New idea/solution for hearing impaired/deaf people to communicate with hearing world

DeafUK

Reaction score
As a profoundly deaf person who daily interacts with hearing people. The technology around today should be possible to develop this idea.

TOQ0bqm.jpg

If not, why hasn't it yet?

It would make life and communicating much easier with people.

I approve. Shall we make that a reality?

Yeah, hopefully!

Interesting replies received from Reddit (/r/deaf) on this topic. This is a response from user Jahkral

'Voice recognition software just isn't developed enough. Its very hard to make software that covers the wide range of speech patterns - accents, dialects, slurs, speech impediments, changes in pitch/tone due to excitement, mumbling, etc. Add that onto difficulties sorting background noise and pseudovoices (noises from environment that might sound close enough to a voice to trigger the reading) from talking... the tech is a bit off. Maybe 10 years, maybe not.'

Yeah, hopefully!

Interesting replies received from Reddit (/r/deaf) on this topic. This is a response from user Jahkral

'Voice recognition software just isn't developed enough. Its very hard to make software that covers the wide range of speech patterns - accents, dialects, slurs, speech impediments, changes in pitch/tone due to excitement, mumbling, etc. Add that onto difficulties sorting background noise and pseudovoices (noises from environment that might sound close enough to a voice to trigger the reading) from talking... the tech is a bit off. Maybe 10 years, maybe not.'

I don't know about 10 years..... 5 maybe. As for voice recognition, I'd add a tiny microphone to the glasses, and maybe add the name of the person or something, so as soon that person speaks, it recognizes the person right off the bat, like if your Mom or Dad called you on the phone, you'd be able to use that technology to program the voice recognition software to make things go easier.

Haha, the company I work at is actually developing this currently.

Google Glass's speech recognition capabilities are quite advanced. The software we're developing for the glass actually goes a step further and modulates the pitch, allowing different voices to show up in different subtitle colors.

Google Glass's speech recognition capabilities are quite advanced. The software we're developing for the glass actually goes a step further and modulates the pitch, allowing different voices to show up in different subtitle colors.

Perfect. I like that. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

Wow, great to hear. I too would be very interested to hear how it develops. Would it be possible to look at the idea of how it could benefit hard of hearing/deaf people? I can imagine there would be a definite demand and future for this device/idea if it could be developed to also help hard of hearing/deaf people.

Wow, great to hear. I too would be very interested to hear how it develops. Would it be possible to look at the idea of how it could benefit hard of hearing/deaf people? I can imagine there would be a definite demand and future for this device/idea if it could be developed to also help hard of hearing/deaf people.

There totally would be-- it would be the future of Deaf/HoH communication with the hearing world.

My boyfriend is an IP lawyer and he said one of his clients has something. He interviewed me a little to write the patent about what I would find helpful. I don't know much about the invention but it's mostly used to translate voice to text in real time, not with a gap like Dragon. Might still be 5 years out, knowing how slow patents are ;)

My boyfriend is an IP lawyer and he said one of his clients has something. He interviewed me a little to write the patent about what I would find helpful. I don't know much about the invention but it's mostly used to translate voice to text in real time, not with a gap like Dragon. Might still be 5 years out, knowing how slow patents are ;)

That's why I said 5 years... the legal paperwork and the patent process is at a snail's pace.

Received a reply from Google Glass about the idea. It's a start at least!

'Thanks for your suggestion. We agree that this would be a great feature or Glassware to have as we're always working towards making Glass more accessible for others.'

As a profoundly deaf person who daily interacts with hearing people. The technology around today should be possible to develop this idea.

TOQ0bqm.jpg

If not, why hasn't it yet?

It would make life and communicating much easier with people.

One question: Wouldn't it pose the same risks as walking while texting? In some countries, walking while texting is banned due to end.

One question: Wouldn't it pose the same risks as walking while texting? In some countries, walking while texting is banned due to end.

I guess that would save a lot of money for those who pay per text plan on their phones.

Good question. I wouldn't think so, I imagined the glasses only taking up a portion of the frame at the bottom so it wouldn't disrupt the person's vision.

Back