NEW nucleus 5

They talk of a new internal processor as well. Does it have more than 22 electrodes? Are the electrodes different?

Seems the electrodes just might stay the same, only difference with the new internal implant is that's thinner. That was my impression when I went through the PDF anyway.

i dont like the nucleus 5 system, the processor look weird with silver strip on back and the internal implant metal housing is square i have slight uncomfortable on the edges part of my implant, and its semicircle shape imagine with square housing ouch! I hope thats not what im getting when its time for me to get 2nd implant (after marrying and get under my fiance insurance and go to different state for different surgeon to implant me) they should've makes edges tapered or change shape to round shape and take as much width in metal housing to reasonable thinness instead cram it all into smallest space and have angular edges and for processor, change coil back to normal not huge bulky coil, remove silver strip and keep led screen on make it thinner possible and have 24 hours battery life (disposable and rechargeable) we dont need 5 days if that will reduce weight/size of processor if i have to i will wait for nucleus 6 system to come out im not getting that 5 system upgrade when it come out

if I was under consideration for a 2nd CI I'd definitely push for the new nucleus.I never got used to freedom weight , have earaches most of the time.

My Audi said it'll be out by the time I get mine and I'm awaiting the schedule for my surgery right now. So this will likely be out with in the next few months. The smaller size was my deciding factor in choosing it over AB because I have small ears.

My understanding when I mention this to surgeon two weeks ago it was my understating that one new thing about the array is a new insertion tool to make it a bit easier for the surgeon with less risk. The whole internal implant is actually larger that the freedom with half the thickness. The internal implant
will have 2 ½ times more impact resistance of the freedom internal implant. Being thinner the surgeon will spend less time milling out the skull for the implant. Durability also seems to me the theme as I see it with the new Nucleus.

The external processor has a partial metal shell with plastic sides. The reason for the metal shell is to hopefully increase the durability since I like some others have problems with the controllers cracking. I have already replaced my controller four times and it is not even three years yet. The new external processor is the same size has the freedom but with half the thickness. Cochlear could do this with two batteries mounted sideways to make it thinner. The external processor will have buttons but no display. Too many people had complain that the display is too small and hard to read in the dark. There is a display option on the new remote that is much larger for those that would like a display but it would have to be on the remote.

Seems the electrodes just might stay the same, only difference with the new internal implant is that's thinner. That was my impression when I went through the PDF anyway.

I like the idea of more durable externals. I have had 3 cracked controllers in 2 years. I also like the fact it is thinner. If a remote is available for the processor, even better.

The 5 is still in testing in CONUS and doesn't have FDA approval as of 2 weeks ago. What I heard two weeks ago was that clinical testing could last until the end of the year. Once the testing is complete all findings will be presented to FDA for approval. Only way to get it in CONUS is to be part of the trial or purchase it OCONUS

It is already been shown in UK, I'v heard from someone that have actually seen it and will be implanted with the internal if they choose cochlear but the external is not being given out yet

thats because you looked at pdf file too late, when i looked at it it had much more pages including picture of processor, remote, and remote pic for bilateral. right now a lot of pages are missing hmph

I has the privelage of handling one and tried them on last weds during my SLT session.... all i can say is WOW!!... very light and similar to Med-el but much more Space age thing. the remote is very similar to the Latest ipod nano. the processor it self have no LCD screen. They are rehargeable batteries of 24 and 31 i think, I don't think there would be disposables. My SLT said this processor is made of Titanium hence better body than freedom due to cracking at the controller.
Really the Nucleus 5 is a redesign of the freedom because of on going problems with it. I had 4 contollers and 3 processors replaced and i am not even one year yet. I am hoping for upgrade very soooooon (in my dreams perhaps!)
It got full body coloured processor covers, no mic covers.
The internal implant is same as freedom but the body is squarer and flatter. I compared it with mine... realised that my implant does stick out alot.

I will try and get my SLT to bring it out again next weds and take pics of it.. can't promise anything but will do my best.

Here it is.

Nuclear-5-1.jpg

The remote looks a lot like a phone. But I'd imagine the good size screen will be nice for some.

It does seem to be smaller. I don't have one yet so I can't compare too much. But it does seem thinner.

Last edited:
It's about 2/3rd of the size of freedom and is much thinner. As no disposable batteries and LCD... they said it saved alot on battery life if no LCD and using recargeables are kinder on evnvironment as they are 24 and 30 hours battery... I thought this was better than 14 hours which I cannot survive on if at sea (i am Often away up to 10 days to 2 weeks) I would be happier to have 30 hour battery and take couple of fully charged up batteries. I am bit wary of the remote but as it "looks" like an Ipod I probably be quite carefuL with it. I liked the fact it got the LCD screen on it which would be easier to identify the problem, programming etc.

I try my best on weds for some pics and compare with my Freedom.

I emailed my Audi about this. I was wondering when the new 5 will be out and if it was with in my grasp to chose it. I basically wanted to know if I should wait until it's out or get the surgery as soon as they can schedule me in for it. This is what she had to say:

If you were to select the Cochlear Nucleus device and have your surgery in the next few months, you would start with their current product (Freedom) and get upgraded to the new device when it comes out. So if you hold off on surgery, you would lose out on keeping the Freedom as a back-up device for free and only receive the new device. Yes, the new device is something within your grasp - but if you wait, you will not have the back-up device, too.

So this means that I'll first get the Freedom and I'll be able to get this new one when it comes out and also keep my freedom. That's a pretty cool deal.

Ron

Back