New processor from AB

Oh yeah, I was diagnosed with otosclerosis years and years and years ago. I have no idea if it could have caused too much damage to the cochlea to get implanted or not. But I think it's a possibility. I'm not over worried or pessimistic about it, but I want to be mentally prepared for the disappointment, ya know. Expectation is the source of all heart ache.

Interesting. yeah. I am learning about deaf issue everyday.

Oh yeah, I was diagnosed with otosclerosis years and years and years ago. I have no idea if it could have caused too much damage to the cochlea to get implanted or not. But I think it's a possibility. I'm not over worried or pessimistic about it, but I want to be mentally prepared for the disappointment, ya know. Expectation is the source of all heart ache.

Cochlear has a special split array designed for exactly your issue, so there is that possibility. I am not sure on AB, but they may be coming with one. Either way, there is a good chance if one won't be suitable for you, the other will.

I would ask around for people who share your issues who have been implanted! They may be able to help you get an idea of what to expect.

Cochlear has a special split array designed for exactly your issue, so there is that possibility. I am not sure on AB, but they may be coming with one. Either way, there is a good chance if one won't be suitable for you, the other will.

I would ask around for people who share your issues who have been implanted! They may be able to help you get an idea of what to expect.

Well the ENT I talked to last thought it might be a possible for me, but he's not an expert. So we'll see. Thing is Im not a typical otosclerosis case, pretty rare, but maybe Id find someone. See people usually just need to get a stapeds replacement, they just have bone conduction loss. I have cochlear otosclerosis too, which caused nerve damage. I just don't know HOW it caused nerve damage, I just know it hardens and reforms the bones. So I imagine it could have damaged the structure of the cochlea, I have no idea. Maybe it's fine. Think Ill dig around on google tonight after work.

I remember reading that someone else had otosclerosis but the MRI or CT showed that the cochlea on the inside was ok so that she was ok to go ahead with the CI op

well, I found this, so that's good news. I just hope I could still get an AB, because using it with my naida would be sweet. I'm just wondering about where it says Patients with the best preoperative hearing levels are most likely to benefit. That sounds like maybe I should do my right ear, my better ear, intsead of my left. My left is profound to response, I barely get any speech out of my hearing aid for that ear. I wanted to implant that one though so I could still use my ha in my right. blah, we shall see, makes me feel a little more comfy about it though :D

Cochlear Implantation

Cochlear implants are used successfully in patients with otosclerosis. Patients with the best preoperative hearing levels are most likely to benefit. Cochlear implants are more difficult to position in otosclerosis due to sclerosis of the inner ear. Patients may also experience facial nerve stimulation by the cochlear implant, more common in patients with severe disease. Facial nerve stimulation requires revision surgery or calibration of the implant in order to relieve this side effect (Calmels et al 2007, Carlson et al 2011, Dumon 2007, Marshall et al 2005, Mosnier et al 2007, Psillas et al 2007, Quaranta et al 2005, Rama-Lopez et al 2006, Rotteveel et al 2004, Sainz et al 2007, Venail et al 2007). Cochlear implantation has been performed as initial treatment and following stapedectomy with good results.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17685047

I found this one too, this really makes me feel better. My otosclerosis is very advanced, I pretty much don't have any hearing left to lose, most people don't go completely deaf with it and I'm getting close. Really really close. More drilling than normal may be necessary, that's a bummer. I'll want them to get those suckers in as deep as they can. Facial nerve stimulation is apparently an issue with implants and otosc......AWESOME. I'll probably get that, because I'm just that lucky. lol

Ambrosia, the Audi told me today my right (better) ear would be implanted. My left (dead) ear has never been aided other than with a CROS. So it hasn't heard anything other than tinnitus for 16 years. I may be able to get it implanted down the line but not as the first one. Once I get my CI I will put my Naida on my left ear so that I have a trial in order to qualify or the CI in that ear. Still would be up to the surgeon in the end!

Ambrosia, the Audi told me today my right (better) ear would be implanted. My left (dead) ear has never been aided other than with a CROS. So it hasn't heard anything other than tinnitus for 16 years. I may be able to get it implanted down the line but not as the first one. Once I get my CI I will put my Naida on my left ear so that I have a trial in order to qualify or the CI in that ear. Still would be up to the surgeon in the end!

ugh, I know the nerve isn't dead for my left ear, because I do get sound with it, it's just everybody sounds like mickey mouse and they're really far away. I wanted to do the bad one because.....what if it didn't work? If I do my good one and it doesn't work......I'd be left trying to hear with that bad ear. Although, it sounds like it was successful in cases of otosclerosis so maybe I just worry over nothing. Plus I figured if I could still use my aid in my right ear while me left is learning to hear with a CI, I'd still be able to understand people....ja know what I'm saying ;)

oh well, guess I'll just have to wait a little longer and see what the docs say!

Super psyched for you!!!!! Good news for you today :D saweeet!

Yeah their argument is you have the best chances for success when you implant your better ear. So they don't want to chance wasting time, money, and surgery on the bad ear, KWIM? If you're successful you'd be able to get the bad one implanted later on!

Well Done. At least you can wear your Naida on your other ear to help :)

ugh, I know the nerve isn't dead for my left ear, because I do get sound with it, it's just everybody sounds like mickey mouse and they're really far away. I wanted to do the bad one because.....what if it didn't work? If I do my good one and it doesn't work......I'd be left trying to hear with that bad ear. Although, it sounds like it was successful in cases of otosclerosis so maybe I just worry over nothing. Plus I figured if I could still use my aid in my right ear while me left is learning to hear with a CI, I'd still be able to understand people....ja know what I'm saying ;)

oh well, guess I'll just have to wait a little longer and see what the docs say!

Super psyched for you!!!!! Good news for you today :D saweeet!

Cdmeggers has I think has otosclerosis from meningitis and as she wore her old HA in her dead ear for a while before her op, they implanted her bad ear.

Her scan didn't show much stuff in her cochlear but when they opened up her, found a lot more otosclerosis, I think that's the name of the stuf in her cochlear.

Cdmeggers has I think has otosclerosis from meningitis and as she wore her old HA in her dead ear for a while before her op, they implanted her bad ear.

Her scan didn't show much stuff in her cochlear but when they opened up her, found a lot more otosclerosis, I think that's the name of the stuf in her cochlear.

As in it might well vary person to person :)

oh thanks, that's good news. I'm pretty much putting the cart before the horse anyway, I'll have to see what the docs think. That dead ear might be a little harder to implant too since the otosclerosis effected it even more.

wasn't otosclerosis, just ossification.

Anyone know how a FM receiver would fit onto the new processor?

Will the per spice Naidas be able to link up as the processor has UltraZoom which pure spice doesn't have and do you have to have the Naida IX as well as the processor also has Duophone and ZoomControl which now needs 2 instruments to work.

I don't think anyone knows yet, NaidaUP. We just have to wait for it to be released.

AB hasn't shared any more information about any of this, as the FDA approval is still pending. I was wondering about the Direct Connect capabilities with the new processor. Right now, with the Harmony, you have to change out ear hooks if you want to use Direct Connect or the Phonak MLx FM receiver. Don't know if it'll be a same deal for the new processor, or if they changed that.

I was thinking, maybe they want you to use the compilot as a way of getting the FM signal but I'm only guessing. I personally would hate to have to use the compilot to use the FM.

I've decided that I'm going to go for AB when I can finally get implanted as I will only be able to get 1 CI so love the fact it can link upto the HA :)

Anyone know how a FM receiver would fit onto the new processor?

Will the per spice Naidas be able to link up as the processor has UltraZoom which pure spice doesn't have and do you have to have the Naida IX as well as the processor also has Duophone and ZoomControl which now needs 2 instruments to work.

No one can really tell you just yet either due to lack of available details or non-disclosure agreements needing to be respected. I'm not sure how much I can say other than you can have a pretty good educated guess by referring to how the newer Naida's handle it. That includes how FM receivers are connected..... so no awkward abutment ala Cochear Americas.

The business relationship between the two companies essentially translates into that Phonak now has a CI Processor as part of it's line-up. So you can assume that whatever applies to a Naida will apply to the new processor.

Back