New Here

Melissa Collins

Reaction score
Just wanted to say hi to everyone on here. I am new to this. join because I am looking for someone to teach me sign launge because of my 3yrd son. He is deaf in one ear and has lost at least half of his hearing in the right ear. He is my pride a joy and trying to learn how to talk w/ him better

Welcome. You should be having someone come to your home to work with your son. Contact your area education agency.

Hi , I am also new to this forum..but uh Welcome!.. My daughter received Early Intervention in our home along with OT initially the referral was made by her pediatrician. Then at 3 hrs old the school district took over..it helped tremendously she was diagnosed with a severe speech delay..

Hello Melissa! I'll jump up on that bandwagon: we found early intervention to be AMAZING! A week after arriving home from China with my daughter -- even before we got the formal diagnosis that my daughter had profound hearing loss in both ears -- we had a wonderful SLP at our home using ASL with my daughter (and us). She soon added twice weekly parent-child sessions in an ASL-based group environment (with interpreters for newbies like me), along with 1X weekly info sessions for parents, moderated by a school psychologist who has worked many years with Deaf children and their families and frequented by educators, experienced parents of deaf kids, and deaf students willing to communicate their experiences. After two years of EI, that same wonderful SLP was hired by my daughter's deaf school at the same time my daughter turned 3 and began full-time preK in a class with other deaf kids with CIs -- and is her 3X weekly Communications instructor.

I have been learning ASL first through state provided Family Sign classes in my home, then through classes offered in the evening at my daughter's school, and I'm trying to get into an intensive program this summer (saving my pennies, bc it'll require a hefty tuition bill, but I think it will be worth it to move into really using the language at a level beyond that of my 5YO). Looking back, I wish I'd done immersion sooner.

am looking for someone to teach me sign launge because of my 3yrd son. He is deaf in one ear and has lost at least half of his hearing in the right ear.
YAY!!!!!!
Is he in a Dhh program? Is he getting services from Kentucky School for the Deaf?
Contact, Kentucky Association of the Deaf. Some Associations of the Deaf offer mentor programs where Deaf adults serve as language models for families with newly identified dhh kids.
Oh...does he have a progressive loss? How is is speech? Are you satisfyed with the speech and educational services he's getting?

and I'm trying to get into an intensive program this summer (saving my pennies, bc it'll require a hefty tuition bill,
Grendel, is that the ASL Immersian program at Northeastern? If so, I shall meet you! I am going to do that course too!

Just wanted to say hi to everyone on here. I am new to this. join because I am looking for someone to teach me sign launge because of my 3yrd son. He is deaf in one ear and has lost at least half of his hearing in the right ear. He is my pride a joy and trying to learn how to talk w/ him better.

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. I do hope you are talking to him in ASL as a primary sign language. It will make your son more understanding what you are saying than in oral language. If you continue to talk to him in oral, he will get frustrated not understanding why he has difficult time making ends tail of what you are speaking. So please use ASL. :cool2:

I hope you enjoy reading and posting all the threads here. See you around here. :wave:

It will make your son more understanding what you are saying than in oral language. If you continue to talk to him in oral, he will get frustrated not understanding why he has difficult time making ends tail of what you are speaking. So please use ASL
You can always do both. Overall we believe in a full toolbox.
Although you do say that he has an aidable ear....which is awesome. He will develop spoken language. Many if not virtually ALL hoh kids develop spoken language. ...but its awesome you want him to sign!!!! :) A lot of hoh kids don't get that :(

yes we had first steps threw the sate and the little man turned three. Now he is attending New Hevan Elem. witch is awesome. I just dont want to be a parent who can not talk to there child. He is the best thing in my life and i love him with all my heart.

Now he is attending New Hevan Elem. witch is awesome. I just dont want to be a parent who can not talk to there child.
YAY!!!!!! IsNow he is attending New Hevan Elem. witch is awesome. I just dont want to be a parent who can not talk to there child. that one of the schools that have a formal dhh program? I'm very excited....and I'm psyched that you want to learn ASL too. It is a lot of fun, and who knows? I know parents who learned ASL for their kids, who decided to be 'terps, TODs etc etc. Not only does it open doors for the kid, it can do that for the parents! We do have a lot of parents who are using ASL with their kids, or who learned ASL.

Back