New Phonak Spice

plasticdinosaur

Reaction score
I just got my new aids! Phonak Cassia MicroPs. Purple and all. Even though I have a moderate/moderately-severe loss, they still have a slim tube on them and it seems to work alright, but I've never had one before.

And they're so small! That's my thumb in the one pic, they're tiny for power aids. :D

w7dfo2.jpg

2rc6dc1.jpg

Those are so cool! I was always put off the SPICE generation because my favourite colours (Savannah and Zebra) are now restricted to only half of the body, but now I am tempted cos the purple looks great.

I've never seen a thin tube on moulds before either, it's always been a direct opposite here, you have thin tubes OR you have earmoulds. I will certainly ask about that as I spend all day shoving the powerdomes back down my ears but can't wear standard tubing.

Last edited:
Those are so cool! I was always put off the SPICE generation because my favourite colours (Savannah and Zebra) are now restricted to only half of the body, but now I am tempted cos the purple looks great.

I've never seen a thin tube on moulds before either, it's always been a direct opposite here, you have thin tubes OR you have earmoulds. I will certainly ask about that as I spend all day shoving the powerdomes back down my ears but can't wear standard tubing.

I was super suspicious when she pulled them out of the box and unscrewed the hooks. Like, "If you're expecting me to go open fit and ordered me wrong, I'm going to have some not nice things to say to you." But nope! It was surprising. it does suck about the colors though! I wanted zebra really badly, but when I saw them on spice I was less then excited. Plus, if you were M or below, the new gen doesn't have telecoil until you hit the P size.

Go for it if you want, they're pretty nice. :D

Yeah, noticing more and more that mild to moderate hearing aids don't have Tcoils these days. I guess part of it is to do with the open fittings, an open dome lets the outside noise in anyway so Tcoil isn't going to help isolate it to only what the person on the loop/phone is saying, but it's quite odd not to have them on the next model up. I start to have problems because I need the features of the more powerful hearing aids but the shape of my loss interferes with many of the power fittings. It woudl solve so many of my problems to get the Naida but my HF hearing is "too good" even though it's all really distorted. I can hear beeps of puretone at 8KHz but it's all weird, not like a noise at all just more of a sensation in the ear that tickles, and 8kHz sounds lower than 2kHz, so in terms of actual speech it doesn't work! Am trying to get someone who will work with me on more than just the numbers on the audiogram and more in terms of what practical information I can hear and understand. HF is all crash, bang, wallop and shock sounds but nothing useful. I can hear (but again not in an audible way but in a pain in the ear way) knives and forks hitting plates, but I can't hear smoke alarms!

they look pretty on you!!!
BTW, I have a picture of my new hearing aid in my hearing aid album if you wanna go take a look

my hearing aid goes into T-coil mode when I have the bluetooth on

I just went and looked-really cool! The only thing I've found myself not liking about these is that the battery door is really flimsy, I feel like I'm going to break it every time I open it.

I guess part of it is to do with the open fittings, an open dome lets the outside noise in anyway
My voc rehab person wrote the papers up so that I could have earmolds. The audi said that my hearing loss justified just the dome, but since my loss is sort of between the molds/dome range, she did the molds.

My voc rehab person wrote the papers up so that I could have earmolds. The audi said that my hearing loss justified just the dome, but since my loss is sort of between the molds/dome range, she did the molds.

Really all you have to do is whine enough. I have friend whose audi made her try the domes, and she frowned and complained and whined when she tried them on on a model pair, so they got her mold. I have really sensitive ear canals, just getting impressions for molds done makes me cough and gag and fidget like I'm 2 and not almost 20, so the domes were never even suggested to me, don't know if they would fit my loss or not.

No-- not whining, actually happy, because I probably don't have the feedback problems I would have had. :cool2:

Can I ask how you are finding these now? Did you do a trial with them before or are you still in a trial now? What did you change from and would you say these ones are a little better or quite a lot better? I am seriously considering a trial with the Solana SPs but it's more money than I am really sure I can budget for so they need to be absoutely amazing, not just a little better. Don't want to ask too many questions cos then it feels like 20 questions, but really interested to know how you are settling in with them.

Can I ask how you are finding these now? Did you do a trial with them before or are you still in a trial now? What did you change from and would you say these ones are a little better or quite a lot better? I am seriously considering a trial with the Solana SPs but it's more money than I am really sure I can budget for so they need to be absoutely amazing, not just a little better. Don't want to ask too many questions cos then it feels like 20 questions, but really interested to know how you are settling in with them.

I have the Cassias, which are one level below the Solanas as that's all my VocRehab would pay for, but they're pretty good honestly for entry level aids. I've been having a bit of trouble with a strange high pitched echo in one, but I have a reverse slope loss and hear high tones at an almost normal volume, and I've made in appointment about it. Speech in noise is OK. But I've got entry level, so it'll be even better on the Solanas I bet. And they're so small. The only thing I don't like on them is that you have to be gentle with the battery door. In the power aid the battery life is pretty darn good! I'd suggest speech in noise as one of your programs because even though Soundflow(auto) does good, it's nice to have it there for other things, I like to use mine in class when it's quiet and I can hear papers rustling behind me, turn on speech and noise and that goes away! The thin tubes are nice too, you can get them on a regular mold or in open fit or with domes. Phonak Cassia - Fitting | Phonak - life is on I'm still in my trail now, but I'm keeping them.

I just got the Solana Micro M (in the same color too). Might I ask how helpful the volume button is? I asked for this to be included in mine, however my audiologist assured me that the volume can also be adjusted by the programs button. Now mine don't have the up and down volume button, and only have the programs button. Pardon me if I sound confusing or am using the wrong terms as I am new to all of this. I'm interested to hear your input as to whether or not the volume control button (the up/down one) is something which I should look into. Thanks :)

I just got the Solana Micro M (in the same color too). Might I ask how helpful the volume button is? I asked for this to be included in mine, however my audiologist assured me that the volume can also be adjusted by the programs button. Now mine don't have the up and down volume button, and only have the programs button. Pardon me if I sound confusing or am using the wrong terms as I am new to all of this. I'm interested to hear your input as to whether or not the volume control button (the up/down one) is something which I should look into. Thanks :)

I love love love the volume button! It's easy to use, and I can still have access to programs. Because I have a moderate/moderately-severe reverse slope loss, music is really difficult for me. By the time the lows were loud enough, the highs were blown out and painful, so having a T-coil program on and being able to listen to music that way is awesome! Plus, the microMs from what I understand, do not have T-coil. It's so useful! I personally think that it is something to look into, I love both the volume switch and being able to actually use my cell phone and Ipod, plus, depending on what version you have (cassia, solana, ambra) you only get 3,4, or 5 programs, so that's not much volume control really. It's nice to be able to go up and down when I want.

Yeah, noticing more and more that mild to moderate hearing aids don't have Tcoils these days. I guess part of it is to do with the open fittings, an open dome lets the outside noise in anyway so Tcoil isn't going to help isolate it to only what the person on the loop/phone is saying, but it's quite odd not to have them on the next model up.

It's interesting that HAs for mild/moderate loss do not have t-coils. I can't imagine having a HA that doesn't have it, I use it all the time for hearing TV, in church etc. Even my first HA in 1971 had a t-coil.

I hope that as a knock on effect of this it doesn't mean that loop systems will no longer be provided in churches etc., especially as such places always seem to cater for the majority market, i.e. old people with mild/moderate loss!

It's interesting that HAs for mild/moderate loss do not have t-coils. I can't imagine having a HA that doesn't have it, I use it all the time for hearing TV, in church etc. Even my first HA in 1971 had a t-coil.

I hope that as a knock on effect of this it doesn't mean that loop systems will no longer be provided in churches etc., especially as such places always seem to cater for the majority market, i.e. old people with mild/moderate loss!

I used to use Tcoil regularly until I discovered Direct Audio Input and since then my Tcoil has been retired. I still have one available on some of my hearing aids (I keep all my old ones!!) but tbh I rarely find them useful.

There is an extra dimension for me, as I am a wheelchair user I am lower down than other people and when people buy these cheap little counter loop systems the range is only 1m (3 feet) so where I am down there I am usually outside the field anyway. Many of them don't work, aren't switched on, nobody knows how to switch it on, the RNID has a special campaign where you hand people cards to tell them their loop doesn't work and I've gone through packets and packets of them! People don't actually understand the technology and how it works, some don't realise you have to charge the battery or anything, they have been sent a portable loop from head office and they think that if they stick it on the counter in their premises it will "help people with hearing aids" somehow... by osmosis? I don't know, but they don't know what it does.

Other places have working loops but nobody listens to them so they don't know they also have electrical interference which renders them unusable. All taxis in my city have a loop system and all taxis have to be the same type of car. That type of vehicle also emits electrical interference on the loop so you can only use it if the engine is turned off - slightly pointless loop! But again, nobody knows this is the case cos they aren't actually trying to help, they are trying to do their duty under applicable legislation and go phew, that's that one ticked off the list.

I imagine it's better in churches because they have an active interest in you continuing to participate, hear the service, etc. but in most public buildings here I just find the loops don't do what they are supposed to do.

I do hope they don't stop installing loops, though, I know some people do like them and as soon as they become "the dark ages" nobody will install them, but streamers so far are brand-specific. If they could all put their heads together and agree on a bandwidth and technology for connecting to an open streaming signal in addition to each person's private streaming signal that would be better for everyone.

I imagine it's better in churches because they have an active interest in you continuing to participate, hear the service, etc. but in most public buildings here I just find the loops don't do what they are supposed to do.

Rose, I agree that most loop systems in shops, railway stations etc. are pretty pathetic. I've tried to use them on occasions and found them very unsatisfactory. It's usually easier just to try and lipread people. They are often set at too low a volume for me to hear them, perhaps another consequence of the majority market catering for those with a lesser hearing loss, or they are not switched on and the staff don't know how to operate them.

However the one in the church I attend is excellent and I would really miss it if it were not there. I also have one at home on my TV which is excellent, I can set it to a volume that I can actually hear, so I'm hoping I can still replace it when it breaks down.

they look pretty on you!!!
BTW, I have a picture of my new hearing aid in my hearing aid album if you wanna go take a look

my hearing aid goes into T-coil mode when I have the bluetooth on

how are you useing a bluetooth. doesnt it fit in the ear. and the aide a mold also what is T-coil?

how are you useing a bluetooth. doesnt it fit in the ear. and the aide a mold also what is T-coil?

Sarfarigirl's hearing aids are made to be compatible with bluetooth devices, so the aid its self is like a headset. A T-coil is a small coil in the hearing aid that picks up electrical signals sent from things that are made to talk to it, and plays them through your aid, like headphones made for T-coils and loop systems.

Back