New member;parent of a deaf child

1Artorius

Reaction score
HI
I am the mom of a 4 yr old deaf son. he also has Down Syndrome. he is in a total communication class where he is learning and loving sign language. We live in central florida. I am learning sign language too, at the comm college and plan on going as far as I can. My goal is to be a better mom for my son and to help him gain the tools he needs to communicate.
The Deaf people i have met so far have been so wonderful! I would like to learn all I can. I am going to the silent weekend in Tampa next month and can hardly wait!
Judy

G'day 1Atorius

Welcome to AD. I hope you'll find this a friendly and informative place
Cheers! :wave:

:dance2: Welcome to AD.. and enjoy your stay..

I just want to applause you for being great mother to your son, which it takes alot of effort your time spend.. myself am mother of 6 kids, its impossible but alot of patiences and love.. see you around on this and enjoy your vacation! :)

1Artorius said:
I am learning sign language too, at the comm college and plan on going as far as I can. My goal is to be a better mom for my son and to help him gain the tools he needs to communicate. Judy

Judy,

Welcome to AD. Good luck learning ASL. It takes time, patience, practice, and spending as much time as you can with the Deaf. I love your attitude. Too many parents won't try to learn Sign and it affects their relationship with Deaf/HoH children.

Welcome AD!

Welcome to AD Judy!
I live in Orange County CA, never been married, and I have no kids.
We have some books, vhs and dvds on our website that you can use to teach your son ASL.
www.deafadvocacy.org
Good luck!
Keep Smiling!!
Margie
Dir.of Communication Services,
OCDAC

thank you for your warm welcome!

I have been perusing the boards and there are soooo many interesting forums!
thank you for your support!
Judy

Hello &
14.gif

Way to go Mom

Hello 1Artorius, I am a CODA myself, both my parent's are deaf, and grew up in a wonderful deaf community which I am still actively involved in. I have 2 hearing daughters ages 25 and 20.
For the last 2 and one half years we have been fostering a deaf boy, his name is Tiger, his is 8 years old. He has ADHD, and PTSD. He came from a drug abusive home.
We want very much to adopt him and we hope on the next court date, June 29th, the parental rights will be terminated.
Your son sounds like an angel. With a generous and loving home as your's, he is going to have a very wonderful future. All the best to you and good luck with your sign language classes!!!!

CODAchild

thanks for the warm welcomes

CODAchild, I hope you are able to adopt Tiger. Let me know what happens!

:ty: Hello 1Artorius!!! Thank you so much, and I will definitely let you know how everything goes. My prayers are with you and your son, he's very lucky to have a Mom like you who is so caring!!! Thanks for being so nice!! Have a good one!! :wiggle: :ily:

Back