signs in BSL thanks to a English terp who moved here.

Lucia,

How does LSM differ from ASL, PSE and SEE? Does LSM use a different grammatical structure (like ASL) or is it more English based (English word order, but in Spanish)?

Not sure, I don't know enough LSM yet to know the difference, plus I know very little Spanish as well.

I know just enough spanish...actually texican slang to get my ass kicked in a bar. :fu: :beer: :boink: , then :pissed: UH-OH:run: :rifle:
I know, i know......:topic:

I wore my HA's since I was 3, My speech is a little off, but it's decent. It's a pain to articulate sometimes, but anyway. I didn't even THINK of sign language. Hell, I didn't the degree of my own deafness until I had an interest withen the past year. I'm glad I got into it. I'm learning sign language, probably going deaf for the heck if i know. (if i am, i'll post it later after my Hearing appointment on thursday).

Either way, just because someone wears hearing aids, CI's whatever, they might still spark an interest in it at some point in their life, even if not submerged into the culture.

Sorry couldnt help it. I was in a goofy mood before bed last night. As for the Texas Ranger thing, No thanks. I have had enough of Texas. I spent 3 years on Ft.Hood, practically lived in Austin. When I got out of the Army, I lived in DAllas for 6 months. I loved Austin, you can have the rest. I just got sooo sick of the proud Texan attitude. I used to spend my free time messing with proud texans that I worked with. Man they get pissed when you start telling texas jokes!

Ear implant success sparks culture war - health - 23 November 2006 - New Scientist
Even the most technically advanced implant provides the brain with only an extremely coarse approximation of the signal provided by a healthy ear.

Hmmmm....I don't get this coarse thingy.. to me the signal sounds normal. Much clearer then the 'coarseness' of my HA's.

Is this something like the Mickey Mouse sounds that I was supposed to hear? I didn't really notice that to me the sound for the first 3 weeks was like being in a bubble. LOL But coarse? don't think so.

Back