New "Hybrid" Cochlear Implant

lynndelaga

Reaction score
Hi guys!

My parents were sweet and understanding enough to save me an article from the Los Angeles Times, dated Monday, December 11, 2006. It is entitled, "A more sound solution." Apparently, there is "an experimental 'hybrid' device [that] may give many with partial hearing loss the extra boost they need. It's a new varation on the cochlear implant." It is aimed for those who aren't profoundly hard of hearing, but rather, those who have the "ski-slope" sensori-neural hearing loss (those who cannot hear high pitched sounds; lack understanding in CLARIFICATION). The FDA is still trying to get this approved, but according to the study and article, it's getting good ratings in that of the 80 patients tested in 1999, 96% of them had an improved hearing of 75%improvement (after hybrid CI placement) over their previous hearing tests.

Basically, I want anyone's opinion here. I, myself, am considering doing this "hybrid" CI, but only after FDA approval (they're thinking maybe some time next year, they'll get the approval). What are your thoughts on this, and is this something I should consider (I have that "ski-slope" hearing loss as mentioned before)?

those who cannot hear high pitched sounds;
They actually sort of already have something that can help this sort of loss. They have something called a high frequncy transponder. Not really sure on the specifics, but you might want to talk to your audi and see if it might help you.

You might want to send an e-mail to Cochlear (the company who manufactures the device) via their website to ask them for more information:

Contact Us

Perhaps Cochlear could also put you in touch with a doctor who works with the Hybrid and can give you anecdotal information about what the possible outcomes are for this device.

:welcome: lynndelaga!

You've come to the right place and there is one poster on here that has a daughter going through some kind of trial. Guess it's too early in the morning to think of what it is and her name. I'm sure someone will come along and let us know what and who!

Have a good day!

The FDA is still trying to get this approved, but according to the study and article, it's getting good ratings in that of the 80 patients tested in 1999, 96% of them had an improved hearing of 75%improvement (after hybrid CI placement) over their previous hearing tests.

Basically, I want anyone's opinion here. I, myself, am considering doing this "hybrid" CI, but only after FDA approval (they're thinking maybe some time next year, they'll get the approval). What are your thoughts on this, and is this something I should consider (I have that "ski-slope" hearing loss as mentioned before)?

I believe you actually meant that Cochlear is trying to get this approved BY FDA? and Cochlear Corp. is the company that do offer Hybrid CI.

This is only information I can find on Cochlear's website;
First Hybrid Cochlear Implant Recipient There's no product information on that just press release

"I believe you actually meant that Cochlear is trying to get this approved BY FDA? and Cochlear Corp. is the company that do offer Hybrid CI. "

Thanks for correcting me. hahaha That IS exactly what I meant. Cochlear is trying to get this approved by the FDA. Thanks!

lynn, you didn't answer my question......have you looked into high frequncy transponders? I mean I definitly think the hybrid CI is gonna be a good option for a lot of people, but I also think that a lot of people aren't aware about the option of high frequncy transponders. There really doesn't seem to be too much information out there about them..........but I mean you might want to see if the high frequncy transponders could help you. I think it might be worth a shot.

DD,

Not all insurance companies pay for frequency transposition HAs. That's something Lynn will have to consider when making her decision.

Lynn,

Here is a link that contains several articles about the Hybrid CI:

Hybrid Cochlear Implants

Back