New RID test--is it passable???

what do you do- continue interpreting, and before everyone is dismissed...come out of role and make aware that this needs to be reported that having sex with a minor is taking place and I have to report it under the mandated law
Do you want us to give feedback on your answers, or answer the question ourselves, or anything like that? I have some thoughts on your response.

Absolutely

Feedback is always welcome...my response is quick, not in depth. I just touching upon the conflict.
I taking my test next week...PLEASE any help I can get...Is much appreciated

These scenerios are for everyone to respond, Please do not think mine is the way to go...
there is no right or wrong answer

Hi again
Ok. Scenerio #1...
How I have been studing is not by identifying the one obvious confict, but by identifying all possible conflicts related to all parties, for example
Coflict with pregnant girl...young and just found out pregnant, boyfriend-surprised or not, now becoming a father, dr-wanting the best possible ourcome for the well being. Interpreter...interpreting possible options that i might not agree with and needing to stay neutral.
The most obvious conflict would be that -Mandated Law??? Do you think this needs to be reported b/c of the under age??? Is this the same law in all states? In NJ, being over 18 haveing sex with under 18 is against the law-possible "rape" even thou consenting parties????

what do you do- continue interpreting, and before everyone is dismissed...come out of role and make aware that this needs to be reported that having sex with a minor is taking place and I have to report it under the mandated law

why-????How do I word this part or was it answered already in my what to do
It's not the interpreter's job to make sure the law is being followed, especially in a situation where there is another professional (the doctor) present. Especially in a minor situation like this - it's absolutely not your role to step in here. The only time there is a gray area is with regard to child abuse - and I'm not talking about a 19 year old knocking up a 16 year old. Even the topic of child abuse is under debate - I believe ethically we should not report it, but many states require legally that we do. You are right about possible conflicts, especially the fact that it is an abortion setting that the interpreter may not agree with. But I would say that coming out of role is the wrong thing to do, and reporting it is definitely not your responsibility.

It's not the interpreter's job to make sure the law is being followed, especially in a situation where there is another professional (the doctor) present. Especially in a minor situation like this - it's absolutely not your role to step in here. The only time there is a gray area is with regard to child abuse - and I'm not talking about a 19 year old knocking up a 16 year old. Even the topic of child abuse is under debate - I believe ethically we should not report it, but many states require legally that we do. You are right about possible conflicts, especially the fact that it is an abortion setting that the interpreter may not agree with. But I would say that coming out of role is the wrong thing to do, and reporting it is definitely not your responsibility.

absolutly...do not report it.
interpret the situation, come home and forget about it....we do it every day.

2nd Scenerio
You are sub interpreting in college class. The professor hands the deaf student a paper, says finish this then starts the lecture. You, the interpreter then proceeds to interpret. All of a sudden, the professor runs to you, and loudly, says...DONT INTERPRET THIS< YOU ARE GIVING HIM THE ANSWERS
Conflict
What do you do
Why

keep interpreting...its the teachers responsibility not to give the answers during the lecture. if he wants the student to take the test and not see the lecture, he needs to send him to a testing center.

3rd Scenerio
You work with a Deaf Professional, and out of work, you are hired to interpret for the same Deaf Professional. There is some down time, and you are sitting until you begin again to interpret. The Deaf collegue/professional asks you to get a cup of coffee for them
Conflict
What do you do
Why

i would say " if you wait till the other person comes back, i'll gladly interpret that for you." thereby clearly getting the message across that i am not their assistant

JMHO (as a client)
I'd hope it's the doctor's responsibility to determine to contact the authorities. The interpreter acts as a means of conveying information between to parties that can't otherwise reasonably converse - not to decide whether the situation they're interpreting is moral, ethical or "fair" - I have to trust you not only to convey my words, but to keep them safe... if I can't I'm constantly questioning if I can "afford" (not meaning $$) to have an interpreter there. I'm sure this puts interpreters in a horrible position sometimes - but if that girl can't trust her interpreter to keep confidential what is said/done ... she might cease looking for medical care all together. Worse ... if the boyfriend, father, mother, cousin whomever beats her ... she might not call an interpreter for any variatey of things from then on - because of what might happen "when she gets home" if the interpreter snitches on her ... I know it's horrible

JMHO

I agree

I agree 100% about not reporting it. In my study group, we analyzed this situation for a long time...finally determining that conflict to be...abortion topic. The interperer must remain impartial, even thou he/she does(nt) agree. If it hits the interpreter on a personal note and cannot remain impartial, then he/she needs to communicate this to all parties.

2nd scenerio when the teacher screams that the terp is giving the answers...
I would continue to interprete. Deaf participant would step in. When all is said and done, then meet with the teacher and clarify role.

3rd Coffee request...
Ya think...UGH, This has happened to me.
I would lie and say DD is closed, HAHAH, no kidding, I would clearly state that I was hired to stay here, Interpret for all. I would not get the coffee.

another scenerio

Ok here is another scenerio

You are hired to terp a play, The agency informs you that the team is hired by an other agency and you will meet the night of the show. You have prepared for 2 weeks. The night of the preformance, you come down with a rash all over you face and arms.
Conflict
What do you do
Why

Ok here is another scenerio

You are hired to terp a play, The agency informs you that the team is hired by an other agency and you will meet the night of the show. You have prepared for 2 weeks. The night of the preformance, you come down with a rash all over you face and arms.
Conflict
What do you do
Why
It's your job to find a replacement.

If you work for an agency, then you should tell your agency to send a replacement.

It's your job to find a replacement.

If you work for an agency, then you should tell your agency to send a replacement.
What if it is an independent (freelance terp)?

Even an agency terp wouldn't have time to prepare for the play.

Maybe the rash wouldn't prevent the terp from performing?

Maybe the rash is stage fright. :hmm:

NIC test

Well if this question or similar is on the test, how would I answer it
Obvious conflict-Performance needs an interpreter
Interpreter
has rash
major distraction,
scare off people
might get worse
Dont know if contagious
Lose job, or future jobs with hiree if call out

Team
Needs a team, plays are usually long
Need experienced with subject
Exhausted doing entire show alone

Deaf
Needs a Terp
Notices uncomortable rash

Performers
Expecting Terps professional

audience
distraction, notices rash

what do I do
I would contact a Dr first
If only a rash, nothing uncomforable, I would cover up as much as possible and do the job
If gets worse, need to call agency that hired me (assuming not freelance) explain the situation and call out (hoping on call person can handle this)
Go to the job, work as much as I can with team, hoping they would take the load.

Why
Have contact for the job
HUM???????????? Which CPC would I use if accepting the job???????????

These are interesting, I'd like to jump in with my ideas if I may. (Not too different from others' in some cases.

1st Scenerio
You are interpreting a Dr. appointment for a 14 year old Deaf girl and her 18 year old Deaf boyfriend. The Dr. tells them that she is pregnant and then proceeds discussing abortion options.

I interpret exactly what all the clients say and don't step out of role at all. I'm pretty certain that in a situation like this any doctor will inform the patient that since she's underage, he's required to tell the parents -- I believe this is the case anyway, I could be wrong -- but even if he doesn't say that, it's not my place to jump in. I agree with the others on this one.

2nd Scenerio
You are sub interpreting in college class. The professor hands the deaf student a paper, says finish this then starts the lecture. You, the interpreter then proceeds to interpret. All of a sudden, the professor runs to you, and loudly, says...DONT INTERPRET THIS< YOU ARE GIVING HIM THE ANSWERS

That teacher sounds a lot like ones I've encountered at work. There's an added problem of not causing the teacher to feel he's lost face in front of the class -- I have inadvertently caused this when an ignorant teacher took an innocent statement very personally -- so careful diplomacy is called for. I would interpret what the teacher said, and then step out of role and say to the teacher quietly and politely (while signing) "It's my responsibility to interpret everything you say." I would then turn to the student and HOPE the student steps up to provide a solution, the easiest of which would be to ask the interpreter to take a break (which I have done), or we could move out of the room altogether while he's lecturing, the way hearing students do in these situations. But since the teacher is obviously so agitated, if neither client steps up with a solution I would end up proposing one myself. I consider that part of my role as mediator, which is part of being an interpreter sometimes. And in my experience 9 times out of 10 the student would just tell me not to bother interpreting.

3rd Scenerio
You work with a Deaf Professional, and out of work, you are hired to interpret for the same Deaf Professional. There is some down time, and you are sitting until you begin again to interpret. The Deaf collegue/professional asks you to get a cup of coffee for them

Ariakkas said it best. I would let the client know that if he wants to find the person who gets coffee, I'll communicate the request. I put on my best "helpful" face for this so the client hopefully understands that I am not being sarcastic or contrary, but am trying to politely draw a boundary. If the person persists in asking me why I can't do it, then I might become a little less helpful and simply say "I'm sorry, but that is not part of my job." If they don't get it the first time, then they don't understand what an interpreter's role is and I don't mind making it a little more clear.

(To be honest, if I'd worked with someone for a long time, long enough to be friends, I might get that cup of coffee if the client were willing to do the same or similar for me. I think when you work with someone enough certain boundaries can be blurred a bit as long as they do not apply to the major tenets of interpreter ethics, like confidentiality and conveying the message as given, etc. I'm thinking of a time when a client was going to get a (free) bottle of water and asked me if I wanted one. I was dying for one. If it had been a first time client I probably wouldn't have said yes, but since it was someone I worked with many times, I saw no reason to say no. I would never ever say this on the NIC however.)

A RID update that future terps might want to know about:

RID Announces Degree Requirement Extension for Hearing Candidates for
Certification
One Year Extension for Associate’s Degree Requirement to June 30, 2009

March 31, 2008 – Alexandria, VA – The Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf
(RID) announced today it will be
extending the deadline requiring an associate’s degree for hearing candidates
for certification from June 30, 2008 to
June 30, 2009. The one year extension will enable the national office to ensure
that the proper procedures are in place
to handle and assess alternative pathway requests. (i.e., equivalent alternative
criteria allowable in lieu of the
educational requirements)

“As we faced the impending deadline for the June 30, 2008 degree requirements,
it became evident that more time was needed for the national office to provide
potential candidates for certification the necessary information and guidance
they need to seek alternative pathways to the degree requirement,” explained
Clay Nettles, RID Executive Director.

Heather Trusty, Director of Certification who recently joined the national
office in November 2007, added, “There are interpreters in the field with
decades of experience who do not have an associate’s or bachelor’s degree. Yet,
these lifetime experiences may be deemed equivalent or beyond equivalent to an
educational degree. We don’t want to penalize these individuals by not having
the alternative pathway clearly defined, which is why we sought, and were
granted, an extension by the board of directors.”

A degree is not required for the written/knowledge portion of the tests.
However, individuals will be required to possess a degree in order to apply and
take any interview/performance sections of any test. This extension will not
impact the future deadlines established in the approved motion. (see below)

History:
At the 2003 RID National Conference, in Chicago, IL, the membership passed a
motion which established the degree requirements.

The following is the text of the motion (C 2003.05) as approved at conference:
RID adopt and publicize the following schedule for when all test candidates must
have a degree from an accredited institution to stand for any RID certificate:

Effective June 30, 2008, candidates for RID certification must have a minimum of
an associate’s degree. Effective June 30, 2012, Deaf candidates must have a
minimum of an associate’s degree.

Effective June 30, 2012, candidates for RID certification must have a minimum of
a bachelor’s degree. Effective June 30, 2016, Deaf candidates must have a
minimum of a bachelor’s degree.

By June 30, 2006, the Certification Council shall establish equivalent
alternative criteria allowable in lieu of the educational requirements such as
one or more of the following: Life experience, years of professional experience,
years of education (credit hours) not totaling a formal degree.

FAQs Pertaining to the Degree Requirements:
Q. I passed the written test and have five years to pass the performance test.
As a candidate for certification, do I still need an associate's degree after
2009 to take the test?
A. After June 30, 2009, you will need to have the minimum of an associate's
degree in order to take a performance test. If you are already certified at that
time, the requirement will only apply to you if you want to take additional
performance tests.

Q. If an interpreter already has NIC certification at the certified or advanced
level before 2009, will he or she still need an associate's degree in order to
retest for a higher level?

A. A candidate must meet all eligibility requirements at the time he or she
takes an exam. Yes, the candidate will still need to have an associate's degree
after June 30, 2009, to sit for additional performance tests.

Q. What is the latest I could take the written test and avoid the bachelor's
degree requirement? Do I have five full years to attain certification?

A. The bachelor's degree requirement goes into effect June 30, 2012. You will
not need a degree to take the written test, but you will need a degree to take a
performance exam. When a candidate takes a performance test, he or she must meet
all eligibility requirements. In other words, after June 30, 2009, in order to
take a performance test, a candidate must still be on his or her five-year
timeline and have the minimum of an associate's degree. After June 30, 2012, a
candidate must still be on his or her five-year timeline and have the minimum of
a bachelor's degree. Certified interpreters will need to meet the educational
requirements in order to take additional performance exams.

Q. I already hold CI and CT certifications. Do I still need to have an
associate's degree in order to take further tests, such as the NIC Interview and
Performance test?

A. Yes, in order to take further performance exams you will need to have the
minimum of an associate's degree after
June 30, 2009.

Q. I am already certified. I heard there would be grandfathering for the degree
requirements. Am I exempt
from the requirements?

A. If you are already certified, you will not need to have a degree in order to
maintain your certification. You will need to have a degree if you want to take
further performance exams.

Q. Is there a substitute to holding a degree?
A. A substitute to holding a degree will be defined and clearly outlined in the
alternative pathways that the national office will be researching and providing
to individuals. Information regarding the alternative pathways will be released
in the near future.

According to this statement, as to my understanding interpreters will need a BA degree? To my knowledge its a major in anything like accounting, graphic design etc...?

Effective June 30, 2012, candidates for RID certification must have a minimum of
a bachelor’s degree.
Effective June 30, 2016, Deaf candidates must have a

According to this statement, as to my understanding interpreters will need a BA degree? To my knowledge its a major in anything like accounting, graphic design etc...?

a bachelor’s degree.
Effective June 30, 2016, Deaf candidates must have a
If you get your certification before that date you don't need to have a BA/BS degree. If you want to test again to get a higher level certification after that date, then you would need the BA/BS degree.

It can be any major.

That's my understanding of it.

Another stupid question: What exactly is a minor degree?

Yes, I'm a dummy. :cry: :hmm: :shock:

If you get your certification before that date you don't need to have a BA/BS degree. If you want to test again to get a higher level certification after that date, then you would need the BA/BS degree.

It can be any major.

That's my understanding of it.

Thanks, that's what I thought after the date. Might not hurt to get a BA :hmm:

Thanks, that's what I thought after the date. Might not hurt to get a BA :hmm:
Or a BS. :)

Or if you go into private practice interpreting (freelance) it might be useful to get an MBA!

An associate's degree is a good start. You can always build from there after getting certified.

Or a BS. :)

Or if you go into private practice interpreting (freelance) it might be useful to get an MBA!

An associate's degree is a good start. You can always build from there after getting certified.

Yes, I already got my associate degree in Sign Language Interpreting. I plan to transfer to the university this fall with a major in English. As I have mentioned before, taking that NIC written test is very rough and tough to beat on my behalf. It will take mighty miracles for me to pass attempting it one more time.

Back