New RID test--is it passable???

Signs of Development is a good course, I took their program for the old written test and when I actually took the test I felt their program was very helpful.

Thanks for the feedback, I hope to take the NIC written test again this fall with a passing score. It will be my 4th time let this be the last :ugh3:

Thanks for the feedback, I hope to take the NIC written test again this fall with a passing score. It will be my 4th time let this be the last :ugh3:

In that case, best wishes and oceans of luck to you, Ocean. There are some people who just have difficulty in a test situation, irregardless of skill level. Hang in there!!!

In that case, best wishes and oceans of luck to you, Ocean. There are some people who just have difficulty in a test situation, irregardless of skill level. Hang in there!!!

Tousi,

:ty: for the encouragment
Oceanblue7

Great Subject!!!

I just found this site---wow! Glad I'm not the only one with apprehension about the NIC performance. I took both the old and new written tests and passed with no trouble. I did not pass my CI or CT. I'm gearing up for NIC performance. I think the best thing I can do is just go into the test like it's a workshop or something, get as much experience out of it as I can with no expectations. That way, no matter how I do, I know the next time what I can work on and what I might expect. I think I just need to take the proverbial "plunge.":fingersx:

I attended an NIC preparation workshop a week before my performance test. I didn't have to take the written because I was already certified (NAD). The only thing you can really prepare for is the interview. For the interview, I suggest you study all the suggested reference materials and join a study group if possible. Also, look at the rubric on RID's website. Make sure you frame your interview answers in the rubric.

As far as the interpreting portion of the test, there isn't a whole lot you can do to become a significantly better interpreter in a few weeks. I went to bed early the night before my test. I got up early the day of my test. I had my coffee. I wore clothes that helped me to feel good about myself. I thought about every compliment I've ever been given by deaf consumers and interpreting colleagues. You really need confidence. You have to go in with the idea that you ARE a good interpreter. You can't walk in wondering if you are a good interpreter and expect your results to give you the answer.

I agree. The interview portion is what seems to be messing a lot of people up.
If you take any kind of preparation course they will probably tell you to frame your answers in 4 parts after you name what the conflict is (They will ask what is the conflict? What do you do? Why?*)

-Name all stakeholders in your decision.
-Name all your possible options.
-Name the best option (what you would do)
-Tell why, and try to include tenets from the CPC.

I have never taken a national certification test before until the NIC so I cannot compare with prior tests, but I did pass.

*If you have the option to watch the practice DVD I highly suggest you do so. It will show you exactly what you're in store for.

I have never taken a national certification test before until the NIC so I cannot compare with prior tests, but I did pass.
Congrats on passing the NIC! I am going to become one of those terps who clings to their older certifications. Just like some terps with CSC never took the CI/CT, I will be one of those terps with CI/CT who never takes the NIC. It sounds too scary!

It's really not scary. The scary part is how it really doesn't seem to matter how good or bad you are, they draw your pass/fail out of a hat.

They need to get their shit together. That's all I'll say on that.

It's really not scary. The scary part is how it really doesn't seem to matter how good or bad you are, they draw your pass/fail out of a hat.

They need to get their shit together. That's all I'll say on that.

Just wondering what led you to that conclusion, because the results I'm seeing from interpreters who are failing or passing at a particular level (certified, advanced, master) seem to be appropriate. It's also worth noting that wait times have significantly increased (6 - 9 months) and it doesn't take that long to pull something out of a hat.

Good grief, they're back up to 6-9 months? I thought the NIC was supposed to take away the long waiting times. I waited 10 months for my CT and 4 months for my CI, and considering I got raises after passing each of them, it was definitely hurtful for it to take so long. I was really hoping the NIC wouldn't be as bad.

Any advice for me WOW from the sounds of it you did everything you could. What went wrong, what was hard about it? I would appreciate any and all feedback about the written test. I plan on taking it as early as next month. Thanks!

Give me an update how did you do on the NIC written test. I have no advice if I can't pass this test :(

Aw man, I have until the end of this year if I'm ever going to get my CI. With those wait times I should get on it, I suppose.

No worry. Work for us. We have several hospital, legal, and educational subcontracts that do not require certification.

RID is a waste of your time.

You can sign and translate, its time you put that to work for you and not let RID stand in your way.

Richard

Reminds me of an interpreter joke.....How many interpreters does it take to change a light bulb? 25. One to do it and 24 to sit back and say, " I would do it differently."

No worry. Work for us. We have several hospital, legal, and educational subcontracts that do not require certification.RID is a waste of your time.

You can sign and translate, its time you put that to work for you and not let RID stand in your way.

Richard

That's scary.

Back