New, Recently hard-of-hearing. Hi all!

Madseason

Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I am a 26 year old graduate student in California. I have been hearing most of my life but due to MS, I started getting progressive hearing loss. Recently things got a lot worse when I had a relapse. I grew up knowing a deaf family, so I am a little bit familiar with deaf culture and when I started having hearing loss years ago, I started learning ASL and loved it. Now I am totally committed to learning ASL. It's a beautiful language and I'm finding it to be a great challenge. It's fun teaching my family ASL too.

I'm hoping to learn more about deaf culture and make some new friends! I hope everyone is having a great week!

Hi everyone!
I am a 26 year old graduate student in California. I have been hearing most of my life but due to MS, I started getting progressive hearing loss. Recently things got a lot worse when I had a relapse. I grew up knowing a deaf family, so I am a little bit familiar with deaf culture and when I started having hearing loss years ago, I started learning ASL and loved it. Now I am totally committed to learning ASL. It's a beautiful language and I'm finding it to be a great challenge. It's fun teaching my family ASL too.

I'm hoping to learn more about deaf culture and make some new friends! I hope everyone is having a

:wave:Welcome from another Californian! I live near Sacramento. Lost all my hearing overnight 8 months ago. I also have Dystonia so I can somewhat relate. I however did not have the chance fo learn ASL before I went deaf and am finding it near impossible to learn at this stage. Maybe its my short term memory problems. I just can't get a grasp on it all and I do not know anyone else who is deaf that is around me. Welcome to this site. I have gained so much knowledge from some amazing people here, good luck.

Thank you for the responses!
Angel, I am in San Francisco! My ASL is 'conversational' but I am working really hard on getting better at it. I don't have any one-on-one practice time so I have to just hope I am doing things right! My hearing went from 'ok' to 'bad' pretty much overnight too. It was a shock but I am adjusting. This site looks great, I look forward to looking around more!

Thank you for the responses!
Angel, I am in San Francisco! My ASL is 'conversational' but I am working really hard on getting better at it. I don't have any one-on-one practice time so I have to just hope I am doing things right! My hearing went from 'ok' to 'bad' pretty much overnight too. It was a shock but I am adjusting. This site looks great, I look forward to looking around more!

It gets quiet on this site around this time. A lot of AD members are in a different time zone. If you ever want to chat just let me know. Have fun:wave:

if you guys want a practice buddy let me know :) I'm not in your time zone but I'm up late at night (for me!) and would love to work on my ASL!

if you guys want a practice buddy let me know :) I'm not in your time zone but I'm up late at night (for me!) and would love to work on my ASL!

Thanks for the amazing offer. However I only know about 20 words plus my alphabet. I would not be able to keep up with you. Good luck.

:wave: I'm up cuz one of my dogs is sick...welcome Madseason-

I started losing my hearing a few years back. I'm 40, previously familiar with Deaf culture to a degree due to having worked in a recreational program with Deaf students and staff during college summers. Learned some ASL at that time. My husband is deaf<not Deaf>. Over the last few years I've been involved locally with some Deaf events through Deaf friends.
I was born a few months premature and my mother insists docs told her I had missing ear bones. I spoke very late.

It's so great to meet you all! I would love to practice my ASL with someone some time- I'm on the west coast so time might be tricky, but any one-on-one practice would be great! I tried taking a class at the community college but the teacher spoke all the lessons (didn't write on the board) and then showed a sign! I had NO CLUE what the sign meant and she kept putting me on the spot- like being deaf or HOH meant I could automatically tell what she meant or read lips. I swear I thought the sign for 'cold' meant 'scared' and...I was really just all over the place.

So, yes, if anyone want's to practice, let me know and we'll figure something out!

There is a Deaf owned pizza restaurant in San Francisco that recently opened. I don't know if you know about that, but you should go there and meet people.

There is a Deaf owned pizza restaurant in San Francisco that recently opened. I don't know if you know about that, but you should go there and meet people.

what is the name of restaurant? in case i visit their place and know how they work together in restaurant.. got website of the restaurant?

Back