New here

Mrman

Reaction score
Hello to all! My name is Aaron. I'm from Texas. I am hearing but I'm very interested in working with Deaf/HH as a career. I was wondering if there are any shortages of jobs that really need someone who can sign and is somewhat familiar with Deaf Culture.

I'm only 18 and this is my third year learning ASL. I will continue learning in college next too. I do have a few Deaf friends and I sign as often as I can. I have interpreted before and I enjoyed it. I actually feel more comfortable signing than talking.

I think that Texas has a very large deaf crowd.

The best luck in your goal going for interpreter.

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. I hope you enjoy reading and posting here. See you around here. :wave:

My friend's interpreter told me there aren't many guy interpreters and I could try for that. I wanted to know about other jobs with deaf. Do audiologist use ASL to talk to the patient or do they usually have an interpreter with them? I would think it would be useful to have an audiologist who can sign since the patient can't hear very well or at all.

My friend's interpreter told me there aren't many guy interpreters and I could try for that. I wanted to know about other jobs with deaf. Do audiologist use ASL to talk to the patient or do they usually have an interpreter with them? I would think it would be useful to have an audiologist who can sign since the patient can't hear very well or at all.

Signing audiologist is definitely a good goal.

We watched a video in ASL class about the process of getting a cochlear implant and the audiologist wasn't signing with the patient. I thought that basic ASL would have been required since a lot of patients would probably be deaf.

I don't really remember having an audiologist that signed at all when I was growing up. Would be nice to have 1.

Over the years, most of the audiologists that I had been with do not sign and I have wonder why they don't sign. Maybe AGBell Organizations must have want most audiologists not to sign. If you are lucky to find one or two audiologists sign, then that is good thing to know the audiologist do care about d/Deaf patients or clients. :(

Maybe I'll be one of the few that do sign. I think it'd be a lot easier to help someone of you know the same language.

Back